It's time for a cheaper sports car.

A 914 can't be cheap to fix...

A 914 can't be cheap to fix...

Neither is a BMW...

I really think your best choice would be either a Miata or a Mustang. But you don't care for Mustangs so that leaves you with a Miata. An MR2/MR2-Spyder is worth keeping an eye out for, but keep in mind the small trunk of a mid-engined car; it may not be as practical as a Miata for daily driver duties.

Neither is a BMW...

I really think your best choice would be either a Miata or a Mustang. But you don't care for Mustangs so that leaves you with a Miata. An MR2/MR2-Spyder is worth keeping an eye out for, but keep in mind the small trunk of a mid-engined car; it may not be as practical as a Miata for daily driver duties.

A 914 adds the complexity of a mid-engined car over a BMW...

E30s are not exactly complex cars, they're not much more expensive than anything else. I was pleasantly surprised by parts prices with my E30.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 914 engine closer to the VW Beetle engine than any other Porsche engine?

The 914 1.7 actually has a VW engine, but the 2 Litre is all Porsche - with all that that implies.

Problem with something as exotic as a 914 is that finding people who know what they are doing is going to be problematic, since he's not going to be doing his own work something common and simple would be a better proposition.

Problem with something as exotic as a 914 is that finding people who know what they are doing is going to be problematic, since he's not going to be doing his own work something common and simple would be a better proposition.

The cars are pretty easy to work on and it wouldn't be hard finding a shop in the bay area that specializes in old VWs and Porsches. Hell, there are two highly reputable aircooled VW shops here in Santa Cruz...

Last edited:
what about the 5th Generation T18 89-94 ?

What about an 81 - 85 Celica?

I had one. Pretty good cars, sturdy and reliable, reasonable handling - but almost no upgrades in the aftermarket. Lots of stock replacement parts though, which makes sense because they're basically a Hilux with a car body on it.

Merkur XR4Ti?

IIRC, of the number of XR4Ti's here on FG none actually run or are roadworthy.

I have personally seen two in my entire life, one looked pretty damn sweet and was in a parking lot of Cracker Barrel so I'm guessing it was in running condition enough to get there :p

I have personally seen two in my entire life, one looked pretty damn sweet and was in a parking lot of Cracker Barrel so I'm guessing it was in running condition enough to get there :p

It may possibly have had a motor swap. The turbo 2.3 wasn't the happiest motor in the world and dropping a 5.0 in it is pretty easy when the 2.3 dies.

It may possibly have had a motor swap. The turbo 2.3 wasn't the happiest motor in the world and dropping a 5.0 in it is pretty easy when the 2.3 dies.

The 2.3 on my SVO seems pretty happy. :p

Don't get an XR4ti. Save your soul.