It's Offical: I'm Tired of Four-Cylinders

a 240sx isn't what you could call slow and compared to the cars you mentionned it's much lighter too so it got some advantages, besides last time I checked Canada had still speed limits.
It's cool to know you've got a V8 or V6 but only if you can use it.
What are you doing on a car forum? :rolleyes:

No kidding. Speed limits? They're just suggestions.

Yes, it's true we have speed limits, but we also don't have speed cameras or many speed traps, and if there ever is a speed trap, it's broadcasted all over the radio.

We also have cops that have better things to do than pull over speeders and bust kids for smoking pot. :p

As long as your not driving erradicly, most of the time, they don't care.
How nice of them in BC for the radio to broadcast speed traps. We are not as lucky here in the Toronto area where it quotas are more important. Every end of the month there are tons of speed traps. Driving life in the Toronto area is pretty boring and slow, now that your considered a street racer if you attempt to go fast on the highways.

Speed traps around here are pretty predictable and almost always in the same place ;)

Yes, it's true we have speed limits, but we also don't have speed cameras or many speed traps, and if there ever is a speed trap, it's broadcasted all over the radio.

We also have cops that have better things to do than pull over speeders and bust kids for smoking pot. :p

As long as your not driving erradicly, most of the time, they don't care.

Come to Ontario. Speed traps galore and I just went past one today.

Those are all within the range of my consideration :)

You will like the foxbody or f-body cars. :D

No good -- FWD. Although, it is rare and I do believe you that it is quick.

FWD can't always be bad. I can think of two examples off the top if my head that are fabulous at being FWD. Contour SVT and a Honda Prelude (4th and 5th gens).

Looks good, but, from what I can tell, it only comes with a slushbox.

Yes, only an auto. But as a reward you can get some serious power out of the I6.

Still, only slushbox unless modified.

Still could be quite fast and most importantly, look VERY cool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

No problem. :mrgreen:

It's. Not. Fast. Enough. Period.

I'm tired of waiting for useful power at the last 1500 RPM (and not a whole lot of it, at that)

It's a ways off until I can afford a different car, but it's a goal I'm making for myself. I'm looking for some suggestions on what my options would be. My requirements are pretty basic, though quite limiting: at least six cylinders under hood propelling the rear wheels though a manual gearbox. That's it, really.

Here is the list of cars I've come up with so far:
- Ford Mustang 5.0L
- Pontiac Firebird (V8)
- Chevrolet Camaro (V8)
- Nissan 300ZX
- Toyota Supra

I think I favour the latter two more than the others because, even though, they have less "insta-torque", they'll have better handling characteristics.

You do realize that you will lose a lot of credibility as an automotive enthusiast. People will say,

"Oh hey man, whadya drive?"
"Oh a 90 something Mustang."
"Oh."

Between all of my cars I have 22 cylinders, you could borrow some.

What the hell are you smoking? You won't lose one ounce of "credibility" as you say owning a Mustang or anything else on that list. Take a look at my two cars, I own both ends of the performance spectrum so I can appreciate both for what they are. And frankly, whether you own a Camaro or a Prelude you can STILL be an automotive enthusiast. It isn't even neccessarily what you drive anyway, but what you know and what you love. So someone that owns a bland boring compact saloon (like a Chevy Cobalt) can't be considered an automotive enthusiast even though they may eat sleep and breathe Nissan love? Give me a break.

FWD can't always be bad. I can think of two examples off the top if my head that are fabulous at being FWD. Contour SVT and a Honda Prelude (4th and 5th gens).
If I had to have a FWD, the Honda Prelude -- which I have also driven -- is one of the very few cars I would consider, next to a Nissan Sentra SE-R. I can't say anything for the Contour SVT as I haven't driven one.

You do realize that you will lose a lot of credibility as an automotive enthusiast. People will say,

"Oh.
Yeah, well... they'll loose their smugness as soon as they loose their doors after I've blown them off :p

If I had to have a FWD, the Honda Prelude -- which I have also driven -- is one of the very few cars I would consider, next to a Nissan Sentra SE-R. I can't say anything for the Contour SVT as I haven't driven one.

Yeah, well... they'll loose their smugness as soon as they loose their doors after I've blown them off :p

I'm not trying to be the spelling nazi, but you're looking for "lose."

I like the 300ZX, but I know what you mean, especially if it's a turbo with a lot of miles (low mileage turbo 300ZX's are hard to come by)

When I was shopping around for my track car (ended up going with the 951) the 300ZX TT was high on my list. Their value went up and finding a good example that wasn't beaten to hell was very hard and prices were very high. Now this was right around the time the 350Z came out, so maybe it's a different story now.

"Oh."

Been to a lot of autocrosses or road races with that Infiniti or your two gigantic trucks?

I'd wager not. Show up to any random event and chances are almost a lock you will find a 90 something Mustang, or any of those other cars, there.

And an enthusiastic kid with a broken old Mustang or F-Body can be more of a true enthusiast than some schmuck with more money than personality in a brand new 911, M3, or, say, an Infiniti. Unless, by enthusiast, you mean "superficial badge whore".

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with a 90-something Mustang.

But the trap there is...are you talking about a 4.6 or a 5.0? If we're talking about the squareish mustangs that ran from the mid 1980s to the early 90s...those cars aren't going to be particularly fast by today's standards. The 1989 Mustang GT I had, for example, had 185hp and would almost certainly get hosed by a current generation V6 Mustang. And the handling wasn't much to write home about.

Something I've seen at autocrosses and is pretty good is the Neon SRT-4. Not super refined, but a good handling and nimble car from what I've seen of it. It's slightly higher than the money you've been talking about, but not by much.

Steve

I'm not trying to be the spelling nazi, but you're looking for "lose."
Ack! Sorry :p

But the trap there is...are you talking about a 4.6 or a 5.0? If we're talking about the squareish mustangs that ran from the mid 1980s to the early 90s...those cars aren't going to be particularly fast by today's standards. The 1989 Mustang GT I had, for example, had 185hp and would almost certainly get hosed by a current generation V6 Mustang. And the handling wasn't much to write home about.
I would be looking at the 5.0L V8 (225 HP, 300 lb-ft). I have driven one before, and it is wicked-scary fast by my books.

The VW Corrado VR6 has a V6, and is the car I want next!

There's nothing wrong with a 90-something Mustang.

Steve

Just swap the motor's and they are freakishly fast...

From what I've heard Mustang parts are pretty interchangeable from 79-2004 (all Fox). I read somewhere of a guy who installed the IRS from a 2004 SVT Cobra into his 80s something GT. So there is plenty of potential if you are inclined to do some moding.

Before deciding on a Mustang to replace my Volvo I was considering a Contour SVT, both were cheap to fix and fast. RWD and the angry v8 sound however sold me on the Mustang. I went for a GT with a 4.6L because it also has a lot of upgrade potential, and I have bad memories of that 5L from my old Lincoln Towncar (yes I know the Mustang had a much better version, but the taint of it was too strong for me).

The great thing about my Mustang is that is has a fairly comfortable ride, it is a nice daily driver. The handling isn't nearly as bad as the Clarkson zombies say it is (it defiantly beats my old Volvo 850 Turbo) and if you want it to handle better there are plenty of parts from Saleen, Roush, and others to do that.