I've decided to get rid of my bad ways

nouseferaname90

I've heard your opinions on my shit driving style, and I have decided to start driving like a normal person. After seeing someone being hit head on because someone was being dumb and ran a red light, I see how I may (or more or less was) reckless...

I need some help. If I ever do get "boy racer" urges, what do you suggest I do? I'm not ready to go full Christian motorist, but I am ready to go normal driver.

hm....

I'll quote myslf from your other thread first...

don't be so hard on yourself, who didn't drive a bit recklessly in their youth, I know I did (and still do occasionally)...

Running red lights is obviously wrong, and you should never drive in a way that puts other people in danger, but surly there are track days in your area, and there is nothing wrong with speeding on public roads if you do it the right way.

I need some help. If I ever do get "boy racer" urges, what do you suggest I do? I'm not ready to go full Christian motorist, but I am ready to go normal driver.

Look up track days in your area, it lets you get all the urges out of your system.

Alternatively, just consider every car behind you is an undercover cop car.

hm....

I'll quote myslf from your other thread first...

Running red lights is obviously wrong, and you should never drive in a way that puts other people in danger, but surly there are track days in your area, and there is nothing wrong with speeding on public roads if you do it the right way.

I know that. I have never run a red light/stop sign, but I think he missed the red light because he was speeding and could not stop in time.

I'm kinda with avanti on this. Speeding itself is not wrong, as long as you do it responsibly. Always make sure that what you're doing is safe (anticipation is key here) and always assume the worst from other drivers (trust me, they won't disappoint you in this). Always keep a safe margin with whatever you do. If for any reason you feel those urges again, ask yourself if arriving 5 minutes earlier at your destination is worth dying for. If the answer is no, bite your steering wheel or scream your lungs out or whatever, just don't give in to them.

trackdays are good, so is playing computer games. Both are less expensive than either speeding tickets, bail money, or lifelong chiropractor sessions to make you walk again.

I've heard your opinions on my shit driving style, and I have decided to start driving like a normal person. After seeing someone being hit head on because someone was being dumb and ran a red light, I see how I may (or more or less was) reckless...

Here's a tip: never be where people don't expect you to be. That includes crossing red lights. Noone EVER looks to the left and the right when crossing a green light.

That also includes driving 50 km/h over in the fast lane when there's any traffic. Somebody will look in their rear view mirror, they'll see you're far and change lanes, or avoid a pothole. You can rear-end them. People don't track speed in their rear view mirrors.

Autocross - focus is on driver control and car handling. I can honestly say that after three events I was a better driver (Im not typing out the whole story). Its also dirt cheap ($25-$50 for the day), you meet great people who are willing to help you learn, you can get an instructor to ride along and comment on your driving (for free). Its great!
Karting - theres nothing like pushing yourself to the limit in wheel-to-wheel competition. The rush that you get as you are balancing the little thing on the edge of grip and slide is something that I cannot explain - you have to experience it to understand it. Its also cheap - I go to a local place where I get two races for $25.
On the street the most important thing is to understand that you should not be trying to prove anything to anyone, including yourself. Just because some idiot cuts you off, doesnt mean that you should cut him off right back - just let him go; he is a tool and will get whats coming to him. Prove your skills where its safe - track, autocross, karting, etc. Dodge cones, not grandmas in Buics. Also remember that having your insurance sky rocket is really really not fun.

Play need for speed. Not prostreet though, that one's gay. It might help you vent your road frustrations out if you can't find a track or private circuit to speed on.

1. Keep distance. Always.
2. Video record all your driving, and examine it later.

Both ones work for me.
Greetings, lip

I'm kinda with avanti on this. Speeding itself is not wrong, as long as you do it responsibly. Always make sure that what you're doing is safe (anticipation is key here) and always assume the worst from other drivers (trust me, they won't disappoint you in this). Always keep a safe margin with whatever you do. If for any reason you feel those urges again, ask yourself if arriving 5 minutes earlier at your destination is worth dying for. If the answer is no, bite your steering wheel or scream your lungs out or whatever, just don't give in to them.

Well said - right on the money.

Don't be a dick in traffic. Don't drive at speeds beyond your ability and road conditions. The former includes running red lights, tailgating, and refusing to allow people to merge. The latter involves speeding moderately, since many car/road combinations aren't designed to be stable at above 100mph - good luck taking a gradual interstate curve at 120.

If you're going to speed, do it out on the open roads, and not on a busy street downtown.

If you get the urge to drive like a maniac, go to the track, or atleast an empty parking lot or something along those lines.

Play need for speed. Not prostreet though, that one's gay. It might help you vent your road frustrations out if you can't find a track or private circuit to speed on.

Good advice. Video games are a great way to blow off some steam, and it's no big deal if you crash :)

Last edited:
I have another question then. How much speeding is fine? I know that going 90mph on the 99 or any highway is a bit much, but what is a reasonable amount?

^Don't listen to Avanti, he's Italian :driving:

I have another question then. How much speeding is fine? I know that going 90mph on the 99 or any highway is a bit much, but what is a reasonable amount?

Many cops I've talked to (in traffic court, take it as you wish) talk about giving a leeway of 10-15mph, so if the limit is 65 then you can go up to 75 and still have a bit of luck.

Of course...USE YOUR BLOODY COMMON SENSE. Go with the flow of traffic. If everybody does 80, then do 80 also. If there's a speed trap and brake lights go off, do the same thing. Go with the flow of traffic. Don't be a rolling roadblock, and don't stand out in traffic. If you really feel that paranoid about speed traps (like I do) then consider investing in a radar detector. And if you're broke (like me) then there's always Trapster for hints.

Also, if you really want to be a better motorist then don't drive a Lexus. :tease:

If you want to prove yourself, AND learn, get involved with either NASA or the SCCA. If you have those urges in traffic, let the blood flow back into the head on your shoulders, and use some rational thought. Slow down, change lanes, turn into a drive or a different road, whatever.

If you have the urge to tear ass on the road, do some scouting in your area to try to find roads that are to your liking, with minimal blind drives and no sidewalks. Sidewalks means residential, and what kind of ass races in neighborhoods? Get up early on a Sunday morning and take a few spirited runs...you do not have to go full on 10/10th's to enjoy the thrill of it. I mean, taking a 25 mph corner at 40, while in your lane is still fun, right? It is to me!

I was like you. I lived in a city that is infamous for drag/ light-to-light racing on a particular street, and Friday and Saturday nights I out there until 2 in the morning. Sometimes we would race each other on the twisty roads in Western Wisconsin, I learned about drifting when no one knew what it was in America. Can you believe a 1983 Cutlass with a 455 is actually a good drift car? :lol:
I have seen my share of accidents, gory crash scenes and friends injured or killed to never do it again. Hope it never happens to you.

100+ on the interstate is fine IF and ONLY IF it's completely deserted, you have no passenger, and you understand that your hazard to life increases exponentially with speed. Have I personally (while wearing a helmet) exceeded 75mph over the speed limit in a race-prepped rally car (AKA safe at many speeds)? That's for the courts to decide.

On a non-deserted road, for utilitarian purposes (AKA get there faster), I say no more than 20 over. I regularly do 80+ on the interstate - it's just the flow of traffic. 90+ vs. an 80mph traffic is just dangerous - you don't have a lot of grip or reaction time to work with if an old lady going 60 decides to pull out in front of you.