James May threatens to leave Top Gear!

accumulate wealth?! we are petrol heads....we get an alpha 166 and live in a tunnel :D But on a more serious note doesn't Hammond have a bunch of motorcycles and like 5 cars including a Morgan and a 911?

I believe he sold the 911 to buy a charger, and recently ordered a new 997 911, or was it a Boxster? No, wait, May ordered a Boxster.

Holy crap Hammond and Clarkson make 1,000,000 pounds? Just for power sliding around a track and yelling "power". I wish I had a job like that...

i think in the 1st ep series 8 when they're building d convertible ppl carrier...u can see a boxster in d background...maybe tat belongs to may

I think he'd like it more if we got him a sort of moped with a card.

Something REALLY old he can get his fingers dirty with.

well I'm not sure I'm going to believe one of these tabloids, if it was in the times or something I probaply would've believed it. Maybe it's true but 40k a year, 100k with his other show (that must be impossible 60k for a few episode driving round France!) and probaply 50k for his books columns etc. wouldn't buy a Porsche, a Panda, + running them + an old Bentley and a big garage in the middle of London, that would cost quite a bit more!

Jeremy has a SLK55 AMG, Ford GT, Volvo XC90 and a couple of other cars.. I know his wife has a baby Aston. I remember reading about it somewhere in one of his articles

Richard has his Morgan, Dodge Charger, Defender, 911 (Old one, not sure if he still has it) and others

Checked Wikipedia don't know how accurate it is I do know he has a Boxter, Panda and 911 for sure but somethings better then nothing apparently he owns a Bentley T2, a Jaguar XJS, a Range Rover, a Mini Cooper (which he bought off Ebay on advice from Top Gear colleague Richard Hammond), a Fiat Panda (which he traded his Range Rover in for), a Porsche 911, a Porsche Boxster S, and several motorbikes.

if you think about it this way, the amount of money that topgear spends on cars and tests and renting out various things, their production values are huuuuge. May's 35k is pathetic compared to something like renting a jet to do the speed tests, its bs that he gets paid such beans in comparison to the tests that they run per episode

Jeremy has a SLK55 AMG, Ford GT, Volvo XC90 and a couple of other cars.. I know his wife has a baby Aston. I remember reading about it somewhere in one of his articles

Richard has his Morgan, Dodge Charger, Defender, 911 (Old one, not sure if he still has it) and others

Hammond said in an interview that he bought a 997 Carrera S, also Clarkson has ordered a Gallardo Spyder. Not sure if Clarkson got rid of the GT, but I wouldn't blame him considering how many problems he's had with it.

Clarkson probably keeps the GT. It's like Alfa Romeos. They're unreliable, BUT WHO CARES? He can drive around in a blue Ford with white stripes that's a mile long, a quarter mile wide, goes like stink, handles like a dream, SO WHAT if it's a bit unreliable! :p

Why do people keep Alfa Romeos? Because it makes them feel like they're in driving nirvana, if you wan't reliablity for the same prize, just buy a really old Toyota Avensis. Will be reliable as hell, but.. eh?

Last edited:
Clarkson probably keeps the GT. It's like Alfa Romeos. They're unreliable, BUT WHO CARES? He can drive around in a blue Ford with white stripes that's a mile long, a quarter mile wide, goes like stink, handles like a dream, SO WHAT if it's a bit unreliable! :p

Why do people keep Alfa Romeos? Because it makes them feel like they're in driving nirvana, if you wan't reliablity for the same prize, just buy a really old Toyota Avensis. Will be reliable as hell, but.. eh?

yeah its a little unreliable except he said that he has never finished a two way journey in it, not exactly "a bit unreliable", more like "a tiny bit reliable." I also remember it being said that he shipped it away to ford for good, though it is unclear as to whether they sent in a new one or fully fixed the old one (not a simple dealer fix)

There wasn't anything wrong with the GT, per se, it was the electronic shite they added on in England that went wrong. I swear they must have put Lucas equipment in it.

There wasn't anything wrong with the GT, per se, it was the electronic shite they added on in England that went wrong. I swear they must have put Lucas equipment in it.

I think it was the tracking stuff that you must have for the insurance. I know someone who has had similar problems with tracking systems.

yes that was both tracking system and ignition key system. All electronic stuff that doesn't have anything to do with the car in itself apparently ;)

I like the ol' chap, I hope TG crew can persuade him to stay. We need capt. slow to stay on the show! :lol:

Without May, Hammond and Clarkson will go bonkers. It is almost like May is the great wise equalizer. I love his commentary as much as the other two. If they do let him go they need to grab Tom from Fifth Gear.

Who can forget "Eggs come from the milkman"? :p

the pay of people employed by the bbc is not secret, because they are paid with our money, under the freedom of information act they have to reveal what they pay everyone, hence why stars pay such as jonathan ross is always in the news.

fair enough, i was only thinking of the tv show, not all their other work. And also comparing the bbc to our abc which is too tight to pay anyone big $$$ :D We don't have a tv tax to fund it, just regular tax which can be messed around with by govts whenever they need to look fiscally ruthless. If May really is getting that much less than the other two he must be a bit miffed after all the series he's done. Especially every time they've hassled him about having a Boxster. Mebe that's why he's suddenly doing docos about sharks hehe