It's Offical: I'm Tired of Four-Cylinders

a 240sx isn't what you could call slow and compared to the cars you mentionned it's much lighter too so it got some advantages, besides last time I checked Canada had still speed limits.
It's cool to know you've got a V8 or V6 but only if you can use it.

The north American spec S13/s14 is shit compared to the rest of the worlds. 150hp (give or take 10) and 2800lbs. We didn't get the turbo charged SR20 version (that was also a couple of hundred pounds lighter).

Yeah, our 240 came with a (CA) truck engine.

Yes it is.

In Europe the SX turbo has between 169 and 200bhp depending the version.
So again a rear wheel drive 169hp and less than 1200kg car isn't slow at least for Europe, plus this car seems to handle quiet well.

but if you want to go fast on a straight line I guess a big American V8 is the best deal :)

->Edit OK read the other post about the 240 SX with canadian specs , indeed if you didn't had the turbo version it was probably not that fast , sorry.

Ah, yes, there's a bit confusion on the 240SX spec. Mine is a base-model Canadian spec, so 15" wheels and tires, the softer suspension package and KA24DE truck engine (rated at 155 HP and 160 lb-ft of torque, but only after 4400 RPM...ugh).

LS1 F-body (Camaro/Firebird, 1998-2002), look for an SS/WS6 that will have better handling bits. 350+ hp and they can be had cheap. LS1s are popular for modding you can go into the mid 400s with heads/cam/headers and the engine is stout.

I've lived with one for 7 years bought new... If you want to know more, I'll sing the praises and point out the warts.

stock dyno vs. my modded 951 (2.5 liter turbo 4)...

http://img524.imageshack.**/img524/2152/996dynocomparison944vstkj9.jpg

Ironically I'm heading in the opposite direction, looking to lower my profile with a Mini Cooper or BMW one series. One answer to "not enough power" is "less car to carry around". ;)

Last edited:
Wow that is a flat-ass torque curve on the Firebird.

The GTO was never sold in Canada, nor can it be imported to Canada from the U.S. (http://www.riv.ca/ ). However, the Holdenpontiac G8 will most likely be sold in Canada.

Out of the cars you suggested, the best pure power can be had with a Mustang. I guess I'm biased because I'm about to pick up a Mustang in 2 days, though.

yeah 4-pots are naff

the one in my focus you really gotta stir it around 4k rpm if you want any kind of forward motion worth measuring.

and ontop of that they are inherently pretty rough engines..... V's FTW indeed. they dont even sound that good, neither induction nor exhaust noises are particularly pleasing. most people fit fart canons which to me is just noise.

like the S2000 on top gear, yeah 9000rpm, but it sounds soo lumpy and un-sporty. id take the sixers out the porsche/bmw any day. plus the S2000 is pretty gutless till you rag it.

What about a E39 5 Series BMW and for about 30K US dll you can get an M5 that's about the price of a new Mustang

bah, just get a 5 cylinder and be done with it.... (older audi 20v-t comes to mind!)

I guess I'll suggest a realistic car based on his requirements.

1) 1987-1993 Ford Mustang GT (5spd)
2) 1990-1992 Chevy Camaro IROC/Z28 (5spd) / Trans-Am (5spd) / Firebird (5spd)
3) 1990-1996 Nissan 300ZX (get a turbo and a manual)
4) 1998-2001 Ford Contour SVT (they are quicker than you think)
5) 1992-1996 Lexus SC400
6) 2002-2004 Ford Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor (can be quick with Mustang bits)

Those are all within your price range--if you can cross the border and buy them in the US--I have NO CLUE how much these go for in Canada.

I own #2 (sort-of) and I've owned #6 and driven all of the others, my recommendation based on starting price and modability I'd say get the Mustang GT or the Camaro/Firebird/Trans-Am.

1) 1987-1993 Ford Mustang GT (5spd)
2) 1990-1992 Chevy Camaro IROC/Z28 (5spd) / Trans-Am (5spd) / Firebird (5spd)
3) 1990-1996 Nissan 300ZX (get a turbo and a manual)
Those are all within the range of my consideration :)

4) 1998-2001 Ford Contour SVT (they are quicker than you think)
No good -- FWD. Although, it is rare and I do believe you that it is quick.

5) 1992-1996 Lexus SC400
Looks good, but, from what I can tell, it only comes with a slushbox.

6) 2002-2004 Ford Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor (can be quick with Mustang bits)
Still, only slushbox unless modified.

Thanks for the suggestions.

a 240sx isn't what you could call slow and compared to the cars you mentionned it's much lighter too so it got some advantages, besides last time I checked Canada had still speed limits.
It's cool to know you've got a V8 or V6 but only if you can use it.

Yes, it's true we have speed limits, but we also don't have speed cameras or many speed traps, and if there ever is a speed trap, it's broadcasted all over the radio.

We also have cops that have better things to do than pull over speeders and bust kids for smoking pot. :p

As long as your not driving erradicly, most of the time, they don't care.