Is it Prost or Prosit?

Phila

Car(s)
1995 Subaru Legacy, 2008 Subaru Legacy
Ever since I was a little kid my family taught me the German way to say "Cheers" is Prost and that Austrians say Prosit. When I was in Germany (Frankfurt am Main mostly) everyone said Prost.

Yet here at school, I have been told by a ton of German speaking kids that I'm saying it wrong and it is, in fact, Prosit.

So whats right here?

So what does 264 mean? Did 263 people already have the username Prost? :D

Might be wrong, but Prosit is the older and a little bit more lyrical version of Prost as far as I'm aware. Prosit is used in the standard chants in the Oktoberfest-tents whereas Prost is the common expression used pretty much everywhere else these days.

Isn't prosit also a polish (or czech word)? Not sure, but i think i heard it said before.
/edit: found it - it is a czech word but the meaning is similar as in my language - to beg. So never mind.

Last edited:
Prosit is ok but not much used, Prost is ok (spoken "Proscht" in swiss german) but in my region we use " Zum Wohl" (means "to well-being")

Greetings, lip

So what does 264 mean? Did 263 people already have the username Prost? :D

264 is because I was the 264th graduating class from my high school. My high school is the second oldest in the country and was the 3rd best (in ~2003) in the country. We are very proud of our school and we take that number to the grave. When you meet someone who also went there, you always introduce yourself by class number first. 8)

This saying was obviously coined by the French to celebrate Alain Prost's success in F1! :p

AlainProst02.jpg

Last edited:
Prosit in danish is 'bless you' (or gesundheit, if were speaking german in here)

Guess thats why you say ? sant? (may have gotten the accents horribly wrong...) in France ;-)

In Bavaria you never here Prosit, only Prost, so I'd recommend you roll with that...

In Bavaria you never here Prosit, only Prost, so I'd recommend you roll with that...

Everywhere I went in Germany it was Prost only, thats why I held my position that I was correct when arguing with the morons here at school. :lol:

Prosit in danish is 'bless you' (or gesundheit, if were speaking german in here)

Don't take all the credit for "prosit"!!! It's "prosit" in Sweden and probably norway aswell.. ;)

well, prosit originates from latin the latin word prodesse (actually prosit is the third-person singular conjunctive present of prodesse, if that makes any sense to you) which basically means "it may be helpful/useful." prost is just the german shortened version of prosit. i hope this makes sense, since i just had a couple of prosits in accordance with 4 weizen-beers and a j?germeister and thus i'm quite drunk. :D

^You can't go wrong with J?germeister!!

The correct way to pronounce it in English is "fuck off", or so I hear.