Ownership Verified: I've upgraded my 5er

MXM

I paid for this title
Oh yes. E28 > E34, I'm totally convinced now :D

As people on IRC and those who visited my E34 thread are painfully aware of, I've been long thinking about replacing the 520i. Since last September or so. I went from wanting an E28 to wanting an W126, to W126 but only with V8, to C126, which I almost blindly bought from Germany (thanks Dr. Grip!), to E28 again, to (surprise!) 205 GTI, and back to E28. But.... the E28 had to be with an M30 engine, for various reasons, which I will not go into now. That limited selection to 2.5l+

The problem was, the E28 are getting freaking rare! On the Finnish car trading site, as checked yesterday, there were roughly 300 E34s advertised but only 11 E28s. 3 of them were M30. 2 of them were crap. So guess what, I got the only good one :mrgreen:

It's a 528i, with practically no rust (really!) and practically no options. I love the color but I don't like the interior. It has standard non-sport seats, and I will not even post pics of it, because it's one of the first items on my list to replace. The engine is strong, quiet and really amazing, I'm totally hooked. With very long gearing, just keeping it in 4th all day you'd be fine in most situations. The steering feel is heads and shoulders above my E34, and the whole car just feels smaller and lighter. It's not actually that light, but it feels like it. Feels playful and very responsive. While the E34 just wanted to waft all day.

I traded my E34 (and some cash) for it, and while it is not perfect, and I already have a list of things to fix, this is the car I will be happy spending my money on. The E34 just wasn't.

More pics from short test drive after the purchase

Korkee, hehe.. Not really ;) I think it's a bit too low. And/or tyres are too wide. It seems to make contact with arches with some enthusiastic driving. I'll have to think about it. I do like how the wheels look on it, very much so. I'm surprised myself, I'm usually a total originality-snob.

And the ubiquitous white E30 ix. It's on 80% of all fg's car photos from Finland, seem to be some kind of rule :p

Why is someone always under my car? :?

And the mandatory:

Disclaimer: sorry if I offended any E34 owners, wasn't the intention. All I said above applies only to my ex-520i, which was a totally dull Suomi-spec ass mover :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I guessed eventually not bad. Expected it in the end. Very nice car, the e28 would be an option for me to instead of an e30 :).

Gratz! Many happy kilometers to you!

:heart:

E28s are gorgeous and that green is fantastic. Much better than the normal boring array of colors.

Great looking BMW you got there. Love the wheels.

E60 V10 swap!

<3

The color works really, really well with those wheels. Hopefully you can sort out the problem by raising it a bit.

Does it have LSD? Just for the winter, you know. ;)

There is no LSD in the options list, and the seller didn't mention anything, so probably not. And I didn't try to burn any rubber to find out :)

I absolutely love it. It looks stunning with those wheels! Congrats!!!! :)

EDIT: engine bay pics, NAO!!!! :)

Last edited:
Whoa...great!

Like it a lot!

Does it have any ///M parts on it or was the previous owner just trying to be more of a man with the ///M shifter

Thanks. And it's just an M-shifter.

Btw, I'm not sure if you're implying that M-options only belong on M-cars? I hope not, because that's wrong :p And I am planning to introduce more stuff with M-badges into the interior eventually (but not exterior).

EDIT: Ah crap, nicjasno, I forgot again. Maybe tomorrow, it's too dark now :p

No, but to me it needs to have at least some performance improving stuff from an ///M car to warrant more M badges :p otherwise it's just a lying scumbag

Sweet car! Love the color. :)

No, but to me it needs to have at least some performance improving stuff from an ///M car to warrant more M badges :p otherwise it's just a lying scumbag

That's not true, Blayde. M-technic is not just mechanical performance parts, but also aero parts and interior parts, all that stuff was an option for regular E28s. I agree that an ///M badge on the trunk or the front would be wrong. But if a part has an M-badge it only means that it's an M-tech part.

But to be fair I don't know if my shifter is a special M-shifter or just a regular one with M-logo :p