Is paint protection a scam?

stiggie

pop
Car(s)
Golf GTI
Automotive paint protection- is it just a way for dealers to squeeze more money out of you or is it really worth it?

Does it really do anything?

Read the fine print. I got the paint protection plan for my Mustang because the dealer said everything was covered, but when I took it in with a few rock chips they told me I was SOL. That said for me its still worth it since I work in a heavily industrial area and occasionally get these weird yellow marks in the paint and those ARE covered.

Are you talking about some kind of insurance?

I'm talking about the protective coating they try to sell you at the dealership.

Possibly... I've seen some good detailing add a small layer of protection to paint through the use of applicable coatings like waxes and other synthetic products. I wouldn't buy it from the dealership, though. It's a surefire way to be charged a large premium.

Are you talking about some kind of insurance?

I'm talking about the protective coating they try to sell you at the dealership.

Ah, my dealer packaged the coating and warranty together into a set so I thought that was standard practice. I'd really have think about it if I were buying a new car, but a coverage only? Forget it. Get it done at some paint detailing place. They're usually cheaper and use better quality products than the dealer.

Sure. Say you don't mention the tree sap on your roof for an extended period of time. When you go to take it off would you rather it take the paint or coating off with it?

'Paint protection' can also be a clear 3M film layer (like vinyl wrap) applied over the entire car. The big question is 'what do they mean by paint protection.'

See, they install that TruCoat at the factory, there's nothin' we can do.

Paint protection? What's that? My paints beyond protecting now. :lol:

Clear Plasti-dip though. Seriously.

See, they install that TruCoat at the factory, there's nothin' we can do.

Without the TruCoat, you're going to get oxidation problems.

like.

Its snake oil from the dealer.
There are plenty of protective options out there, just do them your self and save your wallet a complete an utter raping.
Its not unheard of for dealers to charge upwards of 300 for a 25 dollar bottle of product and 10 minutes of buffing.