Ownership Verified: It's a Golf...

Burn

Car(s)
'02 VW Golf GTI - '89 W124 200TE
...an that is really all there is to say about it ;)

My '99 Astra was dead because of rust and i needed a "new" car for virtually no money, so I ended up with this

-1.3 w/ fuel injection
-4-Speed Manual
-Rev Counter
-Sunroof

Not fast, not good in the corners, but somehow still fun to drive - maybe it just reminds me of old times :D
And I really like the feel you get from the wheel without power steering - I kinda miss ABS though, especially in the Winter...

That is now really all about it, so to the Pictures:

16-01-12_1302.jpg

16-01-12_1303.jpg

16-01-12_1306.jpg

16-01-12_1310.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol where did you find that? I kinda like the... wait... no, nothing about that :D

Didn't know they do that to MkII's - the ones around here are normally just very very low with 8x14" wheels on them or so, I thought sticking as much plastic as you can find on a car is more a thing with cars built from '95 till now *g*

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised :lol:

Keep it nice.

Haha, awesome numbers on the plate...

Buying a non diesel Mk2 Golf? Son, I am dissapoint. :D

Buying a non diesel Mk2 Golf? Son, I am dissapoint. :D

In Germany, taxes on old diesels are very high, so the diesel would have been more expensive to drive than the petrol version.

Although a friend of mine has got a non-Turbo MkII Golf "Van" (no Back Windows, 2 seats) 1.6 Diesel - you can register those as a "commercial vehicle", that way you can lower taxes a lot. But that was no option for me as I often take passengers with me and so I need the rear seats :)

Buying a non diesel Mk2 Golf?
Buying an old Diesel is very unwise in Germany, first because of taxes, second because of being forbidden to drive into most bigger towns due to environmental (pun intended) zones.

Nice car Burn, it'll probably outlive you.

lol where did you find that? I kinda like the... wait... no, nothing about that :D

Didn't know they do that to MkII's - the ones around here are normally just very very low with 8x14" wheels on them or so, I thought sticking as much plastic as you can find on a car is more a thing with cars built from '95 till now *g*

You have no idea how bad taste some of these owners have.

But keep it simple, and keep it nice, as public wrote. It's not often you see a nice original-ish one in Denmark.

I've been on the Autobahn today, seems like most of the 55 horses are still in there :D

23-01-12_1219.jpg

Good thing I don't have a touchscreen phone, so I can operate it without having to look at it, so that was almost safe :D

But the speed is nothing that special, in the end my Golf has the smallest engine, a G60 will do 140 mph and that's still the same basic Chassis

It's faster with 55hp than the 1.2 Fox is with the same power :dunno: that peaked around 155-160 on the speedo, officially 147.

o_O difficult to see how this works out.
My speedo might be less accurate than the one in the Fox, but still it does 152 officially, although it's presumably larger and less aerodynamic.

Things in favor of the Golf: -I was in 4th Gear, since there is no 5th^^
-Revs were at 5500 - max. power is rated at 5200, so I guess the gear ratio matches pretty well
-more displacement :D

The Fox is shorter, but width is the same and height is greater. Hence the frontal projected area is greater, negating some of the benefits from a (hopefully) better drag coefficient.