Is Top Gear just cashing in on license fees?

lukenwolf

Car(s)
Alfa 145 2.0 Twin Spark 16V, dedicated ring toy
There's a thread in the TGR forum comparing TGA to TGR, with quite a balanced preference. But the general sentiment is, that both are a bit daft. That led me to think about why TG UK lets this happen?
They sold the license to both the Aussies and the Russians, but don't seem to care much about it afterwards. What I think both of them lack is a tad more support from the Mothership. TGR was never really mentioned before it got off the ground and also TGA is only sparsely mentioned.
Why didn't they for instance help the russians with selecting/designing a test track, one of the major weak points of the show.

So at the end of all this I'm left with the question of wether TG Uk just pockets the license money - kthxbye - or do they help the off-springs in some way, as it should be in their interest to make them both be as good as possible. And for us, too - because honestly TGR is the best cure for deprevation symptoms while waiting for S13 :lol:

I don't know about the Russians but TopGear Australia is made by Freehand Productions, who are majority owned by BBC Worldwide. Also, TopGear guru Andy Wilman visited Australia to help them set up the show last year.

I think Andy Wilman and Jeremy were involved in the casting for TGUS and TGA, if I recall correctly.

Wilman was (at the very least) at the filming for the TGUS pilot. Don't know about his involvement with the Aus version.