James (almost) going to the moon for new programme

have to say, that was so awesome...it eclipsed the first top gear show by a long shot.

i imagine that Cabi's pm log is probably going to explode now but i do want to chime in here and just say how great is to have you on board. You probably have one of the best jobs in the world and the U2 is a impressive and beautiful piece of machinery and what it is capable of accomplishing is breath-taking.
Its the sort of thing that almost makes me want to sign up with the RAF, if they were capable of this sort of thing. Its one of the few things that makes me so jealous and envious of what you and your USAF are capable of.
Also i had to ask, i noticed that you were wearing glasses under your helmet. surely thats got to be a bit uncomfortable and i thought that pilots needed to have perfect vision. I mean it may be nothing but it is something that stood out to me while watching the program last night.
Great seeing you on board Cabi and welcome to Final Gear.

Great show, but

Poor James in the sentrifuge :p

Attachments

• snapshot20090623014831.jpg
    snapshot20090623014831.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 82
Alan Bean, Charlie Duke, AND Harisson Schmitt? Really? I am SO off to torrent. I can only imagine the level of geekiness that must have evolved between May and that crowd. ::sigh:: I want to be James May. The pictures of him outside the VAB are enough to make me green around the edges.

i imagine that Cabi's pm log is probably going to explode now but i do want to chime in here and just say how great is to have you on board. You probably have one of the best jobs in the world and the U2 is a impressive and beautiful piece of machinery and what it is capable of accomplishing is breath-taking.
Its the sort of thing that almost makes me want to sign up with the RAF, if they were capable of this sort of thing. Its one of the few things that makes me so jealous and envious of what you and your USAF are capable of.
Also i had to ask, i noticed that you were wearing glasses under your helmet. surely thats got to be a bit uncomfortable and i thought that pilots needed to have perfect vision. I mean it may be nothing but it is something that stood out to me while watching the program last night.
Great seeing you on board Cabi and welcome to Final Gear.

James: "At 46 (yrs old), I'm too old, too unfit, and frankly too long haired to know what it would be like to be an Astronaut..."

The reality is I am 6 months older than James, and my eyesight now reflects it...ergo the glasses. The glasses actually velcro to the helmet and are suspended over my face and never touch me at all. They are a bit bothersome having to look through them, but, what the hay!

A pilot candidate needs to have 20/20 vision to get into flight school, but once the USAF have spent multi-millions of $$$ training you, the investment in the glasses are puny compared to the investment in the pilot.

Cabi~
ps...that's Lt Colonel D.S. "Meat" Broce in the middle - our mobile officer.

Attachments

• DSC_1530.JPG
    DSC_1530.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 90
Great show, but

Poor James in the sentrifuge :p

Centerfuge.

I have a video of myselft at 9 Gs and I look exactly like my dad when he was 70yrs old. That pic of James is what he will look like in his 70s too! Gravity always wins.

Cabi~

Cabi this may not be the most difficult question you've ever answered, but here goes...

How does the straw work? I was watching it and thinking, that's gonna depressurise the helmet?

Flapper valve opens and shuts when the straw is inserted & removed. Same with the Tube Food.

Cabi~

So are you saying that it's gravity that's the cause of aging? Maybe we should all escape this sinister force and live eternally among the stars!

Cabi, congratulations, you've got an awesome job! The U-2 is an incredible plane and the way you took off dropped my jaw(I guess that huge wing is the reason for that). And the view from up there was just stunning, it left my eyes wet for God's sake! Wish I was there instead of James(to be a military pilot is still my dream).

Normal "Launch" for that training (fuel) weight is 35-40 deg nose high after a 500 ft takeoff roll. Brakes released to 60,000' in 20 minutes (no re-heat/afterburners).

Cabi~

So are you saying that it's gravity that's the cause of aging? Maybe we should all escape this sinister force and live eternally among the stars!

well, actually, your skull stops growing, but not your face - especially your nose & ears. All the excess skin (when you're aged) gets pulled down by gravity and you look like James at 5 Gs.

Gravity always wins!

Cabi~

I've just finished watching it and I have to say that that was the greatest show James May was ever done! And also that I have massive respect for you, Cabbi, and what you do.

Then your bones age instead!

Is this only in one part or will there be more episodes...

The torrent on EZTV is named "James May On The Moon Part 1 DOCU WS PDTV XviD-W4F"...

Is this only in one part or will there be more episodes...

The torrent on EZTV is named "James May On The Moon Part 1 DOCU WS PDTV XviD-W4F"...

Two programmes - James May on the Moon & At the edge of Space. DVD will have extras.

Cabi~

Cabi, thanks for your answers. It looks almost like MiG-29 when it takes off, but all this is without afterburner! If it is no secret or anything - how long have you been flying the U-2?

Cabi, thanks for your answers. It looks almost like MiG-29 when it takes off, but all this is without afterburner! If it is no secret or anything - how long have you been flying the U-2?

I'd rather not say, but I do hold a record back at our base.

Cabi~

I just watched and show and I was so amazed by the info that was given to me and also how he just tells it so entertainingly and with intrigue.