is there or has there been a commentator better than murray?

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
i dont think there has,

jus been watching/listening to murrays commentary and i dont think i've known any commentator with such an ability to bring things to life.

i mean even on TG, he makes his short video about the McLaren F1 even more exciting than it would normally be.

heh he even made pizza exciting in the pizza hut adverts..... i dont think theres anyone i have ever listened to that manages to inject so much energy into a moving picture.

Murray was a good commentator, but he only become the greatest due to his time in the sport. Nobody will ever be like that again.

In my opinion James Hunt and Martin Brundle would be the top two. They had/have the knowledge of the sport that comes from being a driver, and could/can explain it to the viewers really well.

Neil Crompton is pretty good as well in my opinion...

Barry Shene

^ Bazza was very good!!

John Watson and Ben Edwards were a great team when they commentated the F1 for Eurosport. I think they now do the A1GP series. John Watson shits me sometimes so I reckon Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle would be a pretty good combination!

Barry Sheene was terrible. No, he really was.

Im still sticking with Martin Brundle and James Hunt.

To me John Watson is about the worst commentator I've heard.
He comes off as an arrogant ass and he just gets things wrong every once in a while.

Simple answer to the thread title: No.

And there never will be.

I like Ben Edwards, he's one of my favourite commentators these days. He and Jeremy Shaw were a fantastic team when they commentated the late 90's CART races.

I also like Carlton Kirby, though not as a live presenter(mind you, haven't heard much of his live commentary) but especially on his Dakar bulletins on Eurosport. On those he is simply fantastic.

But Murray is a legend, he really succeeded in showing his enthusiasm on his commentary without being irritating. And James Hunt was perfect alongside Murray in the commentary booth...

That was martin brundle in the commentary booth with murray. James Hunt is a fuckwit.

which channel does murray comment on?

He retired at the end of the 2001 Formula One season but he used to commentate the F1 on ITV and the BBC. In the last couple of years he's joined Australia's Channel 10 commentary team to present the Australian Grand Prix.

I thought the Walker/Brundle commentaries were the best ever in Formula One. James Allen doesn't do a bad job these days, but thats partly due to Martin B's excellent knowledge and analysis.

I preferred Murray/Hunt as best combo (Murray was, as has been said a legend and THE best commentator for motor sport I have ever seen) but Brundle is good too.

I remember from seeing some old clips on Youtube, that Sterling Moss was a commentator for a period, Jackie Stewart also did some commentating in the late 70s.

But over all Murray Walker is a legend at commentating. BTW; here's the the Top Gear McLaren F1 clip mentioned in post #1

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIws06WoAn4]Murray Walker nominates the McLaren F1 to the list of best cars ever on Top Gear[/youtube]