• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

James May and his music degree...

Heheh thanks for trimming that bit of audio off last nites ep. Its funny cos its really bad :lol:
 
Re: James May and his music degree...

KryptonZone said:
Well... this is what James and his music degree got him... Farts...

Top Gear Theme


Well now you see why he didn't go in to the music biz after uni :p

Serously, he did mess it up. An ex-boyfriend of mine had a keyboard that would have done a better job. If you sampled a sound in it would the convert that sound to the keys so when you pressed them you had that sound in that note. So then you could play anything using any sound. Some sounds worked better than others, but I would think it could produce a better sounding version of the theme. Oh well.

I wonder sometimes if they do these things deleberatly. So it's funny. Rather than doing something perfect and then just say "look how smart we are".
 
Did you miss the bit on the show where James took the tapes to the studio and they matched the engine notes to the notes on a keyboard? :unsure:
 
Maybe mum was right when she said to me very sternly: "You will NOT study music! It will not get you anywhere and you will die a poor man..." :whistle:

You bet I'm never going to show her this episode, or she'd say: "Look, see, how right I am? James May has a degree in music and he can't do f*ck all." :no:
 
KryptonZone said:
Maybe mum was right when she said to me very sternly: "You will NOT study music! It will not get you anywhere and you will die a poor man..." :whistle:

You bet I'm never going to show her this episode, or she'd say: "Look, see, how right I am? James May has a degree in music and he can't do f*ck all." :no:

Ah, but then you could say "But Mum, he's just bought a Boxster" (don't mention the bit about him being 40,000 pounds short...)
 
Yes! Yes! Thank you sooooo much! I finally got an argument in favour of music! Yes! I can use this against my mum if she goes on about it again! This is brilliant! He did music in uni, buys a Boxter (*cough*...what price? *cough* never heard of a car with a price tag *cough*) and drives the ENZO! :woot: :woot: :woot:
 
Electrastar~Indochine said:
Did you miss the bit on the show where James took the tapes to the studio and they matched the engine notes to the notes on a keyboard? :unsure:

The keyboard I'm talking about would have only used one engine sound,
so that would have sounded better, it was the mix of different engine sounds that made it a cacophony.

But then, it wouldn't have made such a good film, if all we saw was James taping one car, then putting that into a keyboard then pressing a few buttons and playing the tune. It would have lasted about 1 min and not featured as many cars.

It would have been interesting to see how Richard or Jeremy would have done it. Perhaps, they should have made it a challenge.

Don't get me wrong, I like James, he's fantastic on Top Gear and I could listern to him talk for hours. And he did do it CORRECTLY, but then as JC said it might have been better to have used more recording studio tricks to have made it sound more commercial. It might not have been as accurate and would have lacked integrity, but it would have sounded less like farting.
 
KryptonZone said:
He did music in uni, buys a Boxter

So, Jeremy never even went to uni and Bernie Ecclestone left school at 16 and went to work at his local gasworks, before becoming a billionarie from F1 .
 
I've been a music "hobbyist" for many years, and I'm just astonished that all the notes were pitched correctly. That's about as much as one can expect from an engine orchestra. =) I think that if he fiddled with the individual samples to make them closer in terms of volume and timbre, it would have sounded a lot better- but he's a purist!

It's too bad I don't have enough talent, but I'm tempted to remix the Top Gear theme...
 
Top Gear Girl said:
KryptonZone said:
He did music in uni, buys a Boxter

So, Jeremy never even went to uni and Bernie Ecclestone left school at 16 and went to work at his local gasworks, before becoming a billionarie from F1 .

erm

Bernie was a Car salesman / Part time racer. And all round business man! If you are interested try reading the un-authorised Autobiograghy of him. Basically he took F1 simply by being smarter than everyone around him :lol:
 
3Colin said:
I've been a music "hobbyist" for many years, and I'm just astonished that all the notes were pitched correctly. That's about as much as one can expect from an engine orchestra. =) I think that if he fiddled with the individual samples to make them closer in terms of volume and timbre, it would have sounded a lot better- but he's a purist!

It's too bad I don't have enough talent, but I'm tempted to remix the Top Gear theme...

I agree...I've been playing the piano and the guitar for more than half of my life, I've done studio recording and stuff like that, and I thought it was amazing what he did with ORIGINAL engine noise.
 
Ah yes, but TopGearGirl you may scoff but you're missing the point. The idea of it wasn't to put the sounds in a keyboard as a sample and play the notes verbatim. That's far to easy and any schmo could do it.

James picked the particular part of each engine's rev range which he thought was closest to each note required, hence the noise that ensued (and I think the noise of that Bugatti is bloody wonderful, farts indeed).

It's easy enough just to sample sounds and play them back to the precise notation. This was a bit smarter than that and I think all the more entertaining for it too :)
 
moo said:
James picked the particular part of each engine's rev range which he thought was closest to each note required, hence the noise that ensued

Well yes it was, but it justs sounds out of tune and rubbish, even if its not out of tune.
 
Top Gear Girl said:
moo said:
James picked the particular part of each engine's rev range which he thought was closest to each note required, hence the noise that ensued

Well yes it was, but it justs sounds out of tune and rubbish, even if its not out of tune. It would have been better to have done it with car horns.

But at least he tried it! Maybe he can do horns next series :lol:
 
Top