Jalopnik has gone down the toilet ver. 3.0

No fan of Jalopnik myself (but still go there, starved as I am for daily car content) I have to post this as an example of them talking out of their ass.

Plenty of other sites to fill the void.

I've molested my own interior enough of this car, the previous 2-series, and the outgoing GLK to know, that all soft plastics are pliable and movable.... that's just what soft plastics do. To pull it away from the UConnect screen would take a LOT of force and clear intent. Here's a hint, you drooling mouth breather: don't fucking tear up the dash. That's like being surprised that leather seats tear after you've plunged a knife through them. Even the tightest built interior to the most exacting standards will "break" if you try hard enough.

QFT. Don't peel whats not supposed to be peeled. I can pull a Mercedes S-class overhead console out of the headliner with my bare fingers fairly easily, doesn't mean its cheaply built. Also are we seriously calling it "rubberized polymer"? How about we learn about materials before we try to sound smart.

Oh, and lack of genuine materials? Real leather for the door inserts and arm rests and seats, and real metal inserts for the gauge and central cluster surround, as well as for the bits around the shifter between driver and passenger.

I think Dodge/FCA makes a lot of crap, but this author wrote this from his mother's basement without having ever sat in one, or perhaps he thinks a 40-50k car should look the same inside as a 100k one. Here's a hint, genius: my own Boxster starts at 60k USD with a "rubbish" soft plastic touch interior (no leather, no metal, and it actually is worse than the Dodge offering for both touch and appearance) unless you throw ten grand of options at it.

Clearly people aren't bothered by the "lack of interior quality" on this $30-60k car.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/dodge-challenger-somehow-outsold.html

What a gaping arsehole.

:lol:

People talk about cars that clearly have a soft touch dashboard and go

"There's too much plastic here"

The fuck do you want?! You criticize when it's hard brittle shit plastic then it's soft touch and you still bitch?

Make up your mind.

People talk about cars that clearly have a soft touch dashboard and go

"There's too much plastic here"

The fuck do you want?! You criticize when it's hard brittle shit plastic then it's soft touch and you still bitch?

Make up your mind.

I expect leather wrapped carbon fiber and aluminum everywhere! I don't care if the it's a poverty spec Nissan Versa!

Reactions: TC
I think the underqualified "writer" of that piece expected whale penis leather covering every surface, possibly even his face.

No fan of Jalopnik myself (but still go there, starved as I am for daily car content) I have to post this as an example of them talking out of their ass.

http://jalopnik.com/somebody-please-step-up-and-complete-the-dodge-challeng-1796496071

1) I have never heard a single review bitch about the interior refresh of this car. Ever.

Now admittedly I have a bias in this, having only recently purchased my own Challenger. Having said that, I have been on record for years as saying the "new" interior (now three years old) was revelatory, and not just satisfactory, but actually punches above its weight for materials, fit, and finish.

I've molested my own interior enough of this car, the previous 2-series, and the outgoing GLK to know, that all soft plastics are pliable and movable.... that's just what soft plastics do. To pull it away from the UConnect screen would take a LOT of force and clear intent. Here's a hint, you drooling mouth breather: don't fucking tear up the dash. That's like being surprised that leather seats tear after you've plunged a knife through them. Even the tightest built interior to the most exacting standards will "break" if you try hard enough.

The article kvetches about the plastic swathed across the dashtop and lack of other "real" materials. Um, it's a big fucking car, Mojambo. Of course the dash top will be a large swath of plastic, you blithering idiot.... which by the way is completely soft touch and on par quality wise with what you find in BMW, Mercedes, or Audi at this price point.

Oh, and lack of genuine materials? Real leather for the door inserts and arm rests and seats, and real metal inserts for the gauge and central cluster surround, as well as for the bits around the shifter between driver and passenger.

I think Dodge/FCA makes a lot of crap, but this author wrote this from his mother's basement without having ever sat in one, or perhaps he thinks a 40-50k car should look the same inside as a 100k one. Here's a hint, genius: my own Boxster starts at 60k USD with a "rubbish" soft plastic touch interior (no leather, no metal, and it actually is worse than the Dodge offering for both touch and appearance) unless you throw ten grand of options at it.

What a gaping arsehole.

Thank you so much for being intelligent. I don't think you're biased simply because you've had other vehicles--especially the Porsche.

Jesus H Christ this dude is a fucking stupid douchebag. The 2015+ Challenger and 2011+ Charger interiors are pretty damn good quality and easily competes with the European stuff $10-20k more in price. There are only a couple of gripes I have and they are mostly down to the cloth seats (wish I had leather!) and fake chrome trim around the cup holders otherwise my interior is pretty damn good. The interior is half the reason why I bought my 2014 Charger and again with my 2016 Charger. I sat in a brand new Mustang GT when I was shopping last time before I bought my 2016 Charger and was disgusted at the interior quality. I would of paid ~$5,000 more for that Mustang and would be absolutely disappointed in the interior every time I drove it. The Camaro was even slightly worse not including the horrid rear visibility. Anything else on my list that had a good interior was tens of thousands more expensive than my 2016 R/T.

How can people now complain about soft-touch plastics now? Isn't that what Europe and the world has defined as a quality feel for decades? Sometimes I think humanity is doomed far sooner than we think... LOL

Last edited:
I'm surprised there hasn't been a Jalopnik post about this thread yet.

They just posted another "unreliable Alfa Romeo" article too (cross referenced from Pistonheads). I can't be arsed to check its veracity because I don't care either way, but I'm sure a certain FGer will go ape when he sees it. :lol:

They just posted another "unreliable Alfa Romeo" article too (cross referenced from Pistonheads). I can't be arsed to check its veracity because I don't care either way, but I'm sure a certain FGer will go ape when he sees it. :lol:

How can people now complain about soft-touch plastics now? Isn't that what Europe and the world has defined as a quality feel for decades?

Only for the people who decried the use of actual dead tree and dead animal. You know, the morons that decided that we needed to ban paper grocery bags because they were deforesting the earth, in favor of "more earth-friendly" plastic grocery bags... then decided we needed to ban plastic grocery bags because they were destroying the earth so we needed to go to "more earth-friendly" paper bags or to those wonderful disease spreading cloth bags (oooh, hope you like those multiple rounds of salmonella - which is why we went to disposable grocery bags in the first place!!). Welp, these people are the same ones that have been constantly pushing for more man-made materials in cars in the last 30 years.

Some of us know better.
161791-500-0@2x.jpg

1996-jaguar-xj6-interior-wallpaper-7.jpg

bentley-brooklands-2.jpg

ACTUAL metal, not chrome painted plastic. ACTUAL wood that looks like wood, not plastic or wood made to look like plastic. ACTUAL leather from dead animals, not the hides of naugas or what have you. ACTUAL carbon fiber where fitted, not appliques.

If you don't have these, bitching about one interior over another is really just arguing over what row you wish to place your deck chair in on the Titanic. Sure, some are better than others but in the end it really doesn't matter because you're not actually doing much of anything.

These car companies are almost all attempting to get a "quality interior" by using synthetic materials to mimic a real quality interior. It doesn't matter how good you get your soft touch plastics, your 'chrome' plastics, your 'would' or your 'leatherette' though - all it really means is that you're not quite so high in the leaderboards in the race to the bottom.

Or, put a more thematically correct way, crowing about how your particular brand has minutely 'better' feeling soft touch plastics versus a competitor and condemning the vehicle as a result is like saying, "Ooooh, my car brand gives me syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases! Yours only gives you gonorrhea!" It's stupid. And the idiot at Jalopnik that came up with this should be IMHO beaten with an Italian designer club studded with exquisitely crafted stainless steel nails complete with a Gucci leather wrapped grip.

Last edited:
Only for the people who decried the use of actual dead tree and dead animal. You know, the morons that decided that we needed to ban paper grocery bags because they were deforesting the earth, in favor of "more earth-friendly" plastic grocery bags... then decided we needed to ban plastic grocery bags because they were destroying the earth so we needed to go to "more earth-friendly" paper bags or to those wonderful disease spreading cloth bags (oooh, hope you like those multiple rounds of salmonella - which is why we went to disposable grocery bags in the first place!!). Welp, these people are the same ones that have been constantly pushing for more man-made materials in cars in the last 30 years.

Some of us know better.
161791-500-0@2x.jpg

bentley-brooklands-2.jpg

ACTUAL metal, not chrome painted plastic. ACTUAL wood that looks like wood, not plastic or wood made to look like plastic. ACTUAL leather from dead animals, not the hides of naugas or what have you. ACTUAL carbon fiber where fitted, not appliques.

If you don't have these, bitching about one interior over another is really just arguing over what row you wish to place your deck chair in on the Titanic. Sure, some are better than others but in the end it really doesn't matter because you're not actually doing much of anything.

These car companies are almost all attempting to get a "quality interior" by using synthetic materials to mimic a real quality interior. It doesn't matter how good you get your soft touch plastics, your 'chrome' plastics, your 'would' or your 'leatherette' though - all it really means is that you're not quite so high in the leaderboards in the race to the bottom.

Or, put a more thematically correct way, crowing about how your particular brand has minutely 'better' feeling soft touch plastics versus a competitor and condemning the vehicle as a result is like saying, "Ooooh, my car brand gives me syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases! Yours only gives you gonorrhea!" It's stupid. And the idiot at Jalopnik that came up with this should be IMHO beaten with an Italian designer club studded with exquisitely crafted stainless steel nails complete with a Gucci leather wrapped grip.

While I agree with this in its entirety I suppose I needed to preface my comment by stating that I wasn't referring to "luxury" cars. Clearly my $36k MSRP Charger would never have real wood, real leather on the dash/console, and certainly no real carbon fiber (thank god for that last one as I hate exposed unpainted CF) but it does feel pretty damn good in its price bracket. :D

P.S. That last picture of the Bentley is like orgasms. I love Bentley interiors...

Some of us know better.
161791-500-0@2x.jpg

bentley-brooklands-2.jpg

Let's be fair about this, though. You're comparing six figure Jaguars (adjusted for inflation) and Bentleys to cars costing less than fiddy large. Something's got to give there.

My Volvo has real wood on the dash, well... a thin strip of it, the rest is plastic. :p

The black line there, only my dash is dark blue, with a wood line.
1984-Volvo-240-Ute-Interior.jpg

My Volvo has real wood on the dash, well... a thin strip of it, the rest is plastic. :p

The black line there, only my dash is dark blue, with a wood line.
1984-Volvo-240-Ute-Interior.jpg

Why stop there? Just get a Morgan, it's made entirely out of wood!

I don't understand this bitching about quality of writing on websites where their only revenue are online advertising. For the last 10 years there was a clear race to the bottom, where companies try to pay the writing talent as less as they can for the same online traffic.
If you want quality writing and journalism these days, you, or at least somebody has to directly pay for it.

Last edited:
I don't understand this bitching about quality of writing on websites where their only revenue are online advertising. For the last 10 years there was a clear race to the bottom, where companies try to pay the writing talent as less as they can for the same online traffic.
If you want quality writing and journalism these days, you, or at least somebody has to directly pay for it.

This echos my thoughts as well. Ever since the internet was monetized and websites started taking away real estate for ads instead of content it was all downhill from there. I remember using a text editor to code my first HTML website in 1996 thinking the internet was awesome. Not more than 5 years later it was starting to be a cesspool of advertising and 10 years later it was in full force. So even if you have a paid subscription site you'll still have crummy content from moronic writers and ads everywhere. Money is just too important in this day and age. Sickening isn't it?

I noticed their articles were incredibly boring this past week and they were probably down on their click-quotas, so what better way to fix that than some garbage cross-post article about someone else's deceptive comparo-review?

FWIW, PistonHeads tried to suggest this was a production-level car but the internet cleverly looked up the registration plates and found out that the car used in the review was a pre-production test car with SW that is 3 versions old. Shame on PistonHeads for lying about something so stupid. That being said, whoever is responsible for providing this car for review is going to get a foot up their ass from the FCA marketing department.

Why would the software on the car not be updated to the latest level? Provided there are no major hardware changes, its normal practice to make sure the vehicle is as representative as possible when loaning it to the media, which includes flashing the latest calibrations.

Why would the software on the car not be updated to the latest level? Provided there are no major hardware changes, its normal practice to make sure the vehicle is as representative as possible when loaning it to the media, which includes flashing the latest calibrations.

I don't know, that has been my experience as well, sometimes there's even a "press/demo only" version of software. The whole thing is certainly odd because the issue has been well documented (throttle + braking inputs) and a fix has existed for some time now.