Is it completely insane to buy a used Maserati?

yes, it would be. It would also be completely awesome in every possible way.

AFAIK the newer ones (late 90s/early 2000s) are quite reliable, but you have to factor in fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc.

but if you do decide to do it, please post pictures of it. i'll love you long time :heart: :heart:

completely insane.

Rather get a second hand Porsche 911 series. That Maser Quattroporte is a POS.

The idea of driving to the local Ferrari dealership for a oil change is terrifying. I think like most people I have three souls. 1/3 wants something practical/reliable, 1/3 wants something cool, and lastly 1/3 wants something fast.

So how about this question? What I would really want is a true GT. A honest to god coupe, RWD, performance, but with enough room in the back that you can have more then one friend. Something like the old 944 or 928s of my childhood.

Question is: If Porsche doesn't seem to make that style of car anymore. Who is the next best thing? Who still makes a real cool GT? Or more importantly one that can be bought in the States?

Pontiac GTO. Stupid cheap. 400hp. 6 speed manual, phenomenal handling, excellent interior. Probably faster than the I6 DB7, although not nearly as good looking. Still quite handsome though.

BradsCar.jpg

Heres one for sale around here, they are NOT hard to find.
35k Miles, just a tick over 20k.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/904537058.html

Has the very sexy red interior also.

Last edited:
One of the effects of watching a lot of Top Gear is that cars like the GTO start to look good. I remember when it first came out all I did was go "that's NOT a GTO!." Then never bothered to look at any stats. Now after watching the Top Gear guys go into detail about how cool it is I'm having second thoughts....

That is the thing about Top Gear. The show awakings lusts for cars that are not necessarily realistic.

I think I am going to sit on the sidelines watching our economic downturn (depression?) and take a look at car prices in a few months. Italian and English cars depreciate like the wind. You have to be a dedicated car fan to want to own one or at the very least someone who is willing to own them for years. I'm thinking if you have the capital you can get some incredible deals. There is something increadibly attractive about owning something rare.

Heck my local Porsche dealership has 5K-12K mark downs on 2008 models. But I agree with one of the above posters. The best pure deal in terms of value is a Porsche. The reliability and lack of major deprecation is key. Now if only they still had the 928 designers and didn't make everything look like a 911...

You'd be crazy to buy a second-hand Maserati.

Do it.

I saw a Quattroporte on the highway today, and my god was it gorgeous, so forget everything I said and just get the maser.

I agree with everyone here. It will be an economical disaster, you will lose your money, your wife, you'll have to sell your kids for medical experiments. Your friends will stop calling you and your boss will fire you. It will break down all the time and you can't go more than 100 miles without a fill up. It's plainly a stupid, insane and just catastrophically idiotic idea.

Do it. Do it now.

Last edited:
Not insane at all, but that's going by my choice of car...

Buy it!

Dude, as one of the few that has had an italian car in my garage (or better said my family's garage), I wouldn't worry too much about reliability. We drove a Fiat to 120.000+ km and it never failed (it was sold), and a pair of Alfas way past 200.000km.

Now, maintenance, that'll be awful. The 166 has $1100 front break pads, but they did last about 50.000km once, it drinks synthetic oil (and thanks you caring for it by going through about a quart evert 10 thou KM), we have never changed a clutch but that'll be the better part of a grand, plus labor.
Oh, and on a very good day, the Alfa does about 17 liters per 100km of the most expensive fuel you can get please, otherwise you'll get knocking and a little tremble at stoplights.

Not insane, just stupid, but brave and ballsy at the same time.

If you buy it, by all means, but don't be a wimp about $$

Hell I bought an RX7. Don't be a pansy :p

Totally forgot the GTO! Massive power in big, practical coupe form. Nothing like the Maserati but it's a good compromise.

Yes
3365713_2.jpg

Yes.
3365713_11.jpg

Yes!!!!
3365713_27.jpg

You can get a V12 DB7 with under 50k miles for $45k. I am astounded.

The Maserati would bankrupt you. Mostly by routine repairs and services.

If you want a GT style car, The GTO can be had cheaply, same with a 05+ Mustang GT...

Or if you can afford about 30k Look at the new Pontiac G8 GT.

Test drove one and I do love it. GXP G8 will be my next car...if GM ever makes it.

One of the effects of watching a lot of Top Gear is that cars like the GTO start to look good.
Starting to look good? Man, looking at it objectively, a used GTO is the deal of the ... century, I don't know. Fast, fairly good looking, good suspension, fantastic aftermarket and it even gets decent gas mileage. As awesome a 'cheap' Maserati would be, I'd get a GTO.

The Maser is not a bad choice if it has seen all the service (which is fairly limited). there IS a significant service at 30,000 miles, that will cost 5 grand, that would obviously be a core concern. And in general the little things will cost a bit more...but it's not crazy.

Do keep in mind that the 'automatic' mode in that tranny is best only for valets to move the car -- it's not very good at all. Driven with the paddles, it's brilliant.

Go sit in one and you'll appreciate instantly the difference between it and other cars mentioned in this thread.

Steve