Is Elon Musk gambling his business empire?

:love:
FgWoBHhagAAmTpB.jpg:ROFLMAO:

Elon Musk is apparently freaking out a little over an exodus of advertisers on Twitter since he took over, because he publicly threatened them on Friday night.

It started Friday morning, when he whined in an extremely Trump-like tweet that advertisers were fleeing because of “activist groups,” which he said was “Extremely messed up!” and an attempt “to destroy free speech in America.” He also insisted “nothing has changed” since he took over.

Among the many replies to this tweet was Federalist Society fellow Mike Davis, a lawyer best known for his involvement with the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch. Davis had some advice for Musk of fairly dubious legal wisdom:
“Name and shame the advertisers who are succumbing to the advertiser boycotts. So we can counter-boycott them. And get your $8 monthly subscription going asap. So we can start to makeup for lost revenue now,” he said in part.

Musk’s reply: “Thank you. A thermonuclear name & shame is exactly what will happen if this continues.”

Should we thank him in advance for the Twitter Guide to Ethical Shopping? 🤔

Elon won't allow free speech on Twitter if he still cared about advertising revenues. The ESG funded companies won't advertise on Twitter if they don't censor certain things. I don't think this will change Twitter much, it'll still die a slow death but it'll linger on for many more years.

Elon won't allow free speech on Twitter if he still cared about advertising revenues. The ESG funded companies won't advertise on Twitter if they don't censor certain things. I don't think this will change Twitter much, it'll still die a slow death but it'll linger on for many more years.

ESG?

I still think much of this coverage of Twitter is just advertising Twitter.

I'm reading The Chaos Machine: The Inside Story of How Social Media Rewired Our Minds and Our World. Mostly Facebook, but also Twitter, Whatsapp, YouTube, ect, an insiders view of ads, money, engagement, anger and ethnic unrest.

I ask you to get this book read Chapter 11 Dictatorship of the Like

The Supreme Court has a chance to help or hinder coming up.

Understanding the corrosive nature of social media products you can see that Musk actions are not political in essence rather adjacent to the plan.

This all seems consistent: cut overhead, throw red meat, $8 premium service, pivot to financial services? It's the best business plan of a bad situation which will get worse for Musk if Section 230 were to disappear.

The product Twitter is offering is shoddy and people will eventually recognize it unless Twitter finds something else.

Musk in his midlife crisis/ bromance with Dorsey was drawn in with the best of intentions only to find a potential unsolvable riddle. In that I think he often in frustration, or having gotten high on his now own product, speaks like an ass. He threatened his main source of income. Advertisers with reasonable questions of moderation and risk... got their answer. If you use Twitter It's not like those ads will go unfilled there is a pillow man behind the bushes waiting to buy them at lower prices. A whole separate universe of shoddy products are waiting to replace those name brands.

In regards to the name shame game... Things change people fall out of love. Look how Conservatives brand love have changed since Trump.

June 2016
Top 10 Companies Most Loved By Conservatives

1. Walt Disney
2. Amazon
3. Apple
4. Microsoft
5. Wal-Mart Stores
6. Exxon Mobil
7. Alphabet (Google)
8. Ford Motor
9. Johnson & Johnson
10. Coca-Cola

A majority of their most loved brands then they already claim to boycott today.

Didn't some GOP blow-hard say that if they take the house or senate, they would launch, like, an extortion investigation against the companies that dropped their Twitter advertising? I swear I remembered reading something yesterday, but can't sem to find reference to it now. Maybe I dreamt it.

Yeah, but I thought there was one that specifically mentioned "extortion". Again, maybe it was from a dream. Ha!

Threatening to sue the ADL, NAACP and other civil rights organizations.... 🍿

Fg95SqvWIAEo18S.jpg

Fg-L2i8WQAA3JYj.png

Screenshot 2022-11-07 141811.jpg

The „thermonuclear name and shame“ will probably be a better ad campaign than anything those companies have run on Twitter itself in years. And they’re not even paying for it 🤣
I mean, Elon's little pissbaby meltdown already definitely reminded me that I needed to buy Porsche parts. Thanks, nerds! My engine rebuild can go on.