Is this game good enough to justify me buying a PS3?

Im now torn, I haven't played this game more than 3 times since I got it and my PS3.

I should give it some more time, get into it before I do anything daft. But at the moment Im actually thinking, once I've completed Fallout New Vegas, Just dump the 360 completely and keep the PS3. You can get all the same games pretty much (Im done with forza, even if FM4 looks good, though will miss the games from valve) and the PS3 is a bit better as a media box... its a pretty handy Blu-Ray player that seems to be easily updated to be made more capable, and its quieter by a country mile.

Good discussion this, I actually intended to buy a PS3+GT5 bundle this christmas to go along with my 360, but once the game came out, I'm not so convinced anymore. I've played GT5 at friend's place with the DFGT wheel and I really liked the driving model, how twitchy the cars could get and the feedback in the steering. Playing with a controller I couldn't really see much difference to Forza to be honest. At my home, my furniture set-up doesn't allow for a wheel, so I'd have to play with a controller. So for one thing I would save money for not buying a wheel, but I don't think I'm convinced with GT5 as game. I cannot get rid of this thought creeping to my head that any other game would be torn to pieces if it came out in this state and wasn't called the GT5, the holiest of racing titles..

How much time did you spend driving GT5 on a gamepad and have you tried Forza on a gamepad since? I didn't think the difference was that big (but there certainly was difference) when I initially got into GT5, but last week I did a quick back to back test (Maserati Gran Turismo in Laguna Seca and Audi R8 V10 in N?rburgring) and I found the difference between is really striking, even with a gamepad. Not just because I'm now used to GT5 instead of Forza, but the cars just feel a lot more alive than in Forza.

As a game GT5 is (very) flawed but the driving model is the saving grace for it.

As a GT fan, I would say Yes, but only if you're a fan or enjoyed the past games, as it's more of the same and nothing really new, but thats not a bad thing.

Otherwise no. But you can't go wrong with a PS3 anyway. Plenty of other reasons to get it.

... though will miss the games from valve) ...

Valve have actually shown their love of PS3 by announcing support of Steamworks on PS3 in their future releases, starting with Portal 2. So I guess you'll be fine there:)

How much time did you spend driving GT5 on a gamepad and have you tried Forza on a gamepad since? I didn't think the difference was that big (but there certainly was difference) when I initially got into GT5, but last week I did a quick back to back test (Maserati Gran Turismo in Laguna Seca and Audi R8 V10 in N?rburgring) and I found the difference between is really striking, even with a gamepad. Not just because I'm now used to GT5 instead of Forza, but the cars just feel a lot more alive than in Forza.

As a game GT5 is (very) flawed but the driving model is the saving grace for it.

I've spent about 1.5 hours playing GT5 with a controller but and I played Forza two days later, so it wasn't really a back-to-back test, as I've also driven different cars on different tracks each time. So I still keep thinking about getting the PS3+GT5, but also my gaming time is becoming more limited and there's other games in store for me, I've yet to finish all Dragon Age DLCs (I bought the ultimate edition early November), the new Assassin's Creed.. by the time I'll finish all that, I'll be able to borrow the GT5 and PS3 from a friend :D.

Valve have actually shown their love of PS3 by announcing support of Steamworks on PS3 in their future releases, starting with Portal 2. So I guess you'll be fine there:)
It was kind of weird after the way they treated the Orange Box (explicitly not wanting anything to do with Sony and outsourcing the port) but the Valve demos at E3 were shown on PS3s.... complete 180.