James May in Second Life

SecondLife2007-09-1322-43-49-88.jpg

SecondLife2007-09-1323-04-29-10.jpg

SecondLife2007-09-1321-34-49-50.jpg

Couldn't get any closer / forgot how to zoom.

that game looks f'ing terrible....

Remember Second Life is less of a game and more of a multiplayer sandbox.

sandbox?!?!?

edit: ahh I get it, its more like a MMO of "garys mod" for half-life 2 then it is a roll-playing game. In that sense i think people who play 2nd Life are probably much more intellectual then WoW gamers. And that WoW is full of escapist bullshit for people who have failed in life and can only resolve their personal issues by pretending that their elves.

Last edited:
sandbox?!?!?

yeah a sandbox. You have never heard anyone call a system or environment that promotes individual creation a sandbox? I think it comes from the idea that you can make anything you want in a sandbox.

EDIT: Yeah you got it. Only remember there is no story or even game really. honestly the wiki article does a pretty good job of explaining it

Last edited:
lol that character doesnt resemble him at all

I just heard about this. PM'ing dj.TAKA for permission to use the photos for coverage in the independent Metaverse Messenger (http://metaversemessenger.com).

FYI -- Drake Bacon in 2nd Life. I write the Second Penguins column in the M2 "paper".

There is one reason why the graphics are rather crappy -- SL is hard on video cards. WoW may get 60 fps, but SL will get roughly 20-30 on the same card. It is highly dependent on what hardware and software you have.

For example:
Custom AMD X2 (65nm) 3400+, 2 Gig RAM, Gentoo Linux amd64, NVidia GeForce 7600GS PCIe w/latest drivers: 30 fps on average
Dell Inspiron E1505 (Core Duo 1.6GHz, 1 gig RAM, Gentoo x86, NVidia GeForce Go 7300 PCIe): 25 fps on avg
Mac Mini (Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 1 gig RAM, Intel GMA 950, MacOS X Tiger): 8 fps on avg

I hear that Windows XP is 10 fps slower, and AMD ATI cards on Linux before the latest (8.41) driver are consistantly slow and suffers from heavy "rotational lag" -- if you're driving a 911 and turn left, your view of the windshield freezes for five seconds before it takes another shot, and freezes again... until you stop turning. Nasty.

Add onto that the possiblity of each small 256mx256m area being packed with 100+ people (handled by one computer or "sim") and you'll see, SL really stresses out a video card.

So yeah, heavy load means sucky pics.

Well im on a laptop with a integrated graphics card running vista = crap.

It crashed twice at the start, which was a pain, but I managed to get there in the 2nd half and pop in the important q's 8)

Bugger about the video on sky news disappearing :blink:

Second(simple) life is just a game for the masses, the non-informed, non-nerds. They dont know better and neither does anybody who promotes it. Its only buisness sense to sell to these people.

Translation: Furries and Nerds.

Anyway, that streaming news thing failed (am i really supposed to watch for an hour to wait for it to recycle to the story i want?)

Can someone just post a short Q and A from memory?

sandbox?!?!?

edit: ahh I get it, its more like a MMO of "garys mod" for half-life 2 then it is a roll-playing game. In that sense i think people who play WoW are probably much more intellectual then 2nd lifers. And that 2nd Life is full of escapist bullshit for people who have failed in life and can only resolve their personal issues by pretending that they're anthromorphic cats, foxes, etc. and having sex on a custom built island in 2nd Life that is a poor recreation of WoW, so they can pretend they are playing WoW while "playing" 2nd Life.

Fixed for you. 2nd Life is like "Facebook: The Game", only replace all the emo-kids with furries, and the furries with diaper-fetish furries.

At least in WoW there are objectives, and "a point", and you can play the game and still have a life. Unless your sole purpose is to grief other players (ala SA's "Second Life Safari"), it is assumed that by playing Second Life, you have no first life. And you're a furry.

Fixed for you. 2nd Life is like "Facebook: The Game", only replace all the emo-kids with furries, and the furries with diaper-fetish furries.

At least in WoW there are objectives, and "a point", and you can play the game and still have a life. Unless your sole purpose is to grief other players (ala SA's "Second Life Safari"), it is assumed that by playing Second Life, you have no first life. And you're a furry.

Fucking truth. SL is the only "Game" where the griefers are more entertaining than the actual game.

sandbox?!?!?

edit: ahh I get it, its more like a MMO of "garys mod" for half-life 2 then it is a roll-playing game. In that sense i think people who play 2nd Life are probably much more intellectual then WoW gamers. And that WoW is full of escapist bullshit for people who have failed in life and can only resolve their personal issues by pretending that their elves.

Hahahahaha...I second that.

Post a comment here or contact the website to get the vid' back