Is being a woman a disablity?

HardwareBoB

Car(s)
2003 Astra SRi Turbo
I'm on my way home at the moment on the train, and when I got on the train, I walked in, took a second to take my backpack off so I could sit in the one available seat. While I was doing that, obviously the woman behind me (who I couldn't see) had been eyeing off the seat, because as I sat down, she muttered "oh, the perfect gentleman".
She's probably 40ish, looks healthy, wearing a suit.
I'm male, 26, also in suit.
she had to spend a whole 10 minutes or so standing up watching her ipod touch before she got a seat. how terrible.
I frequently offer my seat to elderly, infirm, disabled or pregnant people, so I'll be damned if I give it up for some stupid sexist middle age bitch.

Last edited:
I'll only give up my seat to a hot chick. :lol:

I'm going with a solid No. Being a woman does not mean that you have lost the ability to stand for a period of time.

Great topic, this is still a huge problem, woman want equality yet still except all the practices that were used to woo them. I have the same attitude, your able to stand just as well as I am.

I'm losing faith in the whole good things come to nice guys. Typically I've gone out of my way to open doors for women, offer them my seat, or anything else that might make their day a little nicer. But my considerate acts never receive anything more than an obligatory thank you. Why is it that the biggest jerks get the nicest girls? And why must those nice girls see stick with them when they're obviously being treated like crap? Maybe it's time to let out my inner asshole.

/pours a shot of rum to make everything better
//loves that warm fuzzy feeling as it goes down
///ahhhh yeh!

Last edited:
I'm losing faith in the whole good things come to nice guys. Typically I've gone out of my way to open doors for women, offer them my seat, or anything else that might make their day a little nicer. But my considerate acts never receive anything more than an obligatory thank you. Why is it that the biggest jerks get the nicest girls? And why must those nice girls see stick with them when they're obviously being treated like crap? Maybe it's time to let out my inner asshole.

/pours a shot of rum to make everything better
//loves that warm fuzzy feeling as it goes down
///ahhhh yeh!

Oh I see, I'am not the only one out there!
Cheers mate :) !

Typically I've gone out of my way to open doors for women, offer them my seat, or anything else that might make their day a little nicer. But my considerate acts never receive anything more than an obligatory thank you.

Exactly.
Opening a door should result in sex and giving up a seat, well, y'know... while you're down there.
:p

(BTW my old man was basically insulted by woman when he opened a door for her, how do like them apples!)

Let me be entirely blunt: This is a major pet peeve of mine. I completely agree with most of what has been said here, but I take it a step further.

(Please keep in mind that I consider myself a feminist. No, you don't need to be female to be a feminist.)

I am for total equality in all things. Equality in race, religion, sexual orientation and gender. The fact is that women have gotten all the attention for the last 100 years or so in this country (US), and frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of it. That is not to say that I am in any way opposed to the incredible strides that women have made in modern history, the devotion and furor with which they fought for the right to vote, to work and for equal pay (still not there yet, but I'll get back to that later). My problem is that feminism seems to have stopped being about fighting for equal rights and has become an excuse, an unassailable platform from which women can whine about not getting their due. Didn't get a job? It must be a man's fault! Not getting the pay you deserve? Sexism! Horseshit.

Want to know the real reason women don't get the same pay or the promotions that men do? I've read years of the research and here's the answer: They don't fight for it. Women tend not to negotiate salary and take the early offer; they wait for promotions to be offered while others (men) are kissing ass, pressing palms and selling themselves to the corporate bosses. In short, women tend to settle for less. Well guess what? If you don't fight for it, the way your mothers and grandmothers did for suffrage, then you don't get to bitch about it. Period. End of fucking discussion. I have no more sympathy for someone who cries about being thirsty but won't get up to get a glass of water.

Moving out of the corporate world and into the purely social realm, I continue to get torqued up by the inequality. Guys, when was the last time you were at a bar and a woman bought you a drink? When was the last time a woman asked you out and paid for the meal and the cab ride? It happens, but in a minuscule proportion compared to the number of times the man pays. He's expected to pay, they know it and we know it. Pink Username Brigade, no offense, but how many times do you pick up the tab or send a drink to a guy? How many times have you gotten dressed up and gone out expecting guys to pay for your drinks? Hardly seems fair, maybe this could be where all that extra money we earn is going. It sounds to me like men have higher expenses, even in these modern and emancipated times.

Ahh, the media, bringer of corporate news and ads that question the health of one's bowel movements; also provider of social stereotypes. Oh, this is a favorite of the feminists. They prattle on about how young girls are taught by fairy tales that they need a good man to be complete, that toys encourage them to want to cook and clean, and that they just need to be pretty enough for Prince Charming to rescue them and take them away. Valid points, all; but what about the flip side of the coin? Let's take a look at that same story, what does it say about men? We are told that our purpose, our reason for being is to rescue the maiden... simple as pie, we just have to be a knight in shining armor (have you ever polished that stuff? It takes for sodding ever!) on a white steed (you try riding in 200 lb of plate steel) ride in gallantly to the rescue (we look real gallant when a crane is lifting our metallic ass into the saddle), single-handedly assault the castle, defeat the guards, slay the villain/witch/dragon, wake up the fair maiden with a kiss so good it snaps her out of a coma, and live happily ever after. *whew* That's all, no biggie.

So what happens when we try to offer a token gesture of chivalry? About 10% of the time we get a genuine "thank you" and a smile, 80% of the time a dismissive "thanks" and 10% of the time we get bitched at for keeping women down and not letting them be equal. Well fuck you too, lady, I genuinely think you need it.

Back to media for a moment. We are bombarded with criticism about how the media establishes unrealistic expectations for how women are supposed to look. Magazines, TV, and movies all contribute to men and women not knowing what a natural woman should look like. Again, what about the flip side of that coin. We hear all about Cosmo, Vogue,and other fashion magazines directed at women, along with Maxim and Playboy. But what about Men's Health? What about all those ads that feature obnoxiously skinny blokes with defined *cough*airbrushed*cough* muscles? Are those messages any less potent? Do men have fewer body-image issues than women? The answer is no. In fact, eating disorders among adolescent males is equal to or higher than in adolescent females, only the males go unnoticed because they throw in anabolic steroid use to get that impossibly chiseled body. (I don't have the source on this, but I wrote a paper on it for a class a few semesters ago; just trust me.)

Men are the new marginalized group. There is no room for men to act as men in polite society, but we are seeing a backlash. Just look at the media, there have been a rash of ads over the past year that specifically target men and show men "acting like men" and doing stereotypically male things. I have heard no end to the bitching about it, either. Political correctness is out of control, and I, for one, refuse to play in that sandbox anymore. I think I made that decision when a rabid diesel-dyke shouted at me when I warned her that the man-hole cover was slippery. Fuck you, I won't call it a "person-hole cover." You can find out the hard way that the circular cast plate of steel set into the concrete aggregate pedestrian walkway is wet and slipper when you fall on your ass. This is my thanks for offering a friendly warning.

At this point I honestly think feminism is nothing more than political and emotional blackmail. If a man fails to defend a woman's honor ... or open a door, I guess that works too, he's an insensitive clod. If he does then he's a chauvinist who wants to keep women bare foot in the kitchen. We can't win, yet for some reason we persist. We continue to buy the drinks and the meals, to open the doors and be cursed or ignored for our efforts. We continue to endure an equal number of eating disorders (compounded by steroid use), and under reported numbers of sexual assault, harassment, and domestic violence.

Women say they want equality, but 95% of them have no idea what that means. When women start fighting for the right to register for the Selective Service (that means the draft for anyone without a penis) at the age of 18, then, and only then, will feminism once more have my support. Until then, you have all that you need, make the most of your privilege without your responsibility. Enjoy that long maternity leave, I think we fathers only get a couple days to bond with our newborns.

Remember, I am an advocate of feminism and true equality. Start fighting for that and I will march right along side you.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly, blind. I always try to be the gallant, chivalrous guy and hold the door and whatnot, but more often than not I get no more than an insincere thanks at best. I've gotten some really awkward stares for holding doors.

:clap: :bow: :bow: @Blind

Enjoy that long maternity leave, I think we fathers only get a couple days to bond with our newborns.

Uh yeah, my wife gets 15 weeks, i get 2 days. Talk about inequality there.

One way of ending discrimination in the work place - make Paternity leave= maternity leave.

1. The Father never (unless the woman is actually clinically insane or non functioning) gain custody of the children in custody cases.

2. In the UK they never ever enforce court orders for access on women. So there have been cases where the dad lives down here and the wife deliberately moves several hundred miles away and when dad turns up for his time with the kids - and oh they have gone out! Every time!!! Dad goes for enforcement gets a court order - woman ignores it, court does damn all.

Last edited:
This kinda begs the question...if the seat was available, and she saw it, why didn't she just move in and take it herself? Can't really blame a vagina on your inability to muscle strangers out of the way for your 10 minutes of bus-riding comfort.

Chivalry isn't dead, but neither is blatant pandering, unfortunately.

I dont see whats wrong with keeping doors open/letting them have your seat, etc. it doesnt mean they are disabled, godly, or better/worse than us men. its just something nice to do. Yes most barely say thanks, but who cares? all you will lose is 10seconds of your life. Some women do care though, and they will let you know they appreciate it. that to me is enough to keep doing it.

about going to a bar (etcetc) and getting drinks from women, I think more women should do it. Its something I let them know depending on the woman/group . All fun and games though, if they dont feel like doing a small act of kindness, it lets me know a bit more about them. so its a win-win situation.

...work related stuff, Im neither mature enough or care for it to know anything about it, so I cant comment on that.

women are the most beautiful things on earth, its alright to do something nice once in a while.

sorry about sp/grammar. Ill do better in school, promis

To add to what Blind said, which by the way was the best post this year in my opinion. The main problem seen in this, (this comes from articles I've read as well as personal observation) is the mens lack of standing up for being constantly insulted as a gender in general. There are so many times that woman call Men Stupid, Lazy, Assholes, Jerks, Dicks, etc on TV shows, the workplace, and at home, and it is not considered sexiest by either woman of the people quality checking the media, Such things have lead to woman being able to the openly criticize men for any sort of mistake or just generally being male, and we just stand there and take it, this is both verbal abuse and sexism, though I sound like I am getting carried away here I am not, just last month on digg I found an article pertaining to just exact subject, if my bookmarks had not erased I would have included it, but it brought up the points that I just made.

The other problem from the Manly way of sucking things up and living with it is Abuse at home, woman claim that far more woman are abused at home, while I am not debating this statistic, I am saying that the reason the gap is so large is because males for the most part don't report this kinds of things, from their upbringings they have been taught to be tough and to not be weak in any sort of way.

This also pertains to Chronic eating disorders in males brought about stress and other factors in their lifes being expected to pay for everything before their wedding, the bullshit 3 months salary engagement ring, the dinners, the movies, the rides and general expenses. And then being in a marriage where the wife usually comments on how useless the male is for not making enough money, or for her having to work too because he is too stupid to be able to provide for the family and all the other excuses. Females are taught that they have the power, and even though the males are expected to do all the things leading up the marriage they feel that should be able to control the sex. That would be quite fair if males had not already provided all those items for them.

In the ancient world, one before all these presets, Men were judged solely on Power and Woman mainly on looks, the best men would have many mates. So basicly the female was providing sex which the male wanted (you could say needed :D) while the make provided protection, food and other items. So the cycle that grew from that was Materials for Sex, which was seen to work very well for both sexes until the early 20th century with the advent of equal rights. This turned the scales upside down and mean Woman now would have access to the Power/ Materials/ Money and still have the Sex, Now this is why now males are getting so screwed in a way, the females no longer need any of these items, now in most marriages, both partners work, most single woman work, there are many woman in the Fortune 500 List of the Worlds Wealthiest People. In giving woman equal rights, we have really tipped the scales the woman now have both Power and Sex vs. the Male Power. So what males have to do is simple either back down from the Power and allow Woman to become "equal" when the prodomienantly male trades and labor jobs are phased out for the non physical jobs that woman mostly hold, giving him higher earnings, which is predicted to happen in our lifetimes, or we step up to the plate and take back some of that power to bring balance to the sexual equality scale, now this does not have to be in jobs, though in terms of maintaining equality in the the next 40 years it will have to be, but also in the sexual part, men need to stop buying woman drinks, stop buying them items, and be generally harder to get, because though men earlier on in life want sex more, I'm sure that if men stopped making it so easy, woman would either stop requiring the ancient materials tradition from men and balance out the scales or they could even tip the other way in woman being able to ask men for sex the way we do.

The scales will tip more in the womans direction in the future, I am not sexiest in any way, this is just economics, with outsourcing and technology, a lot of male dominated jobs will disappear, while the female jobs will still be readily available, and in post secondary institutions, woman are out attending men and have been for many years, and the connection between higher wages and post secondary has been shown.

But away from the economic and onto the sexual side, men please stop giving woman so much power in the form of sex, stick up for yourself and don't feel bad if you bed a girl, you paid for it. Not that a am in favor of such an attitude, I'm just saying according to ancient society, thats the way it works.

Woman, please don't complain about men being assholes and only caring about sex, because you cannot deny you like it just as much as they do, and its a lot better to be paid in some form for sex then having to pay for it. So if you really don't have to have a one night stand, then put more value on personality then on their wallet.

As a final example on a far more personal level, I find myself not holding doors anymore for woman, but for more for couples and for men, I mean that may sound weird, but males seem to actually thank you for doing that, while woman either react in a negative way and just expect it. I personally think instead of being double standardized by woman we should help our fellow male comrades out, so the next time you see a guy looking sad and has a lot to carry, open the door for him. Because he will probably appreciate it a lot more then a woman.