James May's Man Lab

Mmm, I'm still not sold on it...the layout and general premise just seems a bit chaotic and hard to follow at times.

Mmm, I'm still not sold on it...the layout and general premise just seems a bit chaotic and hard to follow at times.

ADD?

anybody have the link for episode 2 ?

I just downloaded and watched ep 1 and really liked, it was a bit crammed but still pretty interesting and a bit inspiring, I just moved to a new place and want to do lot of stuff like that. not the train set mind you

...I just downloaded and watched ep 1

Not trying to single you out dude, cause I do the exact same thing, but...

BBC!? Are you guys listening yet?

Why do you guys still never offer this stuff to us in exchange for money? I mean...really?

Christmas is coming up...with the launch of Top Gear USA, and the media coverage of this series...this would be a great gift for us folks in the States and countries other than the UK.

Amazon on Demand now (finally!) has most of the recent seasons of Top Gear in SD and HD available for viewing by episode or by season. In exchange for a very fair price, I may add.

But even with that, all of the James May DVD's that I can find are still Region 2, and wont play in any of my regular DVD players. I could of course 'hack' my DVD players, but even then, there's no guarantee.

So, Mr and Ms. Lawyers for BBC, this is why so many people download your shows.

We really don't want to. Just throw these up on BBC America just as you do for the iPlayer for BBC. We know we're going to pay a bit more, but that's okay. We understand why there's a difference.

Or plop it over on Amazon on Demand with the rest of the Top Gear stuff. You know we're going to watch this if we really want to, so why not take advantage of that and make some decent money from it?

:)

I wonder if James May has ever seen Home Improvement?

James was a guest on BBC Radio5 Live today plugging his show. Didn't hear about it until after the show had ended, so thank god for iPlayer:

JAMES MAY drops in for a chat about his new show "James May Man Lab" in which he attempts to revive the skills of DIY and other manly pursuits that he believes have been lost in a generation of men. He also tells Richard about the changing nature of Top Gear and its metamorphosis from a car show into a sitcom which has cars on it. And he reveals that he and Richard Hammond watch repeats of Top Gear on Dave.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00vrbc6/Richard_Bacon_James_May_joins_Richard

Fast Forward to 1:05:00

Edit: very interesting bit at 1:20:00 where James tells about how he checks some of his fan forums to see what we think of Man Lab.
zwaaiend.gif

Last edited:
Edit: very interesting bit at 1:22:00 where James tells about how he checks some of his fan forums to see what we think of Man Lab.
zwaaiend.gif

Well, in that case...

Love the show so far, but I also agree it needs more 'boring' bits. :D

An aside: Does no one in the UK put the wallpaper glue on the wall first? I don't remember who taught my dad that trick, but before the advent of pre-glued paper, he put the glue in a paint tray and used a paint roller to apply it to the wall before hanging the paper.

I think James hit the nail on the head... I want to know exactly how to mix concrete, in the same way I want to know exactly how to tune a guitar to open 5th... otherwise how will I ever master the works of Thomas Campion (1567-1620)

Its so mysterious how James can make everything so watchable....

And I agree with everyone who says that the episodes are a bit cramped. Maybe instead of 6 manly items, I think 4 would have been better. Mind you I would have loved to see more of the building scenes! Anyways those nitpicks are not going to stop me from watching the show :D

Glue on wall and glue on paper = maximum 'slipability' to match up patterns. Then roll out air bubbles from the centre out with a large brush and finally a hard wheel for the edges. Job done.

Having said that all my walls are now painted :(

Not trying to single you out dude, cause I do the exact same thing, but...

BBC!? Are you guys listening yet?

Why do you guys still never offer this stuff to us in exchange for money? I mean...really?

Christmas is coming up...with the launch of Top Gear USA, and the media coverage of this series...this would be a great gift for us folks in the States and countries other than the UK.

Amazon on Demand now (finally!) has most of the recent seasons of Top Gear in SD and HD available for viewing by episode or by season. In exchange for a very fair price, I may add.

But even with that, all of the James May DVD's that I can find are still Region 2, and wont play in any of my regular DVD players. I could of course 'hack' my DVD players, but even then, there's no guarantee.

So, Mr and Ms. Lawyers for BBC, this is why so many people download your shows.

We really don't want to. Just throw these up on BBC America just as you do for the iPlayer for BBC. We know we're going to pay a bit more, but that's okay. We understand why there's a difference.

Or plop it over on Amazon on Demand with the rest of the Top Gear stuff. You know we're going to watch this if we really want to, so why not take advantage of that and make some decent money from it?

:)

International iPlayer is coming.... for a price: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...911/BBC-aims-to-gain-from-global-iPlayer.html

An aside: Does no one in the UK put the wallpaper glue on the wall first?

Too labour intensive (up and down ladder etc) and wasteful. I'm a paste on paper only kinda gal. It's the only DIY job I'm really good at, but I also don't have any in my house any more. It went right out of fashion suddenly. Shame - wallpaper hides a multitude of sins.

I have to say, I like the show. Clearly it's aimed more at a (well, stupider) male demographic, so I'll forgive it for splitting segments into parts and having to remind us what happened before when it comes back... I'm glad the acting/skits in it are obviously fake, they're not trying to pass those off as real. It's a bit like a more blokey version of Brainiac.

Looking forward to the rest of it.

I just watched ep 1 and I thought it was trying to be a cross of Tool Time (home improvement) and the Man Show.

Nice idea, but I would rather each show go into more detail about a single subject - tuning up a motorbike, setting up your own bar, etc.

is it just me, or is weird to have a bathroom with holes in the wall for the train? I guess it provides extra ventilation - LOL

And about time too.

I have no issues at all paying to see this, as the intended audience in the UK kinda has no choice in paying. Like I said, keep the adverts to a minimum, and keep the full and proper content, and yeah...I'll willingly pay up.

Now, on to the next issue of the DVD's that the guys put out being offered in Region 1. :)

BBC honestly has no idea the amount of money they're missing out on. :)