Is this it? 2015 6th gen Mustang

The point is that this is 100% wireless for clueless types like myself. :lol: Because fuck electrical work (despite how easy it likely is). Also, I suspect the in vehicle module maybe has a speaker or something in it too?

OBD2 doesn't have audio in. It does have power out, which would be one reason to connect to it. On the other hand, there's one little problem - it's going to be illegal in an ever increasing number of states. In CA and the aforementioned increasing number of states, you may not use your cell phone while your engine is on unless you can do so hands-free. This unit does not qualify.

Last edited:
Don't conflate the drivers with the car. You can dislike it all you want, but the 6th gen Camaro (all versions thus far except the turbo four) has had considerable praise heaped upon it across the spectrum of automotive journalists.

You're right. I won't judge the car for the people. :D I will however judge the car for the car and it is still crap. Uncomfortable for anyone taller than 5'10" 220lbs+, visibility is horrendous, parking it is rubbish, interior feels uber cheap (the rental I drove recently had way too many rattles and cheap plastics), and the handing is subpar in any lower trim model compared to most in this class. The exterior looks are also bad but I won't fault the car for it since that is the most subjective point.

These reviewers won't live with this everyday so I don't really take their word over people who have more time with it. All it has going for it are the V8 engines and RWD. I digress though since I'm going way off topic. :D

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting something like this after saving up a while: https://pearlauto.com/rearvision

It's a rearview camera and parking sensor system built right into the license plate. Wireless too. Connects to your smartphone and uses it as the display

But it requires a OBD-II port (i guess so it knows when you shift into R to coordinate launching the camera app maybe?) that my car doesn't have.

You can replicate the same much much much cheaper and no batteries that you need to charge. All you need is a back up camera, wi-fi video transmitter and some app on your phone that can receive that signal, wire camera into reverse lights, transmitter into constant power and you have a backup cam.

Or you can spend a little more money and get a basic Double DIN DVD receiver and a cheapish back up camera, the wiring work should only really include wiring the camera to the reverse lights (usually done via a super simple tap) the rest should be plug and play.

I want to do a new head unit that also has CarPlay/Android Auto integration so I can use my phone for things, problem is for Mustang it's around a grand with all the other supporting stuff (Sync integration, steering wheel controls) for Xterra its also around $500 or so.

OBD2 doesn't have audio in. It does have power out, which would be one reason to connect to it.

I'm aware. I was insinuating that the speaker built into the module would need some sort of power that the OBD-II port would provide.

Interesting note about the cell phone laws though

EDIT: Would this be hands free if you shift into R and the app launches, then closes when you shift out of R? I don't think that's possible on iOS is it?

Last edited:
2) You are also the most blatantly anti-GM person on this board, as evidenced by many of your previous posts.

I'm anti GM because I'm surrounded by republicans. For some reason, gun loving republicans love GM. I could also be called anti FCA but that's because they make old cars with fairly modern interiors.

That first Tesla guy is infuriating.

Oh, yeah...jesus...

This reporter always reminds me of Perd Hapley.

[video=youtube;T43-A1o-CeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T43-A1o-CeM[/video]

Last edited:
I could also be called anti FCA but that's because they make old cars with fairly modern interiors.

Dude. I just have to retort. :) But I'll send it in a PM as to not start a flame war and derail the thread more than I think I already have. :D

I would never buy a GM myself, I own 3 Ford products so I'm biased.

I'm anti GM because I'm surrounded by republicans. For some reason, gun loving republicans love GM. I could also be called anti FCA but that's because they make old cars with fairly modern interiors.
That's odd from my part of the woods. I thought that Republicans are suppose to embrace capitalism and not embrace crony capitalism. From my point of view, GM deserved to fall. The market, we the people, made that decision.

That's odd from my part of the woods. I thought that Republicans are suppose to embrace capitalism and not embrace crony capitalism. From my point of view, GM deserved to fall. The market, we the people, made that decision.

I'm actually a fan of what GM is doing lately, but even I agree. Sink or swim.

Every republican I know drives something Japanese...

I am guessing if you get an SS the Holden badges will be on the car before it hits your driveway? :)

I'm actually a fan of what GM is doing lately, but even I agree. Sink or swim.

Every republican I know drives something Japanese...

That's how most people feel here - I live and work in a republican stronghold and there's people that refuse to ever consider a GM or FCA product for life. They actively chose Ford due to not getting a "official" bailout or had ditched domestics long ago for Toyota/Honda products.

That's how most people feel here - I live and work in a republican stronghold and there's people that refuse to ever consider a GM or FCA product for life. They actively chose Ford due to not getting a "official" bailout or had ditched domestics long ago for Toyota/Honda products.

I don't hold a grudge against GM or FCA though. They'd be fools not to accept the bailouts. It's the government I hold a grudge against.

Ford also got a bit lucky in all that. They unloaded Land Rover, Volvo, and Aston Martin (iirc) just before the economy went down the drain, so they had the extra cash to weather the storm. They also talked up the fact that they didn't accept any bailout money, using it to up their image, and it worked. Ford was very lucky in all that, imo. They could have very easily ended up in the same position as GM and FCA.

I don't hold a grudge against GM or FCA though. They'd be fools not to accept the bailouts. It's the government I hold a grudge against.

Ford also got a bit lucky in all that. They unloaded Land Rover, Volvo, and Aston Martin (iirc) just before the economy went down the drain, so they had the extra cash to weather the storm. They also talked up the fact that they didn't accept any bailout money, using it to up their image, and it worked. Ford was very lucky in all that, imo. They could have very easily ended up in the same position as GM and FCA.

That's not really luck, that's sound financial decisions and governance. They raised capital by ditching side brands and concentrated on making core offerings better than other domestics. They also diversified and didn't bet the farm on trucks/SUVs unlike the others so when economy tanked and gas prices surged they were able to offer small cheap cars that were actually something people wanted to buy.

That's not really luck, that's sound financial decisions and governance. They raised capital by ditching side brands and concentrated on making core offerings better than other domestics. They also diversified and didn't bet the farm on trucks/SUVs unlike the others so when economy tanked and gas prices surged they were able to offer small cheap cars that were actually something people wanted to buy.

Sure, but ditching those side brands wasn't done because of a looming financial crisis that Ford's minority report clairvoyants warned them about. They ditched those side brands for other reasons at just the perfect time to save them from that crisis. Had they done it sooner and spent that money or waited, it would have been too late. I still see it as a very lucky situation for Ford.

Not to take anything away from Ford of course. They handled it perfectly. But I'm about to bow before their business brilliance. There was a lot of luck involved.

Sure, but ditching those side brands wasn't done because of a looming financial crisis that Ford's minority report clairvoyants warned them about. They ditched those side brands for other reasons at just the perfect time to save them from that crisis. Had they done it sooner and spent that money or waited, it would have been too late. I still see it as a very lucky situation for Ford.

Not to take anything away from Ford of course. They handled it perfectly. But I'm about to bow before their business brilliance. There was a lot of luck involved.

Less than you might think. All those brands had been boat anchors on the bottom line for a number of years; none of them were really profitable at the time with the exception of AM (sort of) and LR (due to the SUV craze). Volvo had never performed up to expectations though some of the tech transfer had worked out fine and Jaguar had tanked due to the S and X types. Shareholders were telling the board to dump what was then called the Premiere Automotive Group of brands and focus on solving the major problems facing the core FoMoCo brands. Towards the end, Jaguar fans were wondering if Ford was going to sell off the brand or just cut their losses and close it down as it never turned a profit under the last ten years of Ford ownership with the final few years before the announcement it was going up for sale being particularly awash in seas of red ink.

There actually *was* a looming financial crisis they were aware of that drove the sale of the PAG brands (plus the interest in Mazda) - but the one they were seeing was related to the solvency of the entire company due to various internal and external problems. As far as anyone I've read or talked to knows, they *didn't* see the 'Great Recession' coming but did see that even if things had continued as they were, Ford was in real trouble. PAG had always been more of a vanity project anyway, so dumping it was seen as a relatively easy choice to make as opposed to fighting more entrenched interests.

Where the luck came in was that the steps they were taking to deal with the company's internal crises (which Great Recession or no would likely have killed Ford if left unchecked) turned out to be the correct ones to also deal with the Great Recession that happened a little while later. It's a minor but important difference.

The bottom line is that if Ford *hadn't* made those moves, even without the Great Recession they would be dead or severely hurting just like Chrysler or GM were; Jacques Nasser really, really fucked up Ford. In a very real way, the fact that the Great Recession chose just then to happen was completely immaterial as Chrysler and GM were in the same financial straits even before - they just hadn't figured out quite how severe it was and/or their plans to fix it were 'more of the same crap' especially for GM.

Read more about the plan here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_Forward - plus this from Alan Mulally's WP entry:

In 2006, Mulally led the effort for Ford to borrow US$23.6 billion by mortgaging all of Ford's assets. Mulally said that he intended to use the money to finance a major overhaul and provide ?a cushion to protect for a recession or other unexpected event".[24] At the time, the loan was interpreted as a sign of desperation, but is now widely credited with stabilizing Ford's financial position, compared to crosstown rivals General Motors and Chrysler, both of whom had gone bankrupt during the automotive industry crisis of 2008?2009. Ford was the only one of the Detroit Three that did not ask for a government loan.

They were *desperate* back in 06.

Last edited: