James May's Cars of the People: Music Identification Thread

I'm sure it's the Alan Parsons Project, but I'm not sure which tune. I thought it was 'Where do we go from here', which would be appropriate to that part of the video, however I can't find a perfect match in it - just a bit similar. I haven't got enough albums handy ... got a lot, but not the right one :|

Can someone help ID the song from episode 3, just after introducing the hydrogen fuel cell car, the Hyundai ix35, and after James says that it always takes a few rich people to buy something expensive then the price comes down and it becomes a car of the people. The song starts then from 48:20 - 48:32. I tried watching back again on iplayer with subtitles on but it doesn't show the music playing!

Can someone help ID the song from episode 3, just after introducing the hydrogen fuel cell car, the Hyundai ix35, and after James says that it always takes a few rich people to buy something expensive then the price comes down and it becomes a car of the people. The song starts then from 48:20 - 48:32. I tried watching back again on iplayer with subtitles on but it doesn't show the music playing!
I downloaded the Shazam app mentioned earlier in the thread and it identified the song as Sabres of Paradise - Smokebelch II (Beatless mix), just in case anyone else is wondering.

I downloaded the Shazam app mentioned earlier in the thread
There's also Soundhound which might behave in a less intrusive manner than Shazam. Shazam has become more and more pushy as the years/versions go by, shoving more and more 'features' at you that you don't want. The main problem when using these apps to ID tunes in TV documentaries is that the narration is usually superimposed over most of the music track, and Shazam/Soundhound require at least a few clear seconds of music before they can ID it. And often longer for less popular tracks.

At 23:15 of Season 2 Episode 1, after the "Don't be fuelish" commercial and talking about the mustang. Not enough quiet parts for Shazam to figure it out.

I am halfway watching episode 3 and I am delighted!

Please Clarkson, Hammond and May... The "new Top Gear" will have 5 347 presenters, so feel free to sneak in Jay Leno's garage (Ali baba's cavern) whenever you like and use him has the forth musqueteer, I guess everyone will be happy, well... I am! :)

I'm sure it's the Alan Parsons Project, but I'm not sure which tune. I thought it was 'Where do we go from here', which would be appropriate to that part of the video, however I can't find a perfect match in it - just a bit similar. I haven't got enough albums handy ... got a lot, but not the right one :|

Spot on - it was Sirius by Alan Parsons Project. Big thanks to you for your help - been wanting this for a while as have heard it on other BBC programs.

Well there's two of us happy now - it seems I don't have that Alan Parsons' tune, and I thought I did, so I better remedy the problem :cool:

I'm interested in the one just after this - it sounds like it is from the 1970s and has the tune B5B5B5B5-A5-B5B5-C5C5-B5B5B5-A5-G4G4G4-E4E4E4E4 roughly with that spacing (tried on http://www.musictheory.net/piano). Repeats twice, followed by G4G4G4G4-E4-B4-B4B4B4B4-C4-B4B4-E4E4-G4#G4#-A5A5-B5B5 repeating twice then C4C4C4C4-D4-C4-A4-B4B4B4B4. Starts just at the end of the Sinclair C5 sequence on into the Hyundai one, starting at 48:33 in my off-air recording.

At 23:15 of Season 2 Episode 1, after the "Don't be fuelish" commercial and talking about the mustang. Not enough quiet parts for Shazam to figure it out.

It's Short Change Hero by The Heavy. It was used as the theme to Strike Back on Sky.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in the one just after this - it sounds like it is from the 1970s and has the tune B5B5B5B5-A5-B5B5-C5C5-B5B5B5-A5-G4G4G4-E4E4E4E4 roughly with that spacing (tried on http://www.musictheory.net/piano). Repeats twice, followed by G4G4G4G4-E4-B4-B4B4B4B4-C4-B4B4-E4E4-G4#G4#-A5A5-B5B5 repeating twice then C4C4C4C4-D4-C4-A4-B4B4B4B4. Starts just at the end of the Sinclair C5 sequence on into the Hyundai one, starting at 48:33 in my off-air recording.

It's Magic Fly by Space. UK number two from 1977.

Last edited:
s2 ep1 mazda 323 - AKB48 - Aitakatta
s2 ep3 volvo - First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining

Hi all. Season 3 E3, right after James takes the ride in the Audi RS 7, he rolls down the windows and says that he wasn't scared in the slightest - then there's a few bars of something that I remember from my childhood.

Hi all. Season 3 E3, right after James takes the ride in the Audi RS 7, he rolls down the windows and says that he wasn't scared in the slightest - then there's a few bars of something that I remember from my childhood.

Presume you meant Season 2 Ep.3. It sounds like something by Rick Wakeman.

Presume you meant Season 2 Ep.3. It sounds like something by Rick Wakeman.
Close. Initially it had me thinking something by Alan Parsons, but I was about to give up on him and check out Rick Wakeman. Then I scrubbed through to about 1/3rd the way into Alan Parson's 'I Robot' and found it :music:

You nailed it, Wing Nut! Thanks a million! I wonder why they didn't use "I Robot" in the movie "I Robot"?

does anyone know the glam rock sounding music that plays while James is in the C5 around milton keynes (S2E3 i think).

S1E2 Honda Super Cub 44:15 - 45:30 = Soundtrack from game Generals (China theme) by Bill Brown & Mikael Sandgren.

Could You help me to find the name of the track in Season 2 Episode 3 when he starts driving Audi RS7? It starts at 51:47