Is Top Gear broadcast in high definition in the UK?

So that means we need to upgrade to gigabit on the main distribution server.. oh bugger.

A dual layer burner will do, but the discs are expensive. Cheapest to just get HDs. Hell, you can buy a 750GB for like $100.

Nothing special really, if you look up smth like EZTV, they do 720p rips (44) mins - 1.1gb, TG (60min) will be around 1.5gb, which is fine. No need for 4gb stuff.

Nothing special really, if you look up smth like EZTV, they do 720p rips (44) mins - 1.1gb, TG (60min) will be around 1.5gb, which is fine. No need for 4gb stuff.

Isn't that what I said? :p :?

700MB for SD, 1.0-1.5GB for the 720p (probably about 1.4), and no clue about the 1080p (the Polar Special was 7GB, but that seems much too large).

A dual layer burner will do, but the discs are expensive. Cheapest to just get HDs. Hell, you can buy a 750GB for like $100.

Perhaps. My old 250gb external is closing in on zero space left. Now if I could get a 750gb external for $100 I would be all over it. :)

how popular is HDTV in europe?
In the UK its the next big thing and the broadcasters (well BBC - see upyourego's posts) are tooling up for a 100% service in HD in the next few years. We are going fully Digital in 2010 - 2011 with a complete analogue switch off then. I have limited HD 1080i from my cable system, and I can't wait for 100% cover.

Scary to think we're actually ahead of a country in technology.

Well the smaller one will still be offered by the sounds of it. You'd just miss out on all that nutricious HD goodness, thats all.

you're missing the point, TG is one of those few shows where it'll be a MUST to download in HD, esp for folks like us who pipe their PC video output to their living room HDTVs like i do. thank god my tv is only 720p, i shudder to think about downloading 1080p rips.

you're missing the point, TG is one of those few shows where it'll be a MUST to download in HD, esp for folks like us who pipe their PC video output to their living room HDTVs like i do. thank god my tv is only 720p, i shudder to think about downloading 1080p rips.

Speak for yourself, I much prefer to get the first available rip in the hopes of watching it as soon as possible after the UK broadcast.

Then again, I'm an impatient bugger.

Speak for yourself, I much prefer to get the first available rip in the hopes of watching it as soon as possible after the UK broadcast.

Same here. I can't wait to watch it and with only 1.5mbit... :(

I'll be downloading the HD rips for archival though. ^_^

Thats the whole point of the "Stop" button in uTorrent, you stop the HD torrent until the smaller one is done ;).

I would like the 1080p HD. :) I think that would be 5gb or more for every episode. I need to get a bigger hard drive in near future.

i am just going to be watching it on my pc but can not wait until the 720 rips come out it will be super beautiful.

The standard rip and the 720p polar special was dramatic enough think about the

HD POWER SLIDES!!! POWER!!!!!

Are we sure they will actually broadcast it in HD and not just film it with HD equipment?

Are we sure they will actually broadcast it in HD and not just film it with HD equipment?

Why would they go to the expense of filming it in HD and then broadcast it in SD?

Cause a lot of TV studios are replacing their old equipment with HD stuff just to be ready for the "switch", and I guess be able to do reruns/show old footage in HD (?)

the whole "filter" look can be done in post - no serious person is going to NOT shoot in HD because of their filters. Period.

http://www.tiffen.com/dfx_vignette_ig.html

Productions costs are dropping thru the floor now that people realize that there's very little stopping production these days.. i produce TV quality HD using $6000 cameras (well, $12k with all the bits attached) and do the editing on the aeroplane on my Mac Book Pro.

Its simply braindeadness to shoot in SD...
let alone edit in SD....
even if you have to deliver in SD.