James May?s Toy Stories - Action Man

jack_christie

Forum Addict
James May?s Toy Stories

In perhaps the most challenging Toy Stories so far, James attempts to rehabilitate one of Britain?s most derided toys by seeing if it?s possible for Action Man to do what no toy has ever managed - and travel faster than the speed of sound.

For decades, Action Man, despite his name, has been a disappointment. He promised so much with his eagle eyes, his gripping hands and his natty outfits. But what has he ever achieved? Nothing...yet.

After half a century lazing around the back of the toy cupboard, he must prove that he has The Right Stuff, redeem his shattered reputation and boldly go where no Toy has gone before.

The challenge is daunting. Breaking the sound barrier and returning Action Man safely to the earth will test James and the team to the limit.

In an action-packed series of attempts, James battles high speed physics, unforeseen explosions and catastrophic design setbacks (which account for a large number of Action Man volunteers) before settling on an experimental supersonic vehicle made entirely from scratch - a vehicle that threatens to send Action Man and the team into oblivion.

In a gripping final act, Action Man must not only succeed and survive intact, but go faster and higher than a rival supersonic attempt led by his arch nemesis: Sindy.

Will Action Man redeem himself? Will he survive Mach 1? Or will he lose out to a doll?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/xmas14/bbc-two

It's a cracker (no pun intended) and I expect you will all enjoy it.

Right, time to pour the first gluhwein of the evening and flick over to BBC1 for Doctor Who. :cheers:

It was really good, one of the best Toy Stories IMO.

the whole action man thing somehow threw me off, but the fact that james may very quickly established that everyone hates action man makes this ok i guess :p so yeah, watching now... its even available in HD already via iplayer, consider me impressed.

halfway through: i am incredibly amused. ehehehehe

Last edited:
The Sindy lot annoyed me.
Trying to steal his thunder, i'm glad you didn't find her in time.

Yep, started off thinking it would be all over quite quickly, then some drama out of nowhere, and well let's not spoil the ending, but enjoyed the show regardless.

Approving nod to the use of Toy Story movie music + references in bits and pieces of the show.

10/10

Loved it. This had the one thing these Toy Stories shows had been missing; wanton destruction. James and the gang did all the things boys do, or would have done had they the resources, to their action figures. I always knew that if anyone could find a way to make mocking your sister's toys and playing with fire, explosives and melting plastic into family TV it would be this lot.

OK, good show. now bring on Top Gear.

(James would have made a very good teacher.)

10/10

Loved it. This had the one thing these Toy Stories shows had been missing; wanton destruction. James and the gang did all the things boys do, or would have done had they the resources, to their action figures. I always knew that if anyone could find a way to make mocking your sister's toys and playing with fire, explosives and melting plastic into family TV it would be this lot.

Yes, but it wasn't destruction for destruction like in recent Top Gear, it was clever and had its place (I'd suggest crash tests for comparison). :)

10/10 from me too, I forgot to note.

James was prolly quite keen to use an absurd amount of aerospace references in one show. :james:

Rocket equation on van could have been explained, but they've always gotta trim something.

Last edited: