Is SBS about to test the power of Torrents?

Icedvovo

Car(s)
XJ Jeep, Volvo 142s, Manx Buggy, AE82 Corolla
I have a theory.

SBS is the Australian broadcaster that brings us convicts TopGear and more recently, mucked in with TopGear Australia.

Normally they broadcast TopGear UK episodes a full season behind, which is understandable, and leads hard-core fans to download and watch the current UK series via 'The Scene', or torrents.

However, SBS has changed the game. They're currently airing season 12, claiming we'll be able to 'catch up' with the UK series.

What this means is that when TopGear UK returns in March, SBS will in theory be able to air new episodes here on Monday nights, the day after they air in the UK. Negating the need for Aussie viewers to torrent the ep.

The question I have, will this effect the episode ratings and/or torrent download numbers. Curiously, research elsewhere suggests previewing of show via torrent downloads actually increases ratings. But only time will tell.

Whadayareckon?

:)

Wont make much difference to me if they show the latest episode on Monday night (given that the episode usually hits the torrents at about 3-5am AST that morning) because I want the whole, uncut episode with the news, original music pieces and most importantly, I want to watch it without ads and in my own time. SBS can't offer any of that.

Wont make much difference to me if they show the latest episode on Monday night (given that the episode usually hits the torrents at about 3-5am AST that morning) because I want the whole, uncut episode with the news, original music pieces and most importantly, I want to watch it without ads and in my own time. SBS can't offer any of that.

If they're cutting segments and changing music to air there, they won't be airing them 24 hours after the UK...

Agree with Red_Bull. The SBS versions are too cut up to cut it with the complete original show. Annoyingly, they never cut SIARPC out .... which is the part of the show I would miss least.

If only SBS didn't go commercial, I would still be downloading the torrent, because it's BBC Worldwide who makes the edit, not SBS. They just make it worse by putting ads in.

Keeping up with the BBC won't change anything IMO.

I'll still download and watch the original version, without edits, and with original music, as the TG team intended them to be presented.

If only SBS didn't go commercial, I would still be downloading the torrent, because it's BBC Worldwide who makes the edit, not SBS. They just make it worse by putting ads in.

Keeping up with the BBC won't change anything IMO.
It isn't the fault of SBS' commercials alone, I've noticed missing segments on ABC shows as well, it is just more obvious on SBS.

With SBS I've found emailing them works, as long as you are willing to wait about 6 months for them to act. I complained to them about the aspect ratio that the Newshour with Jim Lehrer was in (letterboxed and pillarboxed 16:9) and now it is finally fixed. So perhaps sending a nicely worded email to them might work, if enough people do it, they might actually do the overnight turnaround of the full episode, which would be fantastic.

^yeah what he said. Our own network has "caught up" with TG too, they showed the Corvette vs Cadillac vs Dodge Charger on the salt flats video last monday, but it was all shittyfied because of cuts everywhere and awful music...

So perhaps sending a nicely worded email to them might work, if enough people do it, they might actually do the overnight turnaround of the full episode, which would be fantastic.

Even if you got the full, unedited episode, the music would still be changed - unless the BBC can pull off some worldwide licensing agreement.

If they still edit I will still download as I want the compete ep.

Very interesting point you make about TGUK S13 though.

When I emailed SBS (many months ago) they told me they where planning to air S12 and then finish the last eps of S2 TGUK and then into S2 of TGAUS.

when TopGear UK returns in March, SBS will in theory be able to air new episodes here on Monday nights, the day after they air in the UK.

I doubt it. They film on wednesdays and air the following sundays. I can't see them getting the BBC2 version and the international version ready that quickly. But I hope I'm wrong, it would be great to see them that quickly.

As for torrents, I doubt SBS care if people are downloading the show as long as they are watching on TV too.

With SBS I've found emailing them works, as long as you are willing to wait about 6 months for them to act. So perhaps sending a nicely worded email to them might work, if enough people do it, they might actually do the overnight turnaround of the full episode, which would be fantastic.

Nope, won't happen. The BBC aren't allowed to sell them the full episode. Other BBC owned channels (such as BBC World) don't even get the full episode. The only place to see them in their entirety on TV is on BBC2. SBS' showing of commercials doesn't affect the content of the show at all. We see every bit that the BBC will sell us.

As for torrents, I doubt SBS care if people are downloading the show as long as they are watching on TV too.

Oh, believe me, any network with ratings cares about BT these days. And not for the reasons you may think.

For a bit of background on this issue 'find' and watch "Piracy is Good? - How Bittorent Killed TV" by Mark Pesce, who some may remember as a panelist from The New Inventors on the Australian ABC.

"Mark Pesce gives his infamous 2005 talk and carefully explains why the jig is up for television broadcasters, and how they need to reinvent themselves to work with audiences who are already in charge of distributing their own TV shows via BitTorrent. Check out the article to see more of what Pesce is talking about. This one is epic, a must-see for anyone who loves BitTorrent."

You'll find it on all the regular Scene sites and it will change the way you think about TV.

If they still edit I will still download as I want the compete ep.

I think this seems to be the general consensus.

And I agree, I hate the the TG Lite version we get in Oz. I was astounded when they cut the entire "hooking up the trailer" sequence from the Truck episode a couple of weeks back.

Last edited:
It isn't the fault of SBS' commercials alone, I've noticed missing segments on ABC shows as well, it is just more obvious on SBS.

With SBS I've found emailing them works, as long as you are willing to wait about 6 months for them to act. I complained to them about the aspect ratio that the Newshour with Jim Lehrer was in (letterboxed and pillarboxed 16:9) and now it is finally fixed. So perhaps sending a nicely worded email to them might work, if enough people do it, they might actually do the overnight turnaround of the full episode, which would be fantastic.

SBS have purchased the BBC World version, which is, as far as I know, the only version they're able to buy. It isnt their fault and I'm certain they'd be more than happy to show us the full episode with original music, etc, if they could, but it's out of their hands.

I didn't actually realise how much stuff is cut out of the international edit...it's a moot point for me anyway though. My piddling connection and download limit shared amongst five people at home prevents me from downloading torrents, so I'm pleased that I can get Top Gear UK on the SBS sooner rather than later, even if it is edited.

Even if SBS showed TG completely uncut with original music hours after it aired in the UK. I'd still download the torrent for originality. Also, it sounds weird, but I like hearing the BBC voiceovers at the end, Makes me think I'm in England for the hour instead of the communist country we seem to be living in now thanks to Rudd.

Reactions: JLM
As opposed to the racist, elitist, hyper-conservative, class-divided, hate-filled, rights-deprived, homophobic, xenophobic, terrorised, fascist country we were living in under Howard. :rolleyes:

Communist? :lol:

Rudd hasn't even given Australian workers back all the rights that Howard took from them, let alone made the country communist.

But back to the topic at hand-

It isn't like they really cut much. It is usually just the news. People who can't download the torrents aren't missing a whole lot.

Last edited:
As opposed to the racist, elitist, hyper-conservative, class-divided, hate-filled, rights-deprived, homophobic, xenophobic, terrorised, fascist country we were living in under Howard. :rolleyes:

Communist? :lol:

Rudd hasn't even given Australian workers back all the rights that Howard took from them, let alone made the country communist.

But back to the topic at hand-

It isn't like they really cut much. It is usually just the news. People who can't download the torrents aren't missing a whole lot.

In the African episode they cut out the part where hammond told Clarkson and May that he was going further up to cross the river. So you saw them at one point all together and the next shot for no reason at all, they were seperated, crossing at different bits.

To be honest I almost started regretting downloading all those episodes, I had no idea SBS would show them so quickly.

But my favourite part is still the news, and SBS still don't show it, so I'll still download.

Top Gear is a huge show in Australia, they advertise on massive billboards and trams in Melbourne now.

In the African episode they cut out the part where hammond told Clarkson and May that he was going further up to cross the river. So you saw them at one point all together and the next shot for no reason at all, they were seperated, crossing at different bits.

Oh I'm not saying that the news is all they ever cut. The African special of course didn't have any news (just like the American special) so they had to cut ther bits.

Last edited:
The BBC really need to find a way to get all the original music for ALL versions. If they can do it in the UK, surely they should be able to come to some agreement for the rest of the world.

On topic though, I'll still be downloading because I hate cuts and losing the original music.