Is this game good enough to justify me buying a PS3?

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
I don't own one, and I really only like to play driving games... even those are a rare occasin, so is this one good enough to justify me buying a PS-3 or not?

Are you a car guy? Do you like racing games? Give it a try at a friend's place.

It was good enough to get me to buy a PS, a PS2, and a PS3 over the years. It's pretty much the only game I play and the repeat play fun lasts a long time.

You've got 1800+ posts on this board, so I'd say "yes."

Last edited:
Are you a car guy? Do you like racing games? Give it a try at a friend's place.

It was good enough to get me to buy a PS, a PS2, and a PS3 over the years. It's pretty much the only game I play and the repeat play fun lasts a long time.

You've got 1800+ posts on this board, so I'd say "yes."
:thumbup:

you make a massively good point! Yes, buy the damn thing!

I don't own one, and I really only like to play driving games... even those are a rare occasin, so is this one good enough to justify me buying a PS-3 or not?

I'd say no.

But if you are going to use other functionality of the PS3 (like Bluray, or to stream your video collection from your PC), then yes.

I too would say no

Seeing as I actually purchased a PS3 + GT5 bundle, specifically for GT5, I can say it was absolutely not worth it. Thank god the PS3 has other useful traits... I've watched Iplayer and Blu-Rays more times than I've popped GT5 in the disc drive to play it. I should really try get stuck in to it, but I think I just don't have the patience for that kind of slow-drive-grinding anymore (I managed it for GT1 thru 4). I wanna be in, driving quick, fun, close races in powerful cars. I dont want to be ambling round some long track in a pitifully slow Miata pulling some 10 seconds a lap on the AI for 5 laps. Thats boring.

Explains why most of my game time has been arcade mode, and why a lot of my time has been spent playing Fallout New Vegas (that has grinding, but somehow its made bareable by exploration)

I'd say no also.

I bought a used PS3, and borrowed my friends copy of GT5. Perhaps it gets better, but like otis said you have to devote so much time to driving crap boxes, and racing is still very much bumper cars. And when I buy a standard car of something I like I'm always disappointed by the graphics and sound. Plus you really have to have a wheel for this game as well, it just doesn't play like an Xbox controller.

I would say yes. How about we make a poll so you can clearly see the answer...;)

I didn't buy a PS3 just for GT5, but mainly for it. I bought it in the middle of October and was playing other great games (Uncharted, Batman: Arkham Asylum, etc...) while waiting for GT5 and I am NOT disappointed in any way! :D

True, you do have to have patience to have the best experience, but the rewards are worth it. If you don't have patience and don't want to drive "crapboxes", play the new NFS (I'm looking at you, Twerp128 and otispunkmeyer.).

Last edited:
Not NFS, but I do enjoy driving my Porsche's and Ferrari's around in Forza. Sadly they have no Daihatsus :(

I recommend trying it out before going for it. If you are not the kind of person who will suffer through slow menus, loading times and a two week grind until you get to drive the really good stuff I'll say forget it right away. GT5 lives and dies on it's driving model, and if you are the kind of person who will appreciate that enough to see past it's faults GT5 is absolutely worth it's price.

Personally I would go for it (I pretty much did, although GTA4 was the part of the reason) but that's just me...

Not NFS, but I do enjoy driving my Porsche's and Ferrari's around in Forza. Sadly they have no Daihatsus :(

Do you know what? Plainly GT is not for you, so kindly GTFO and go back to the Forza forum and enjoy paying $30 for 5 extra cars. You will probably have to sell your PS3 and GT5 to afford the next DLC. ;)

And on the topic of Daihatsu, racing a fully-tuned 660cc Midget against full size pickup trucks with massive engines was pretty damn fun for me...;)

Simmer down now. I enjoy GT5 enough, but I don't think it's worth the price of a PS3 and a wheel.

I did, and I'd say -> no
But since there is also Uncharted 2, buy one for those 2 games...

I'd say no too.
I am (or was) a huge GT fan. But 5 is, to be honest, a big letdown. At least thats the way I feel about it.
Best thing though -try it out. If you have the chance. Maybe you like it.

I can't think of a single game on any system that warrants the cost. But GT5 is one of my favorites on PS3.

Very interesting. Up until GT5 was actually released I was always going to buy a PS3 with the game, but to be honest what I've seen isn't what I was hoping for so I just can't justify the cost. Maybe if I didn't have my Xbox for videos it would be different. I enjoy working through the cars, but the whole premium cars thing has put me right off.

Good question that ... I just asked myself whether I would buy a PS3 for GT5 right now, given I wouldn't have one already. Well, let me say it like this: GT5 is the best and the worst Gran Turismo title yet. The best because it has the best graphics, the most cars and the most realistic handling yet. On the other hand, it is the one with the largest amount of mistakes, faults and bad decisions by PD yet. The driving itself is good fun and very realistic for a console game, but the career structure and several details of the game have some serious issues. Nothing that puts me off the game completely, but there are a lot of frustrating foibles.

Given you are into simulation-like driving games and you are ready to spend some serious time on a game to work your long way up from a Civic to a prototype racing monster, you should seriously consider buying a PS3 and GT5. If you are after casual drive now and then however, this game does not really warrant getting a PS3 for it, given you don't have any other use for the console.

Interesting answers! I actually have an older Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel, and my wife is looking at PS-3's for Christmas. Right now, all I play is Split/Second and NFS Undercover on my PC. They are both great fun, but not realistic by any stretch of the imagination.

I bought a PS3 with the ultimate intention of getting GT5. I'm not really a gamer and all of my games are driving games (GT5 prologue, NFS: Shift, Split/Second, F1 2010, GT5). If you're really into driving sims then I'd say get it. I'm loving GT5 so far.

Interesting answers! I actually have an older Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel, and my wife is looking at PS-3's for Christmas. Right now, all I play is Split/Second and NFS Undercover on my PC. They are both great fun, but not realistic by any stretch of the imagination.

Sell the DFP and get a DFGT to go with GT5. The DFP is pretty good (I used it to play that GT Academy demo with the 370Z), but the DFGT is on a whole other level because it was designed specifically for GT5 (the DFP was designed for GT4).

I basically traded my DFP for a DFGT. I sold my DFP to someone for $80, then bought a brand new DFGT from someone else for $80. :D

Last edited:
Good discussion this, I actually intended to buy a PS3+GT5 bundle this christmas to go along with my 360, but once the game came out, I'm not so convinced anymore. I've played GT5 at friend's place with the DFGT wheel and I really liked the driving model, how twitchy the cars could get and the feedback in the steering. Playing with a controller I couldn't really see much difference to Forza to be honest. At my home, my furniture set-up doesn't allow for a wheel, so I'd have to play with a controller. So for one thing I would save money for not buying a wheel, but I don't think I'm convinced with GT5 as game. I cannot get rid of this thought creeping to my head that any other game would be torn to pieces if it came out in this state and wasn't called the GT5, the holiest of racing titles..