Is SBS about to test the power of Torrents?

They can do it in the UK because of laws that allow the BBC to use any music they like on TV there without having to worry about securing rights for it. But that doesn't apply to shows when they sell them overseas.

While I didn't at first know I was missing anything the power of the internet has shown me the error of my ways and I therefore will also continue to download the original version of TG regardless of how quickly SBS shows it. I will also watch it on SBS, however, in some weird way it is interesting to see what is cut and what difference it makes to the overall product.

I also like to have the entire season to watch over again (and over and over :))I can't do this with the SBS versions unless I invest in a DVD burner or video tape them all both of which leave me with a huge pile of tapes or DVDs for me to then store, by downloading them the original versions remain forever on my hard drive (well until it dies - touch wood that it wont happen thou)

I have a theory.

SBS is the Australian broadcaster that brings us convicts TopGear and more recently, mucked in with TopGear Australia.

Normally they broadcast TopGear UK episodes a full season behind, which is understandable, and leads hard-core fans to download and watch the current UK series via 'The Scene', or torrents.

However, SBS has changed the game. They're currently airing season 12, claiming we'll be able to 'catch up' with the UK series.

What this means is that when TopGear UK returns in March, SBS will in theory be able to air new episodes here on Monday nights, the day after they air in the UK. Negating the need for Aussie viewers to torrent the ep.
You were right up until that point.

Mate, when Top Gear UK returns in March, Top Gear AU will probably return for a new season and we will fall behind again, only to catch up to the latest series of TG UK after TG AU series 2 has finished.

ps - I think its great SBS is 'catching up' to the UK series like this. Most networks that run popular programs like to repeat series' over and over to milk them for all that their worth.

Actually, after UK series 12 finishes, SBS are showing the rest of UK series 2 which they stopped showing last year in order to premiere TopGear Australia.

Id be perfectly fine if they cut the SIARPC segment and kept everything else (as the SIARPC segment is usually quite boring) but what they usually do is cut bits and peices from every segment aswell as most of the studio banter which is ually really good.

I could easily live without the SINRPC but since they cut bits from other segments it forces me to download Top Gear online.

They seem to be cutting SIARPC from the BBC Knowledge season 6 eps, which is cool. (Although they are probably showing the normal edits, which begs the question why change what you are cutting out of it so often?)

On the whole would you still download eps thing, even if SBS showed the original BBC2 eps with no cutting or sub music, I would still download the ep. Why? Watching an ep once and then havng to wait years for it to (maybe) show again once or twice on BBC Knowledge (in edited form) doesn't cut it (no pun intended) for me. I want to watch it more than once (or twice) when I want to, thankyou SBS.

They seem to be cutting SIARPC from the BBC Knowledge season 6 eps, which is cool.

Yes, I remember the SIARPC being missing when series 6 was shown here in Australia back in 2006. In fact it was in response to Christopher Ecclestone's bit being cut (mrs stiggie was devistated) that I first contacted SBS to complain about the editing, only to be told that they is nothing they can do about it.

On the whole would you still download eps thing, even if SBS showed the original BBC2 eps with no cutting or sub music, I would still download the ep. Why? Watching an ep once and then havng to wait years for it to (maybe) show again once or twice on BBC Knowledge (in edited form) doesn't cut it (no pun intended) for me. I want to watch it more than once (or twice) when I want to, thankyou SBS.

But if they showed the whole, original episodes you could just recorded it to DVD when it was on TV and you'd have a version with much better quality than the torrents.

I remember Shaun Micallif's Newstopia show interviewing SBS newsreader Lee Lin Chin in the first series of the show; sort of went like this:

Shaun: What are your plans for this evening?
Lee: I'll be watching the latest episode of Top Gear
Shaun: But TG isn't on air at the moment?
Lee: I've downloaded them on bittorrent.

Last edited:
Wont make much difference to me if they show the latest episode on Monday night (given that the episode usually hits the torrents at about 3-5am AST that morning)

Not that early - most recent episodes were up around 8:30am AEDST (GMT/UTC +11). Will be earlier in to the next series after DST changes both ways (6:30am?).

Doesn't really matter though - the international version hurdle will be too much.

But if they showed the whole, original episodes you could just recorded it to DVD when it was on TV and you'd have a version with much better quality than the torrents.

I don't have a DVD recorder except in my laptop (my parents refuse to give up on VHS recording :wall: ) and there is no point in putting a TV tuner in my laptop as our reception is that bad (we only get SBS through Foxtel) and, once again, my parents refuse to get a better antenna.

GAH.

Just wondering... do all the Aussie here still watch the episodes on SBS even though they have already downloaded the episodes?

Generally no, if I stumble on them I'll keep watching, but I don't make a point of watching them.

Just wondering... do all the Aussie here still watch the episodes on SBS even though they have already downloaded the episodes?

I do, coz my dad watches them. One of those father-daughter sharing interests moments.
I probably would anyway, coz our TV's pretty awesome.

Here in the United States, we're a full series behind as well on BBC America (the last episode of Series 11 broadcasts this coming Monday) and we get the BBC World version with cuts to allow ads.

I torrent the UK feed the moment it's listed on this site, but I still watch the BBC American "re-broadcast", as well. Mainly because it looks better on my TV then on my LCD monitor.

I do. Well, the TV is on anyway. I might as well put something good on there.

When TGUK is in season, I watch it twice a week: the SBS episode on Monday night, and the new UK episode on Tuesday night. Makes the beginning of the week more tolerable. ;)

Generally no. When I lived at home with my parents I might've because they enjoy it, but since I've moved I havent been bothered.

i watch it on a monday night, gives me something to watch whilst i do ironing =)

but my biggest bug bear is them cutting the show, the music not so much, but the editing

i dont think there has been any news so far this season <_<

loosing the SIARPC would be fine, unless it was a star we know, or they do something special aka parkinson, jay kay, simon cowel or borris,

whilst ive never heard of boris before, i could at least laugh at jeremy's jokes about him (as most people can when a mayor is interviewed) btw, what is with that hair????

i would still download the torrent even if SBS showed it in full, un edited, cause i like to re-watch them :D

Despite it's shit on the telly and shit if you don't have foxtel, I still watch it every Monday Nights now that I've taken karate only once a week (I even asked Mum to record series 10 because I didn't download it) and whenever both of them are on, i download new TG, watch old TG.

Just for the hell of being a die hard fan.

Generally speaking, no, though I will use it as an ad filler should I be watching a commercial channel at the time.

Even if SBS showed the domestic (UK that is) version of Top Gear a day after it broadcast in the UK, I would still download it, to add to my collection.

Only if I'm seriously bored and there's nothing else to do... and it happens to be on. But beacuse of the annoyance of cuts and music, I end up grabbing the ep off my computer and watching it on TV instead.