It is now a race for BBC to get new Top Gear out before the boys setup shop

TheGoodDoctor

Car(s)
04 330ci 6spd
Anyone else think so? Last thing the BBC wants is going head to head with whatever the boys are cooking up, how embarrassing would it be for new Top Gear to lose viewership to Clarkson's new show?

They don't care and Clarkson doesn't have a new show yet.
The Top Gear team shouldn't rush anything, they still have to get the remaining films put into the specials which were talked about and they also need to sort out the future of Top Gear without Clarkson.
What sort of show will it be, how will it work if it's May and Hammond? Or just May or Just Hammond? Do they find a Clarkson replacement? What if they decide to look for new hosts do they continue the 3 presenter format or try something different.
There is a whole lot to think about even Jeremy is probably thinking about Top Gear Live and getting his life in order more so then a new show, it's not like he's desperate for money the guy just had a new Mercedes delivered.

"Anyone else think so?"

Nope. Not one bit. For all we know, the three guys might not even be interested in carrying on with "a motoring show" in the future. They all have plenty of other interests, they can all do plenty of different things separately, and they might be plenty ready to walk away from the rigors of shooting Top Gear. We still don't really know if May and Hammond might continue on with Top Gear without Jeremy -- it's looking like they won't, but the bottom line is that we certainly don't know what any of them are going to do yet.

I don't believe it's a race at all. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the three never come together in the same context ever again. Clarkson can carry on with his writing, May has various other projects on-going and we believe pending with the BBC and Hammond's appeal is mainstream enough outside of cars which combined with his passion for wildlife should see him in work for a while.

The challenge for the BBC is not to beat them to the punch but to ensure that however they continue with Top Gear they maintain the quality and the audience.

Not going to happen.

Here's the thing: the BBC *do* know the formula for TG's success, and they know it *can* be replicated. What they have to do is find three personalities who are different,
who enjoy driving and cars, who are willing to cooperate with and compete against each other (thus developing a relationship over time that other people can watch) and --
most importantly -- who are *not* afraid to do things with a high potential for disaster and public humiliation.

Apart from CHM, Alton Brown, the Mythbusters, maybe Kari Byron and possibly a few female standup comedians under the right circumstances, there aren't that many professional media personalities who fit that particular template.

Couldn't have put it better myself but there's nothing to stop them finding three (virtual) unknowns to do that. Sure JC was a familiar face but they rebooted with two complete whos and only die hard fans of old TG would recognise May. All those betting on established faces are way off the mark but they are probably the same people who went around convinced the Stig was Damon Hill instead of Perry McCarthy or Ben Collins.

Couldn't have put it better myself but there's nothing to stop them finding three (virtual) unknowns to do that. Sure JC was a familiar face but they rebooted with two complete whos and only die hard fans of old TG would recognise May. All those betting on established faces are way off the mark but they are probably the same people who went around convinced the Stig was Damon Hill instead of Perry McCarthy or Ben Collins.

The TG3 were and still are professional automative journalists in their own right and according to Richard one of the requirements of becoming a TG presenter was that you had to be able to write your own stuff. Sure, Jeremy wrote the majority of the general scripting but Richard and James wrote the scripts for any of their solo pieces (and probably their joint pieces - those were the days *sigh*). So to replace them with a similar caliber of presenter would be incredibly difficult IMO. Just plucking '3 people who enjoy driving cars' out of nowhere would just not cut the mustard.

Hence my use of the word "virtual" but of course enjoyment of driving would be one criterion on a list of requirements. I don't believe for a moment that with a population as large as ours it would be that tricky to find three blokes with the right passion, humour and ability to turn an excellent phrase.

Given the turnout for Cowell's annual karaoke charade I don't imagine there will be any shortage of willing applicants.

A"race" is pointless. What matters is making a quality product. Not a quick one. No one is going to care which came first if the second is more enjoyable.

This is even assuming that happens. We don't know... maybe this will be the last time the three lads work together.

We aren't shills. We are simply trying to salvage reasoned debate from the ashes of a lame thread.

My hope is that the BBC--cognizant of the dangers of trying to assemble a new version of Top Gear that would undoubtedly under-perform at the start--will just wait a year and then re-sign Clarkson, May, and Hammond, after having made sure Clarkson issued a public apology.

My hope is that the BBC--cognizant of the dangers of trying to assemble a new version of Top Gear that would undoubtedly under-perform at the start--will just wait a year and then re-sign Clarkson, May, and Hammond, after having made sure Clarkson issued a public apology.
No, the BBC should make a public apology for how they have treated Jezza over the years for him to come back, none of the so-called incidents have warranted a reaction from the BBC.
Jezza has already apologized to the producer he slapped, and that should all be kept private, he does not need to make a public apology.

Reactions: MWF
So many BBC shills in this thread. Why would you not hope for the trio to come together again?
I didn't say I didn't want the trio to work together, I just said it was a possibility. Get the bullshit out of the obvious copious space between your ears.

- - - Updated - - -

No, the BBC should make a public apology for how they have treated Jezza over the years for him to come back, none of the so-called incidents have warranted a reaction from the BBC.
Jezza has already apologized to the producer he slapped, and that should all be kept private, he does not need to make a public apology.
Disagree completely. He PUNCHED a coworker. If he does want to come back to the BBC, a public apology is not at all unreasonable.

This does not excuse the BBC from the godawful way in which they've handled the situation, turning it from what could have been an internal dispute into a global clusterfuck.

How thick are you? He PUNCHED a co-worker. That is NEVER acceptable.

Reactions: MWF
More to the point he has been uncharacteristically silent since the "verdict" was handed down. A heartfelt public apology not only to Oisin Tymon but the rest of the crew and the millions of fans worldwide should have been delivered in very short order. It may be forthcoming but until it is while my respect for Jeremy's undeniable talent remains virtually undiminished much less can be said for my opinion of the man.

That may be because on-going legal implications might prevent him from so doing at this time, but even in that eventuality a press release for clarification would not have gone amiss.