Is this it? 2015 6th gen Mustang

Now that's more like it. Let's hope C&D is right.

I'm most anxious to see the interior. I'm honestly getting pretty excited. This car will most likely start around ~35kUSD and will reportedly have 450hp in base V8 trim, and it looks like that. It's like an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, except faster, for four times less money. Pretty remarkable really.

I'm most anxious to see the interior. I'm honestly getting pretty excited. This car will most likely start around ~35kUSD and will reportedly have 450hp in base V8 trim, and it looks like that. It's like an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, except faster, for four times less money. Pretty remarkable really.
When you sit and ride in even a modern Mustang, you'll find it less remarkable.

Still great value nonetheless. but I think "ride & handling", "refinement", and "interior quality" are the new "performance", at least when it comes to budgeting. Horsepower is cheap now, really.

Last edited:
... This shall make my plan of buying a 2012/2013 5.0 when I get married next year much easier (give my car to the lady as a wedding gift since she doesn't have one) as they will probably depreciate faster.

The fact that they have a full 3D view that doesn't have any traces of amateur modeling leads me to believe this is the real deal.

2015 Mustang

I'm not sure what to think about the part of the article regarding engines:

CARRY-OVER POWERTRAINS
At launch, the Mustang will be available with the same engine options offered by the current Mustang: a naturally aspirated 3.7-liter V-6 and the ?Coyote? 5.0-liter V-8, each with the same power ratings as the Mustangs on showroom floors today (305 and 420 horsepower, respectively). Transmissions, too, will carry over at the outset, with shoppers given a choice of a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic. That will change in the two to three years after launch, when the 10-speed auto being jointly developed with GM will replace the six-speed slushbox.

However, the Mustang?s 2015 model year will be a long one?as was 1965?and thus, Ford will offer powertrain upgrades in the months after its launch. Updates to the V-6 will be minimal, but we understand that the GT-badged ?five-oh? will jump to 500 horsepower.

TURBO-FOUR CAFE SPECIAL
Sometime after the new Mustang reaches dealer lots, we will begin to see interesting underhood options. With European and federal fuel-economy standards in mind, Ford will introduce the first turbo?charged four-cylinder Mustang since the 1986 SVO model. And the engine will be the same size, 2.3 liters, as that car?s four-banger. It?ll generate 310 horsepower with direct injection, and it will be marketed as an uplevel alternative to the base six. Its premium should be justified not only by its expected mileage gain but also by its high, flat torque curve.

Ford is also considering offering the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 found in the Taurus SHO. Tuned to churn out 400 horsepower (up from the 365 it makes in the SHO), this engine could potentially replace the 3.7-liter V-6 and serve as a natural steppingstone between the turbo four and the Coyote. The EcoBoost V-6 is unlikely to appear in the Mustang?s engine bay before the 2017 model year.

A STABLE FULL OF WILD HORSES
Ford has many plans for ultra-high-performance Mustangs. The first will be a successor to the Shelby-branded GT500, and the company will continue to offer Ford?s ?Trinity? supercharged 5.8-liter V-8 making 662 horses. Past the new-gen Shelby GT500, Ford has additional powertrain options for two more hi-po nameplates.

The first is a twin-turbocharged V-8, code-named ?Voodoo,? which displaces between 5.0 and 5.5 liters and, most intriguingly, has a ?flat-plane? or 180-degree crankshaft, as Ferrari has used in its V-8s since 1973. This configuration, also found in the late Lotus Esprit V-8, is akin to connecting two four-cylinder banks to a common crankshaft. Flat cranks theoretically improve power, throttle response, and the soundtrack at the expense of greater vibration. This EcoBoost V-8 will produce between 550 and 600 horses. It will power a Shelby GT350?branded model that eventually will take over from the GT500, as Ford is desperate to discontinue that car?s costly and thirsty Trinity.

The last high-performance Mustang will be a successor to the Boss 302. What will power it is still not finalized. If all goes according to plan, Ford would like to use a naturally aspirated version of the Voodoo engine. However, initial testing has not yielded the desired results in Dearborn, and it?s possible that a hotted-up version of the 5.0 Coyote could be used?as was the case in the previous Boss.

I read that information and I keep asking myself why over and over.

Why a 10 speed transmission? Why have a turbo 4 cylinder 'premium' option over the V6 if it only has 5 more hp? Why a flat plane V8 in a Mustang? Why have 500hp in the base GT? How much power is too much to a car readily accessible to first time or beginner drivers? Why have an Ecoboost V6 that makes less hp than the standard V8?

I'm all for choices, but I'm not sure all of these make sense. It is, however, difficult to judge because it's very likely C&D is embellishing here and there.

I feel like it's a matter of time before some consumer respected entity (IIHS maybe?) will pressure automakers into some sort of gentleman's agreement in regards to limiting the ever increasing amount of HP available in 'normal' cars. I honestly cannot imagine wanting more than 500hp in any streetcar. It's truly absurd even at that point. 500hp is easily enough to push a car with decent aero over 200mph. Insta-death speeds no matter how 'safe' the car is.

Last edited:
Why have a turbo 4 cylinder 'premium' option over the V6 if it only has 5 more hp?
That's the "one Ford" program at work: The turbo I4 will be the base engine in Europe due to displacement-based taxation and it's lower emissions. It does not make much sense in the US, but if it's available, why not offer it?

... This shall make my plan of buying a 2012/2013 5.0 when I get married next year much easier (give my car to the lady as a wedding gift since she doesn't have one) as they will probably depreciate faster.

I think that's a bit of a fallacy. As long as the cars remain in demand (and they will), they won't depreciate faster than normal

I think that's a bit of a fallacy. As long as the cars remain in demand (and they will), they won't depreciate faster than normal

The biggest price difference I can see in the short future is MY2014 end of year sales. With the new one on the floor, dealers will just want to dump the old style. But even then I don't imagine the discount will be that big.

So, they've finally gotten Aston back for this:

1988_Aston_Martin_V8_Vantage_fr.jpg

All the Mustang needs is the fender vents and I'd say it's a modern take on the design as a whole.

This is pretty cool. Finally getting independent rear suspension back, in a great looking body, with some excellent engine choices... best Mustang yet.

Great job by Ford.
Unmistakably a Mustang without being a retro throwback and all while using Fords current global family face.
Now watch Ford Oz jack up the price to 100k because cashed up bogan.

Last edited: