James May in Finland

Roughly translated:

Mika H?kkinen presents Finland in British show

Mika H?kkinen will visit Top Gear -car program, said Ilta-Sanomat (a newspaper, bit like the Sun). H?kkinen filmed the British car show in Finland on Sunday and Monday. At an episode airing next year the formula champion is seen driving in H?meenlinna and Ahvenisto. According to Ilta-Sanomat, H?kkinen drived with 457 hp Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG presenting Finnish landscape.

Too bad it is coming out in 2009. Series 13, maybe?

edit XCVIII: or late in 12th series.

Last edited:
That's fantastic! :thumbsup:

I've actually been waiting for something like this, because I don't remember them ever even mentioning Finland or finns. Except a couple of jokes involving Kimi R?ikk?nen of course.

Anyway, can't wait to see that bit on TG! And I think James is the right presenter to do this. :)

Great! Can't wait to see that episode. Many of us finns are exited when a popular, foreign show visits our country. Just like Conan O'Brien did back in 2006 (but now it's even better with TG and James May). And the reason, why we like it is that our country is small, far-away place that many people don't know.

Sounds great. Thanks for posting. I wonder why they sent James to do this. Sounds more like a Richard kind of subject to me with the racing and the dirt track. :p

And do you think James (and the other two) are allowed to keep the vast amount of airmiles they must be collecting? ;)

Probably sent May because he hasn't done much testing in recent series and he would be the funniest trying to rally drive.

One thing I have noticed from several visits to Finland is that in a department store in America, England, Australia etc, the sports section has tennis rackets, skateboards, basketballs, dartboards etc.

In Finland it's just guns and gokarts. I always assumed that's why there are so many flying Finns.

Edit; I also think the reason Australia produces comparitively so many Motorbike champions is because everyone learns to ride a motorbike on a farm when they're about 6 years old down under.

In Finland it's just guns and gokarts. I always assumed that's why there are so many flying Finns.

Not sure which Finland you've visited, but the one I live in has guns in gun shops that are few and far apart and I've never seen a go-kart in a department store.

Oh well, yay for May's visit all the same. :)

The article mentions that it was indeed for Top Gear
("Kaikkien aikojen suosituimman autoiluohjelman Top Gear?n tekij?t tiet?v?t nyt, miksi maailman nopeimmat ja parhaimmat ralli- ja ratakuljettajat tulevat Suomesta.")

Not going to bother translating, but it says Top Gear, and that's good enough for me.

Let me help you one that one :)

"All-time most popular motoring program Top Gear'n authors now know why the world's fastest and best rally-orbit and the drivers come from Finland"

is what it says

( i dont know finnish but the mighty google translator tool DOES! :))

Let me help you one that one :)

"All-time most popular motoring program Top Gear'n authors now know why the world's fastest and best rally-orbit and the drivers come from Finland"

is what it says

( i dont know finnish but the mighty google translator tool DOES! :))

Google translator really is the work of gods.

("Rally-orbit"?? Seriously, Wtf?!):lol::lol:

Track, circuit and orbit are the same word in finnish. (rata, technically orbit is kiertorata, but anyway) So it says "best rally and track driver".

Google translate just mixes ratas

edit: vittuako min? sit? sulle selit?n. Noh olkoot. (just realised, Posmo is also finnish :lol:, oh well.)

Oh NO !!!
James May was in Finland and didnt see him :cry:
I think my life is ruined now..
:cry::cry:

I have been waiting for something like this. I mean they been to Norway and even Sweden (or atleast they have gone through Sweden to get to Norway :mrgreen: ) but not Finland. Not until now. :cool: