It's Happened! New Intel Macs!

Power Up With MagSafe

The new power adapter with MagSafe connector is designed to magnetically guide your cord into place and disconnect smoothly if someone (else) trips over it.

indexmagneticanim20060109.gif

I love that...once during a lecture, somebody from the technical staff tripped over the power cord of the laptop of the professor, and his laptop fell on the ground. Hilarious :d

I also don't want this to be a flame war between MS haters and Mac lovers (no wait, that's the same), but I say: live and let live. Don't bash MS, don't bash Apple. If you love the one more than the other, just love it and leave the other OS be.

jensked said:
Power Up With MagSafe

The new power adapter with MagSafe connector is designed to magnetically guide your cord into place and disconnect smoothly if someone (else) trips over it.

I love that...once during a lecture, somebody from the technical staff tripped over the power cord of the laptop of the professor, and his laptop fell on the ground. Hilarious :d

Agreed, this looks nice... but I wonder how long before it stops working... Unfortunately it just seems like something else to go wrong... Does look sweet though.

monkeymax said:
jensked said:
Power Up With MagSafe

Agreed, this looks nice... but I wonder how long before it stops working... Unfortunately it just seems like something else to go wrong... Does look sweet though.

I could really use that with my current powerbook. I've pulled it off desks before by tripping over the cable. Luckily it was never damaged in the fall, but something like that could be extremely useful.

monkeymax said:
jensked said:
Power Up With MagSafe

its a magnet. wtf could go wrong?

matt_shaw said:
monkeymax said:
jensked said:
Power Up With MagSafe

it might fall on the floppy and erase it :lol:

Xeon SX said:
matt_shaw said:
monkeymax said:
jensked said:
Power Up With MagSafe

it might fall on the floppy and erase it :lol:

Yeah, if you are still using floppy disks, you deserve to have a magnet to erase it. :-D

It's not like they are going to be putting a huge electromagnet into the machine. It's likely not going to be any stronger than a magnetic tipped screw driver, which won't harm data integrity on modern hard drives.

Apple's hardware and software are all so pretty, I have nothing against them. I just need Windows to run the software I wanna run. :)

Anyway, PA has commented:

20060111h.jpg

Looks like both of them are thinking about buying one too: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/01/11

I so want to get my hands on one now. It appears that it currently won't run windows xp, as a result of using intel's new bios systems (EFI). Apparently it requires Windows Vista to work (of which I happen to know how to obtain). March can't come fast enough :-(

matt_shaw said:
this is bullshit. i want the amd chips in the macs
intel chips based on Yonah mobile chip yielded almost as good scores than amd64 x2 desktop chips.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2627
matt_shaw said:
but still AMD is 92050258084639760x ahead of intel. from what i can gather apple only went with intel because they could produce the chips alot faster
Not to mention Intel can do the internals for Apple as well. AFAIK AMD doesnt do anything else but chip design in-house. AMD outsources mainboard chipsets to 3rd parties.
chaos386 said:
Intel is also in a much better position to provide marketing support and to help in the transition of software from PPC-based code to x86-based code.
AFAIK Apple didnt opt for Intel's marketing money to keep the aesthetic value of Macs clear of stickers.
chaos386 said:
Rrrrr, I just saw them now and tried to edit my post in time. When I checked earlier today I was redirected to the old site or something. :?

EDIT: I have to say, $1,300 does not seem like a bad price for those iMacs. Especially when they come with integrated widescreen displays and DVD burners.
Dont forget the remove & integrated webcam. Do PC desktops from Dell have integrated WiFi?
monkeymax said:
I just wonder if anyone is actually gonna bother with the G5 version anymore? The Intel version is going to be the same price, isn't it? Okay, it means you have to wait a month but I reckon most people would given the obvious advantages (well, those who know about anything computers)...

Edit: No G5 iMacs available on the UK Online Apple Store... And once again the price is quite inflated compared to the US Store... I wonder if this has always been their practice? (200 pound difference this time on the lower end one)
I read somewhere that apple's just waiting for their PowerPC-based Powerbooks & iMac to run out. There are still a lot of people who're paranoid with Rosetta not working as well as apps under native hardware.
flyingfridge said:
I love the marketing spin. After years of saying their processors are as good as intels and AMDs only 934213987x slower, mac seems to admit their processors were shite:

You?ve dreamed about it long enough. Now it has a name: MacBook Pro. Powered by a dual-core Intel engine. Up to four times the speed of the PowerBook G4. Eight times the graphics bandwidth.
Clock per clock Intel P4s and older are slower than PowerPCs.
Clock per clock G5s are 2-3x slower than Intel Core Duo.
Clock per clock Intel P4s and older are slower Intel Core Duo.

Intel Core Duo are derived from Pentium Ms. These Pentium Ms are acknowledged as being better than P4s on a clock per clock basis.
hokiethang said:
andyhui01 said:
This is probably quite a stupid question... but since its running on intel chips, is it possible to run windows on it now?

Yes,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794396/from/RS.3/

but I have no idea why anyone would want to run windows on it, when you get OS X with it.
AutoCAD? Games? Viruses? ;)
zenkidori said:
^seriously^

On the flipside there is work being done on running OSX on PCs :thumbsup:
I doubt the project will prosper seeming Apple's giving away FREE iMacs to developers who availed of the Developer Transition Kit that was reelased last June.

This means hacking the officiall OS X on Intel will have to be done from scratch & will be limited to hackers.
andyhui01 said:
is it going to be as simple as just installing windows on a normal computer?
One way to find out... ;)

Apple's using EFI to handle the boot chores instead of Flash BIOS. I heard though that Intel creaated a BIOS emulator for backward compatibility. It's up to Apple if they'll do that.

Dont expect driver or any type of support from Apple on how to install Windows on their hardware. It just doesnt make sense to them.
flyingfridge said:
OSX is such a stupid operating system. It's useless. Sure it looks nice and there's plenty of eye candy, but macs have never been intuitive and never do what u want them to do.

Mac: Crash Different.
OS X is touted to be designed as an OS your grandma can use without bothering you with a phonecall. If you find it hard to use... ;)
matt_shaw said:
You'd need an industrial strength magnet to mess modern computers. The latch on all Mac laptops have small magnets to keep the lid close. It doesnt mess with Macs at all.

http://images.apple.com/movies/us/apple/intel/intel20060110_h.640.mov

evoWALO said:
chaos386 said:
Rrrrr, I just saw them now and tried to edit my post in time. When I checked earlier today I was redirected to the old site or something. :?

EDIT: I have to say, $1,300 does not seem like a bad price for those iMacs. Especially when they come with integrated widescreen displays and DVD burners.
Dont forget the remove & integrated webcam. Do PC desktops from Dell have integrated WiFi?
I just priced out as many parts of the new 20" iMac as I could on Newegg.com and dell.com (just for the 2005fpw), and the total came to $1,435.18. That doesn't include a case, power supply, speakers, the iSight, Apple Remote, Wifi, Firewire, Bluetooth, or shipping.

I almost wish I didn't already have a decent computer! :p

Seeming Apple has a tendency to pay attention to detail I'd think the 20" iMac Intel Duo Core is energy efficient out of the box.

I'm really itching to get the MacBook Pro as opposed to a desktop (I got a Northwood for gaming needs) but the rumor that Apple was forced into not announcing other products due to shortage of Intel Core chips makes me believe that more cooler products will be announced from now or until April 1.

evoWALO said:
pls delete

All cleaned up. :-D

Yeah, I heard the rumors that they were going to be offering even cooler stuff, but couldn't due to chip shortages. I REALLY want to see those, hopefully they will announce them before my current powerbook bites the dust (which won't be soon, hopefully). I could use a mac mini with intel cores too, since i've always wanted one.

thanks hokie!

A Mac Mini Intel Core Duo/Solo w/ Front Row inside my Evo would be ultra sweet. I read over at Macnn.com that a lot of corporate buyers are pissed at Intel because they gave priority to Apple for Intel Core allocations.

There are various reports that recent software Apple released work on hacked version of OS X for Intel. As someone who used OS X on a white box PC it isnt really worth it as it isnt the full Mac experience and you'd still be better off with Windows.

Re: It's Happened! New Intel Macs!

monkeymax said:
... snip...

Edit: Now I'm annoyed. I know that here in the UK we pay more for electronics than the 'States, but this is just stupid.
The MacBook costs $1999 (which at today's exchange rate comes out at ?1,132.77) at the online US Apple Store. But the same computer from the UK Apple Store (again online) is ?1429! Where'd the extra 300 pounds come from?! :censored: I've not been this annoyed with Apple for a while. I was going to have to wait till I got back from snowboarding next month as it was, but now it seems I'll likely have to wait till Summer before I can afford one... :(

That'd be VAT... Apple's US prices are quoted Tax exclusive while everywhere else is tax inclusive. Drop the price by 17.5% in the UK and it's about $US2160, a price premium of about 8%...

Anyway, I cancelled my order for a Powerbook 17" on hearing the news. Instead, I will soon be the proud owner of a MacBook Pro 1.83GHz with 100GB@7200RPM HDD. The store I ordered it from even honoured the 10% discount that applied to the Powerbook for stuffing up my order. When combined with salary sacrificing and 24 months interest free, it'll be one sweet deal...

Apple recently said they won't support any kind of windows on Apple hardware, however they aren't going to be mad if someone does it either, they don't seem to care either way. So if you want Windows on your mac it will be a hacker project, with no driver support for Apple hardware, so have fun.

OSX on PC will indeed be for hackers, which is why I'm interested in the project. I'm the type of guy who takes everything apart and puts it back together out of boredom, who buys a used Xbox just to make it run Linux, voids the warranty one every phone he's ever had and sticks a portable ham radio in his sportscar. 8)

Now that it has Intel cpu's can you install Windows XP on it? :lol: Apple should offer WinXP as an option. :D