James May: The Reassembler

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
I think the shaky camera work was because of the small girl with the shoulder cam.
Of course, the bloke with the shoulder cam could not be at fault.

TopGearNorthAmerica

Car(s)
2007 Honda Civic LX Coupe
We need reaction videos from Clarkson and Hammond, watching this show. :lol:
I think you mean reaction tweets from JC and RH mocking Captain Slow for making a show about slow.

Mind you, 700,000 viewers is pretty good for what was essentially a hobby show on a cable specialty channel, which is what BBC4 essentially is.

skylock

Car(s)
Honda Civic
I liked the telephone one a lot better.

skylock

Car(s)
Honda Civic

She was a small girl, the camera is heavy, and the shoot went for a long time. Yeah, the man could have gotten tired too, but what does common sense tell you?

RedMoon

Programme website: http://bbc.in/1V6VJZC James May carefully reassembles an old telephone from 211 pieces whilst reminiscing about mid twentieth century illnesses.

[video=youtube;CleGcQjY-SI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CleGcQjY-SI[/video]

James May is deep into the reassembling of a classic electric guitar - here James explains what makes his guitar electric and not acoustic as he explains how the pickups work.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
I think the guitar was the weakest of the three because I don't find guitars as interesting but still a good show. Personally I'd like to see more. :)

skylock

Car(s)
Honda Civic
I haven't seen the last one yet, but I tell you what it has done. It has made me want to see the boys together again all the more.

I would like to see more. What is not to like watching James May explain something. For me, he has Like a calming effect somehow.

Wing Nut

Car(s)
BMW 330Ci, Discovery Sport L550 and Mercedes ML320
His little asides to the crew and reminisces of childhood encounters with the tech of the era are often more interesting than the actual project at times. He does indeed have a calming effect and I'll try to imagine he's looking over my shoulder next time a tiny spring flies from my finger tips and vanishes in a quantum-like manner :|

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
DONOR
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
She was a small girl, the camera is heavy, and the shoot went for a long time. Yeah, the man could have gotten tired too, but what does common sense tell you?
10 years in the film industry tell me that you don't make it to camera operator for a mainstream format, no matter how small, if you can't do your job properly. Competition is much too hard for that.

Cowboy

My name is Sheridan
His little asides to the crew and reminisces of childhood encounters with the tech of the era are often more interesting than the actual project at times. He does indeed have a calming effect and I'll try to imagine he's looking over my shoulder next time a tiny spring flies from my finger tips and vanishes in a quantum-like manner :|
If James had not ended up in television, I imagine him ending up a kindly old professor/school teacher, trying to get his students to see the charm in bygone things from a bygone era.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
I seem to recall he said he had considered teaching, and might do again after Steakgate.

TopGearNorthAmerica

Car(s)
I liked the telephone one a lot better.
I liked it better than the lawnmower one. Could be because I'm into steampunk/dieselpunk and I find this technology to be more fascinating. (Mind you I think he needed a bigger tablecloth for his workbench, so that people could see the little bits better.)

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
If this was hosted by anyone else I would never watch it.
James makes everything interesting.

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
I thoroughly enjoyed that. James progammes can be weird but so good. I wish there were more Toy Stories for instance. As a car lover but not a car nut, I think I've even learned some things about engines seeing him assemble one...

THGL

Car(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited
This is reminds me somewhat of an old BBC show, Connections. I loved that show.

I wonder if there are torrents out there...

peta303

Car(s)
2002 ?koda Fabia estate, 2009 Roomster
Very, very relaxing and enjoyable.

Next time I'd like to see James reassembling that "ikea-golf" from the famous photo.

D-Fence

Mrs. IceBone
Car(s)
John Pooper Works
In the telephone one you can see it being shaky, then her leaning forward with elbows on table and it stabilises. However, no blame here, long shooting time, camera on shoulder, zoomed in which makes it worse. Probably happened to camera bloke too.

TopGearNorthAmerica

Car(s)
Here's the thing:

1. I don't believe the boys' deal with Amazon is exclusive; they could probably do non-car projects with the BBC (Clarkson could do some more military history docs and the panel show circuit, for example). And the fact that the executive who gave JC the most grief is gone (bye-bye Mr. Cohen) means the door for a return is wider.

2. The Reassembler show has got to be the most cost-effective production that BBC4 can do: a space for a parts layout and work area, 3 cameras, a sound man, a director and an editor, and the bravery to find a used electronic or mechanical appliance to be taken apart for reassembly. This equals cheapness at a time when BBC budgets are going to be stretched to their limits.

3. Prediction: BBC4 *will* probably order a second series.