Issues after using Restore engine additive.

M_Bolc

Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 1.2TFSI
Hello,

I'd like to focus this on the effects over the engine, and not the fact that I used this crap. As a background, there was very slight sludge in my engine visible through the oil fill hole. We removed the valve cover and found that there wasn't any other issue aside from a small amount of residue near the fill hole.

For peace of mind I was recommended to use Restore in order to remove any deposits that could be elsewhere in the engine. Later I found even if Restore does work, this is not an indicated use.

Now, on with the story: after adding a can of this crap to my engine, it started stalling after three blocks. Everytime I came to a stop the engine would not hold idle and I had to start it again. The CEL also came on. There was also a massive loss of power.

Fortunately I was able to find a 24 hour lube place and replaced the oil and filter, so hopefully most of the crap is out of the engine.

Right now the car is at the dealer where their initial hypothesis is that vapors from Restore travelled up the PCV valve and to the mass air flow sensor throwing everything off. Cleaning of both of those should resolve the issues.

Should I worry a bit more? Could there be any more serious mechanical damage?

Last edited:
I have never used Restore, but in theory adding something to your oil could change the oil's characteristics in a way that a lubrication of the engine is no longer secured. This of course leads directly to massive engine failure, so hope that it's just vapor throwing the sensors off-track!

I've used Restore myself, I certainly wouldn't call it crap. It's not designed to do exactly what you want though, a standard engine flush fluid followed by an oil change would be the best way to go.

Of course working out the effects will depend on how it was used, so my first question is did you check the oil level before putting the stuff in? How much did you put in? Overfilling is a very real possibility, I couldn't tell you what effect this would have on your engine though. What car is this? I assume it's not the Fiat because I doubt you'd be pulling the valve cover on a new car but I can't tell what else you have.

Hello,

I'd like to focus this on the effects over the engine, and not the fact that I used this crap. As a background, there was very slight sludge in my engine visible through the oil fill hole. We removed the valve cover and found that there wasn't any other issue aside from a small amount of residue near the fill hole.

For peace of mind I was recommended to use Restore in order to remove any deposits that could be elsewhere in the engine. Later I found even if Restore does work, this is not an indicated use.

Now, on with the story: after adding a can of this crap to my engine, it started stalling after three blocks. Everytime I came to a stop the engine would not hold idle and I had to start it again. The CEL also came on. There was also a massive loss of power.

Fortunately I was able to find a 24 hour lube place and replaced the oil and filter, so hopefully most of the crap is out of the engine.

Right now the car is at the dealer where their initial hypothesis is that vapors from Restore travelled up the PCV valve and to the mass air flow sensor throwing everything off. Cleaning of both of those should resolve the issues.

Should I worry a bit more? Could there be any more serious mechanical damage?

MAF usually meters fresh air, and PCV air is recirculated after MAF. But your setup may be different.

I'd get the ODB II code, but I agree it sounds like a dirty MAF. The EFI is getting the wrong information and wonking about as a result.

Ok, it's been a busy and exhausting week because of having to commute 30km by bus.

To answer some questions, there was a very small amount of sludge visible from the fill hole, that's why we pulled the valve cover on the Fiat. In the end, it's only 6 bolts and a $10 gasket from the dealer. As expected, what the appraiser was seeing (I'm looking to trade the car in) is just a bit of crud left behind every time oil is added. Stupid me for taking him seriously.

I was mis-adviced on using restore, it is not a cleaner. The Spanish label is woefully lacking in details by the way, maybe the USA label content is better.

In the end, the metal particle suspension (Restore) clogged some passages to the phase variator, and the throttle body became dirty from the vapors. Two engine flushes later and the car is fine.

Definitely avoided some big bills this time around, and I'll follow some advice I read somewhere: change your car's fluids on time. Never add anything other than what is supposed to go into the car - i.e. Additives, magical radiator fixing fluids, etc.