Isuzu - big problems

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
the bag of bolts im driving at the moment has taken a turn for the worst. i cranked it yesterday and was greeted by lots of blue smoke.

its seriously down on power, wont go up hills and at low revs, there is a physical juddering, you can feel it through the pedals, wheel and seat and the gear stick is going nuts by the side of me. something is seriously fucked!

its got to be one, or even more cylinders out surely?

Diesel? Gas? And yeah, probably you have one or more cylinders off line - what is it?

Well blue smoke = burning oil, and coupled with the extreme shuddering I'd say that you've got totalled piston rings or ringlands in at least one cylinder.

It could also possibly be a headgasket, if it happened to fail somewhere between a cylinder and the oil feed, but that's unlikely I think.

With all those symptoms, I bet you have a cracked cylinder/ head.

Well blue smoke = burning oil, and coupled with the extreme shuddering I'd say that you've got totalled piston rings or ringlands in at least one cylinder.

It could also possibly be a headgasket, if it happened to fail somewhere between a cylinder and the oil feed, but that's unlikely I think.

Yep, I'd say you've done the ring(s) in, and that means major rebuild time.

Do a compression test to see which cylinder it is (take spark plugs out one at a time and test them with this)

The cylinder(s) with the least compression are your buggered ones

this trunk isnt mine, its a site vehicle. i dont really wanna spend anything on it, as ill have a hard time getting the money back. im going home in a week so im holding out, hoping it makes it to the end before it dies. the oil light was going nuts today, along with random <0.5 sec surges in power accompanies by an extra dose of smoke for the guy behind.

im driving round south africa, slowly killing the wildlife with this thing.. its embarrassing.

btw, i thought blue tinged smoke was badly combusted petrol? ie where it kinda part burns in the hot exhaust. white smoke is oil and black smoke is just bad full stop. or from a rich diesel. this is petrol though. 3.5 V6.... now probably a V3 and 3/4

btw, i thought blue tinged smoke was badly combusted petrol? ie where it kinda part burns in the hot exhaust. white smoke is oil and black smoke is just bad full stop. or from a rich diesel. this is petrol though. 3.5 V6.... now probably a V3 and 3/4
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = fuel
White smoke = coolant

That's usually how it goes, but it can get confusing if two or more things are burning at once!

Why don't you take it back to the person/company it belongs to?

^but then id have to rent a car and pay for fuel. trying to avoid that part haha, though i have had to rent a car for tomorrows trip to a safari place. no way do i trust that thing to go 400+km's in a day.

the best part is this truck has supposedly had a 60,000 Rand (ZAR) engine overhaul. me thinks someone pocketed 60,000 rand and did nothing.

Wut?

60,000 Rand is well over $8000, that could have bought a brand new engine and then some! Or at least a really nice rebuild with full machine work and all new internals, etc.

I don't think it's possible for someone to spend that much, and then accept that the car feels no different to before. More likely that someone has told you a load of bullshit, or the engine has been severely mistreated since the "overhaul."

So how pissed is the owner going to be when it explodes?

the best part is this truck has supposedly had a 60,000 Rand (ZAR) engine overhaul. me thinks someone pocketed 60,000 rand and did nothing.

does south africa know such a thing as warranty? for that amount there must be an invoice, no?