It's all about smilies!

we need this one!

gayf.gif

we could name it :hammondsclub: :lol:

Just had a thought:
Instead of, or in addition to smilies, have tiny little Clarkson faces with various silly expressions that he has. :lol:
Someone artistically inclined feel up to it?

:lol: That'd rule!

^ I'd be willing to give it a go - I'm going to have a lot of free time over my break from school and I love playing around with Photoshop. :D I think we could get some hilarious emoticons out of it.

One question though: does anyone know of a program that allows you to take screenshots of video playback easily? It doesn't work with print screen and VLC\Media Player obviously, and I usually end up using Adobe Premiere to output a screencapture. That's way too much work, so is there any easier way to do it?

zenon said:
^ I'd be willing to give it a go - I'm going to have a lot of free time over my break from school and I love playing around with Photoshop. :D I think we could get some hilarious emoticons out of it.

One question though: does anyone know of a program that allows you to take screenshots of video playback easily? It doesn't work with print screen and VLC\Media Player obviously, and I usually end up using Adobe Premiere to output a screencapture. That's way too much work, so is there any easier way to do it?

Quicktime allows you to capture screenshots

zenon said:
One question though: does anyone know of a program that allows you to take screenshots of video playback easily?
I was sure there are tools that do exactly that for you
I googled it and came up with this:
http://liewcf.com/wp/archives/2004/06/moviesnapshot-free-tool-to-capture-video-shots/
dunno if it's any good but it's worth the try, you may want to try to google it too

--EDIT--
Forget about it, I tried it and it's crap, there are a couple of good ones: SnagIt and HyperSnap DX but they're not free, you may like to try them or find your way around buying them, if u know what i mean :wink:

Here is a quote from a website about capturing screenshots of videos playing:
----
#I tried to capture Media Player or Real Player and the video is a blank solid color.

When Camtasia or SnagIt grabs a solid block of color instead of an image which looks fine on the screen, the problem is usually due to graphics hardware acceleration being used to display the image. The newer media players from Microsoft and RealNetworks are good about trying to use any graphics hardware acceleration that is available on the system. For example, some systems have graphics hardware which can perform a "hardware overlay" of video on the screen which bypasses the normal Windows display memory that SnagIt captures. Most video capture programs used to capture video from a video camera use "hardware overlay" by default for their video preview. Note that this kind of problem affects all screen capture programs, and even the image put in the clipboard by the PrintScreen key.

The best solution is to disable hardware acceleration in the application that is playing the video, or disable hardware acceleration system wide.

To disable acceleration in:

*Media Player: In Media Player 7, select Tools>Options>Performance. In Media Player v6.4 and earlier, select View>Options>Playback. In both cases slide the Hardware Acceleration slider to None.
*RealPlayer G2: Select Options/Preferences from the RealPlayer menu. Go to the "Performance" tab and disable (uncheck) the "Use optimized video display" setting. You may need to stop and restart any movie being played to have the change take effect.
* For the Apple QuickTime, select Edit>Preferences>Streaming Transport. In the dropdown box select Video Settings and uncheck all of the DirectDraw options.

To disable graphics hardware acceleration globally for all applications on Windows 2000, select Control Panel>Display>Properties>Settings>Advanced>Troubleshooting, on other versions of Windows select Control Panel>System>Performance tab>Graphics>Advanced settings. In both cases slide the Hardware Acceleration slider to None.
----
Personal note, Just make sure you slide it back to full after you finish your captures because in software rendering mode you loose a lot of quality and performance

zenon said:
One question though: does anyone know of a program that allows you to take screenshots of video playback easily?
The easiest way to do a screencapture I think is to use VirtualDub :
http://www.virtualdub.org/
You can step through frames rather nicely too (unlike most video players) .
Use the "copy source frame to clipboard" (Ctrl+1) from the Video menu.

PowerDVD is my primary player and that does screen shots (to clipboard or file) without a problem as well.

BSplayer is easiest.
just play the file, press "p" at all the right moments, go to you bsplayer dir: voila, all the screenshots as good quality jpegs.