Israel attacks humanitarian aid convoy in international waters

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Bulgogi Knedliky 1.6 GDI (Hyundai i30)
Israel have outdone themselves this time. At least ten people lost their lifes, but this is likely to rise, there are reports of the number of dead being more than 20.

More information will follow.

Last edited:
Jerusalem Post reports it being at least 15.

This is sheer stupidity by Israel. They shouldn't have borded, the full responsibility for the action will be put on their shoulders. If they hadn't been so fucking stuck up, they'd avoided this whole situation, it's not like they were transporting rockets anyway.

Reactions

Reactions

Statement from the Turkish foreign ministry

The interception on the convoy is unacceptable ... Israel will have to bear the consequences of its actions.

We strongly condemn it and await an immediate explanation.

By targeting innocent civilians, Israel has once again clearly displayed that does not value human lives and peaceful initiatives.

We forcefully condemn these inhumane activities by Israel.

The incident that occurred in open sea which is a gross breach of international law, could cause irrevocable consequences for our relations.

We wish to express our condolences to the bereaved families of the deceased, and swift recovery to the wounded.
Ismail Haniya, Hamas leader in Gaza

The government of Hamas call on Palestinians to carry out a total strike in Gaza and West Bank to show solidarity and protest the Israeli crimes.

We request emergency session for the UN Security Council, Arab League and Islamic Conference and we demand the Palestinian Authority to stop all forms of negotiations.

The government decided to grant those on board Freedom ships the medal of honour.

We appeal to the UN to withdraw from the Quartet.

The government has decided to name the May 31 "the freedom day". We demand the Arab League to carry out all decisions to stop the siege of Gaza.

We say to those heroes that the essence of your honourable blood has reached us before the aids you are carrying to us.

We salute everyone on board the Freedom ships.
Salam Fayad, Palestinian prime minister

Israel went beyond all that could be expected.

This [attack] is a transgression against all international covenants and norms and it must be confronted by all international forums.
Statement from the Palestinian presidency

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas condemns the crime perpetrated by the occupation authorities against international solidarity activists aboard the Freedom Flotilla.

The Palestinian leadership is closely following the developments and the President calls on the United Nations to confront Israel, which is disregarding all international laws and norms.

The attack on the Flotilla is an attack against humanity.

This incident will have grave consequences in the region and the world.
Statement from the Arab League

Secretary General Amr Moussa has called for an emergency meeting at the League's headquarters in Cairo on June 1.

The attack clearly shows Israel's aggressive nature and its disrespect to international and humanitarian rules and laws.

We call on the international community to take immediate steps against Israel, a rogue state that practices all forms of terrorism and piracy, and instigates tension and instability in the region and in the middle of the Mediterranean sea.
Saad Hariri, Lebanese prime minister

The Israeli attack on the aid convoy is a dangerous and crazy step that will exacerbate tensions in the region.

Lebanon firmly denounces this attack and calls on the international community, notably major powers ... to take action in order to end this continued violation of human rights and threat to international peace.
Spokesperson for EU's foreign policy chief

High Representative Catherine Ashton expresses her deep regret at the news of loss of life and violence and extends her sympathies to families of the dead and wounded.

On behalf of the European Union she demands a full enquiry about the circumstances in which this happened.

The continued policy of closure is unacceptable and politically counter-productive. She calls for an immediate, sustained and unconditional opening of the crossing for the flow of humanitarian aid, commercial goods and persons to and from Gaza.
Guido Westerwelle, German foreign minister

I am deeply concerned about the events last night in the waters off Gaza ... These are disconcerting initial reports.

The foreign ministry is now working to establish the full facts of what happened.
Diego Lopez Garrido, Spain's secretary of state for EU affairs

The Israeli storming of a flotilla of activist ships heading for Gaza is unacceptable and very serious event.

We have have summoned the Israeli ambassador [to Spain] to give us explanations and, of course, we will investigate and will start handling this matter immediately.
Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, Emir of Qatar

The Israeli act of piracy against Arab and foreign activists who tried to break an non humanitarian unjust siege imposed on our fellow citizens in Gaza Strip, for no reason but they exercised their democratic right of choice.

The crimes purportrated this morning against the civilians supporting the Palestinians remind us of the unjust siege the open bleeding wound in the Strip; and all those who preach freedom, justice and democracy are required now to move and act to break this siege so the bloods of those free men do not go down the drains.

This is also message addressed to the Arab states who were brought to the moment of justice by those free men on board.
Micheal Martin, Irish foreign affairs minister

I am gravely concerned at the reports emerging of the storming of a Turkish ship this morning by Israeli commandos.

My department is seeking to establish the full facts of what has occurred and confirm the safety of the eight Irish nationals who sailed with the
Turkish-led flotilla.

The reports of up to 15 people killed and 50 injured, if confirmed, would constitute a totally unacceptable response by the Israeli military to what was a humanitarian mission attempting to deliver much needed supplies to the people of Gaza.

Last edited:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10195838.stm

BBC report. The fact that Israel is claiming that they were shot at by a humanitarian convoy upon boarding is just wrong. They are reaching (and pretty much so surpassing) NK in their level of craziness. I know we have a few people from Israel on here, but I am sorry, you have to pretty much so admit that your forces have really fucked up this time. And I'm being restrained here....

Protesters march in Istanbul, denounce Israel

(AP) ? 34 minutes ago

ANKARA, Turkey ? Around 10,000 Turks are marching from Israel's Consulate in Istanbul toward the city's main square, shouting slogans denouncing Israel after 10 pro-Palestinian activists were reported killed and dozens wounded by Israeli forces.

The protesters earlier Monday tried storm the Consulate building but were blocked by police. They later set Israeli flags on fire. Turkish television stations are broadcasting the protest live.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

JERUSALEM (AP) ? Israeli commandos on Monday stormed six ships carrying hundreds of pro-Palestinian activists on an aid mission to the blockaded Gaza Strip, killing at least 10 people and wounding dozens after encountering unexpected resistance as the forces boarded the vessels.

The operation in international waters off the Gaza coast was a nightmare scenario for Israel that looked certain to further damage its international standing, strain already tense relations with Turkey and draw unwanted attention to Gaza's plight.

The two sides offered conflicting accounts of what happened.

A reporter on one of the boats said the Israelis fired at the vessel before boarding it, and the Israelis said they only opened fire after being attacked by activists with sticks, knives and live fire.

Israeli security forces were on alert across the country.

The activists were headed to Gaza on a mission meant to draw attention to a 3-year-old Israeli blockade of the coastal territory. Israel imposed the blockade after Hamas militants took power there.

"It's disgusting that they have come on board and attacked civilians. We are civilians," said Greta Berlin, a spokeswoman for the Free Gaza movement, which organized the flotilla.

Speaking from the east Mediterranean island of Cyprus, she said she had lost contact with the flotilla at about 3:30 a.m. (0030 GMT).

Israel had declared it would not allow the ships to reach Gaza and had offered to transfer the aid to Gaza from an Israeli port. Israeli naval commandos raided the ships while they were in international waters after ordering them to stop about 80 miles (130 kilometers) from Gaza's coast, according to a pro-Palestinian activist in Greece involved in the aid mission.

A Turkish website showed video of pandemonium on board one of the ships, with activists in orange life jackets running around as some tried to help an activist apparently unconscious on the deck. The site also showed video of an Israeli helicopter flying overhead and Israeli warships nearby.

Turkey's NTV showed activists beating one Israeli soldier with sticks as he rappelled from a helicopter onto one of the boats.

The al-Jazeera satellite channel reported by telephone from the Turkish ship leading the flotilla that Israeli navy forces fired at the ship and boarded it, wounding the captain.

"These savages are killing people here, please help," a Turkish television reporter said.

The broadcast ended with a voice shouting in Hebrew, "Everybody shut up!"

The incident comes a day before Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to meet US President Barack Obama in Washington after one of the most strained periods in US-Israeli relations in years.

Gonna be interesting.

Can anyone confirm that the convoy was boarded in international waters? In that case, isn't the boarding illegal?

Another statement, translated quickly and freely by me, Norwegian foreign minister Jonas Gahr St?re:

- We're shocked over the news that Israeli naval forces have borded the convoy, and the reported number of killed civilian activists.
According to St?re, the Israeli ambassador to Norway has been asked to explain the situation at the Foreign Department this morning.
- Israel has put a lid on news from the area, which is highly worrying, [partly] because of this, the situation is unclear. Because of this, I believe the International community must initiate an investigation of what hapened. I have a meeting with the UN Secretary General during the next few days here in Kampala, and I will request that the UN takes such an initiative.

Viper: I'd love to be a fly on the wall dring that meeting..

Can anyone confirm that the convoy was boarded in international waters? In that case, isn't the boarding illegal?

Armed forces boarded the largest vessel overnight, clashing with some of the 500 people on board.

It happened about 40 miles (64 km) out to sea, in international waters.
From the BBC report I linked to in my last post.

And yeah, can't wait to hear the outcome of that meeting (let alone any meeting involving an Israeli diplomat/minister in the next few weeks)

I don't think we'll see too much actual concequences, but as I've just said at a NO forum, even if this doesn't lead to the emmediate implementation of a n international embargo against Israel (which it won't, and it would be silly if it did), in the long run, it won't help. Sharperville didn't break the back of South Africa in 1960, but it made things worse, and 30 years later, it was over.

And I'm not comparing the two incidents, One was the undoubted murder of 60 unarmed blacks protesting peacefully, this is a situation we don't know enough about to say yet. But this will hurt Israel, and they will notice it.

I don't think we'll see too much actual concequences, but as I've just said at a NO forum, even if this doesn't lead to the emmediate implementation of a n international embargo against Israel (which it won't, and it would be silly if it did), in the long run, it won't help. Sharperville didn't break the back of South Africa in 1960, but it made things worse, and 30 years later, it was over.

And I'm not comparing the two incidents, One was the undoubted murder of 60 unarmed blacks protesting peacefully, this is a situation we don't know enough about to say yet. But this will hurt Israel, and they will notice it.

Agreed on not knowing enough yet. Reading into it, these humanitarian aid workers seem to be from a movement fundamentally aligned against Israel. I wouldn't be surprised if they did protest in some way, but I would seriously doubt they used any sort of deadly force in protesting, making shooting people still a major overreaction.

Also agreed on the "international community won't protest this too much issue"- it's like the NK/SK issue- Israel has a lot better artillery than the country near it (Palestine) and probably isn't afraid to use it if sanctions/threats of such eventuate. Although the attack was based at a "impartial" (from an international legal and political standpoint) party, people will find a way to link them.

Gonna be interesting.

Nope, Netanyahu is already in Washington but he bails on Obama and flies home today according to israeli radio. That'll no doubt further "improve" the Israeli relations to it's biggest benefactor. I hope Obama reacts with the same fervor as the rest of the world already has.

Last edited:
I've yet to see humanitarian workers working in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon who don't think Israeli policy is fucking shit. And I've met a few of those aid workers, I work with the hosbund of a midwife who's spent lots of time in Gaza (and more often than not, waiting in ambulances in checkpoints when the brats running the checkpoints in the way of the hospital has a bad day and behaves like a-holes).

Same goes for christian aid workers, just saying.

I don't think it's impossible that the convoy faught back. They were in international waters, the boarding was a breech of international law. It's no uncommon or unheard of for a ship to carry weapons for self defense, the precense of such weapons on the ship does not make it an arms shipment, if there were crates of weapons, that would make it an arms shipment. A few AKs is good for defending a ship, but it's completely unimportant in an armed conflict like the one in Gaza, to put it that way.

That is, if there were weapons on board.

In the morning the news said it happened on Israeli waters, but now this looks more than interesting. Their mission was obviously to provoke Israel doing something stupid like this which really doesn't too good for them, of course someone would argue why they didn't let them board and search the ships for guns or something as Israelis will probably claim they were trying to smuggle stuff to Gaza. Of course, you could argue that boarding vessels on international waters is a act of piracy. Either way it's too bad anyone but the Arab world will be really doing fuck all about this again, we've seen it so many times that they can do whatever they want and play the Jew card.

Nope, Netanyahu is already in Washington but he bails on Obama and flies home today according to israeli radio.[...]
Well it might really be better to adress this issue when the facts are all really on the table ... a lot of the details are speculation now, bought up by one side. Talking with Obama now about stuff that might have to be revised some days down the line makes little sense.

That said ... it really doesn?t look like something Israel is going to be getting away with.

I've yet to see humanitarian workers working in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon who don't think Israeli policy is fucking shit. And I've met a few of those aid workers, I work with the hosbund of a midwife who's spent lots of time in Gaza (and more often than not, waiting in ambulances in checkpoints when the brats running the checkpoints in the way of the hospital has a bad day and behaves like a-holes).

Same goes for christian aid workers, just saying.

I don't think it's impossible that the convoy faught back. They were in international waters, the boarding was a breech of international law. It's no uncommon or unheard of for a ship to carry weapons for self defense, the precense of such weapons on the ship does not make it an arms shipment, if there were crates of weapons, that would make it an arms shipment. A few AKs is good for defending a ship, but it's completely unimportant in an armed conflict like the one in Gaza, to put it that way.

That is, if there were weapons on board.

I don't think it's impossible that the ship opened fire when the Israeli's got close either, idiots exist on both sides

Yeah, it would explain the Israeli actions, but they shouldn't board a ship in internatoinal waters in any case.

Am I the only one who think Ahmedinejads comments are a lot more reasoned than the comments from the Israeli deputy FM?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10196351.stm

"DANIEL AYALON, ISRAELI DEPUTY FOREIGN MINISTER

The armada of hate and violence in support of [the] Hamas terror organisation was a premeditated and outrageous provocation. The organisers are well known for their ties with global jihad, al-Qaeda and Hamas. They have a history of arms smuggling and deadly terror.

On board the ship, we found weapons prepared in advance and used against our forces. The organisers intent was violent, their method was violent and the results were unfortunately violent. Israel regrets any loss of life and did everything to avoid this outcome. "

"MAHMOUD AHMADINEJAD, IRANIAN PRESIDENT

The inhuman action of the Zionist regime against the Palestinian people and preventing the humanitarian aid from reaching Gazans does not show this regime's strength, but is a sign of its weakness, and all this brings this sinister and fake regime closer than ever to its end. "

Which is strange, as Ahmedinejad is a nutjob asshole. But the comments from the Israeli deputy FM actually make him look like a great statesman. It's fucking strange.

Last edited:
I think it's very unlikely that the ship was carrying weapons. My friends father (an ex-Royal Marine) now works as a 'security contractor' for a shipping company, and is part of a 3-man team which stays onboard the vessel during its' transit through African waters. They're there to act simply as a deterrent. There was an attack on their vessel somewhat recently (link can be found here, sorry about the tabloid report but I'm struggling to find the original), and they were forced to defend themselves against Pirates armed with AK47s and RPGs, using only improvised weaponry and a flare gun. Although it's obviously the laws of a different nation which prohibit the carrying of weapons onboard, I can't see a humanitarian aid convoy carrying weapons.

That is of course, if we're being told the whole story. Let's not forget that international military action is effectively a very costly game of chess for the mega-powerful, and we're rarely informed of all the details.

That said, I wouldn't be so light-hearted about this. Although due to our current NATO commitments in Afghanistan, not to mention our other current theatres world-wide, we're unlikely to act on this just yet, Israel is very much under the spot-light and has been for some time. I dare say in the next decade, we may see a serious conflict against a very powerful and reckless nation.

The deathtoll is now at least nineteen.

Was just about to post your first quote, Nomix. BBC has a live coverage going as well. Sarkozy has just joined the heads of state commenting on the attacks- "a disproportionate use of force" by the Isreali forces is his feelings.

Same goes for the Norwegian PM Jens Stoltenberg.

jensemann.jpg

Copyright: Me

(Dagbladet.no): Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg held a press conference outside the government quarter in Oslo today. Asked if Norway plans to recall her ambassador from Tel Aviv, Stoltenberg was dismissive.

- No, we haven't considered that. It's important to keep the channels open to convey Norwegian views, which is best done through diplomatic channels. We're in contact with the Israeli ambassador in Norway, and has explained that todays action against the convoy is unacceptable.

- The Norwegian Government is shocked over the Israeli attack on a convoy of humanitarian aid, and [foreign minister] Jonas Gahr Sh?re will be contactng the UN secretary general to suggest an international inquest.

Norway is a a strong oponent of the Gaza blockade.

- This situation underlines that the blockade must siece. It's clear human life has been lost, and there has been attacks on ship with humanitarian aid to Gaza.