Jan-21 -FB Gold - GTRs/FOX [SR:8][FR:50laps]

pdanev said:
Mischief I don't think 1:16s racing times are very realistic, at least not at this point, most of us seem to be struggling to get that time with a WR setup on an empty track. Enudrance setup and traffic surely wont make 1:16times possibles.

Did you try every car? If you are very unstable, why don't you just give it a go with the FXR, 4wd should be pretty stable.

Just don't give up. ;)

Mgkdk how are things with the wheel purchase, did you find anything for a reasonable price?

With the FXR I drift in every corner, literally. I find the RWDs best for this track. Right now I'm trying out the XR GTR because with the FZR I don't even use the car's power. The FOX gets rung up by the curbs at every corner although you can really go flat out through the corners with the FOX.

I'm sure not running 1.16's.
With the Fox I seem to run 1.18's (and sometimes high 1.17's).
If you go for the Fox, try softening the suspension (and adjusting the ride height to compensate) to make it less dramatic on the curbs.
I found that lowering the wing in the front and back a couple degrees made it less snappy too.

Of course just try to go through the chicane a bit slower rather than going through it like a raped ape.
You'll lose 0.2 to 0.5 seconds compared to hitting it just right, but at least you won't spin 9 out of 10 times then.

I did 1.18.0X with FOX, but I'm sure I'll be losing atleast 1s/lap to everyone in the race again. Also practiced like hell with one of the GTR's and could only do high 1.19's. :x

ESPNSTI said:
I'm sure not running 1.16's.
With the Fox I seem to run 1.18's (and sometimes high 1.17's).
If you go for the Fox, try softening the suspension (and adjusting the ride height to compensate) to make it less dramatic on the curbs.
I found that lowering the wing in the front and back a couple degrees made it less snappy too.

Of course just try to go through the chicane a bit slower rather than going through it like a raped ape.
You'll lose 0.2 to 0.5 seconds compared to hitting it just right, but at least you won't spin 9 out of 10 times then.

I rarely spin in the chicanes. I tend to go between 130 and 140 km/h in the first chicane. The last chicane before the start/finish line tests the cars understeer big time. Apply the power to early and you see the wall coming right at you no matter what the steering angle is.

Another thing. How in the world do you know what settings will do what? I've tried playing around and I just seem to make the car worse.

Here is a little tweaked setup for the fox. (I hope I'm posting the correct one)
http://rapidshare.de/files/11359263/FORMULA_XR_fe3_mod.set.html

I made it a bit less understeery on corner entry, and a bit less oversteery for exits.

Also try what espn suggested, make the suspension a bit softer, that will make it go through chicanes a bit smoother, and you'll get less tire wear. I also fooled around with the wing, but I unchanged that later. First I increased both front and rear wing by 2 degrees, car was much more stable, but was suffering on the straights. Then I decreased back the wings by 1 degree, was quite ok, but I somehow was running slower.

For the chicane, the 1st one that is, I lift of a tiny tiny bit, just let of the throttle 50%, and smash it tight again. This before entry obviously. Using this technique, no matter if you enter too soon or too late, the car will remain very stable. You loose a fraction of time with this, but it sure is very safe. Also, in race condition, remember that 1st chicane is not a point for overtaking, so even if you lift off properly, noone will overtake you there.

As for the very last chicane, I never have problem there. If you wanna play safe, I'd say cut the entry, rather than the exit. I think that's more safe. But also, you can go flat out there without touching the curbs at all, just needs a bit of practice and the right timin/rhythm. You can also use the same method as I mentioned for the 1st chicane. Lif ot a tiny little bit, actually its not even lifting off, just back up on the throttle for a very short moment on entry, say down to 80% or so, and floor it right away.

In the race, I will be avoiding curbs to save tires, and I'm also gonna play safe in chicanes, so I really doubt that 1:16 times will come from me in race conditions.

Btw, what do you want to change on a setup? Just let us know what you would like the car to be like, and we'll post some suggestions as to what to tweak.

Btw2, you mentioned steering settings. I don't know what you changed there, but since you said you are getting a lot of understeer, I assume you moded steering lock/parallel steer/toe settings. Usually more steering angle (directly through lock, or other settings) will result in more understeer.

Anyway, just let us know what you wanna change, and we'll help with that. ;)

I think there are setup guides out there, but I haven't read them.
TBH, I usually don't change much on a WR setup.

I just figured that in order to be more forgiving with the curbs, the suspension needed to be softer.
The wheels will travel more when you drive over a bump that way, and it won't upset the chasis as much.
Once you do that you'll see the car drop so I just adjusted the ride height to get it back to where it was in the first place.

I also figured a lot of downforce would cause snap oversteer if you go over the limit, so a bit less would make it more correctable.

I don't seem to have any problem with undesteer at the last chicane with the FOX.

pdanev said:
First I increased both front and rear wing by 2 degrees
Funny I went the exact opposite, I decreased them by 2. :lol:

Mischief remember that you started a thread about setups. ;)
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=9285

I posted pleanty of stuff there, such as:

http://img206.imageshack.**/img206/4195/overandundersteer1zl.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.**/img444/8642/carsetup0zg.jpg

Also what FireFox posted:

Code:
My ass is running wide when I brake
- Set brake balance to a higher value
- increase rear spring stiffness, or increase front compression damping
- increase rear rebound stiffness

My ass is running wide approaching certain corners.
- Under braking, shift down later than you normally do with RWD cars.
Shift down sooner than you normally do with FWD cars.
-apply a little throttle when shifting down

I lose my ass every time in the corners
- Increase rear spring stiffness
- Decrease the rear anti-roll
- Increase front anti-roll

I lose my ass in some corners
- Any of the above.
- Adjust the rear camber (typically closer to zero)

I want my car react quicker to my actions.
- Increase spring stiffness and lower the ride height accordingly
- Increase the steering lock
- Set front toe in more to the negative, which means more toe out :)
- decrease caster

I want my car to be more stable
- loosen the springs, increase the ride height accordingly
- you might try some more toe in on the front and rear wheels, for the front toe in compensate with less parallel steer
- increase caster

I want to brake when I'm turning
- You don't want to do that. Ok, may be a little brake can be useful.
- Increase the brake balance value. Or lower the front ride height and increase the rear ride height to aid stability when braking and turning at the same time.
- Decrease brake pressure (you might want to try this first, because you might mess up your cool setup with the 1st option :)

I want to brake on the kerbs
- Decrease brake pressure until the wheels do not lock, however you might lose valuable braking performance when optimizing this, so u might want to practice more by not applying max braking power with your foot, or by applying a little throttle (especially with FWD cars) while braking

I want my car to be less vulnerable to bumps.
- Soften the bumper damper, increase ride height.

I want to ride the kerbs in the chicane
- increase ride height
- decrease anti-roll bars
- soften the compression dampers

My front tyres are heating up too fast
- Set toe ins closer to zero
- Set cambers closer to zero
- Decrease brake balance of breaking power.
- Increase tyre pressure
- Be more gentle when turning in, when you just throw your car into corners the weight distribution change is just too much for the fron tyres, try to turn into the corners much with a constant turning of the steering wheel and not just one fast turn.
- Lower the front wing. In case of stable braking, turning.
- Set the front wing higher. If heating comes of nervous turning.

My rear tyres are heating up too fast
- Increase tyre pressure
- Set the rear wing (if any :)) lower. In case of stable braking, turning.
- Set the rear wing higher. If heating comes of nervous turning.
- Be more gentle on the throttle, this is the most useful hint :)

I lose the rear when exiting corners
- If in the Formula cars, lower the front wing
- Soften the rear suspension stiffness and/or raise rear ride height
- Decrease the rear compression damper
- Decrease rear antiroll
- Increase front antiroll
- Try more toe in on the rear
- Lower the power/coast values
- Heat your tyres up properly :)

Either print this, or write this on a pice of paper. I personally have an A4 scratch sheet with the most important things and tricks for setup tuning, that are a bit less obvious.

And trust me pdanev, I use those. I'm currently playing with the XR GTR. Even when I cut the corners I can't go full throttle through the last chicane especially with the FOX.

Well I practiced too :) tried all the cars. In the FOX i'm the fastest. Its really difficult even with the mouse. Only I won't be racing this weekend (I got an birthday party). This is the track where other people are making mistakes... :) I wish you all the best :lol:

Despite all the nasty spots, and really twitchy setups & handling, I somehow really like this track/car combo. :) I suck at it big times compared to lfsworld rankings, but I like it. :lol:

Im just nervous as ****, hoping I wont get kicked off the server this Saturday. I'll try my best to stay out everyones way.

I can get through the lap without spinning out, but the best times I have got so far are 1:25 range.

I can't practise atm due to movin PC etc (it's -35 degrees here!), but hopefully I get some more room tomorrow and new lan cable also, so I can join with you :)

I'm going for FXR and simply tring to surive...

Looks like my laptop has finally died, and cooling doesnt help it anymore. So I can't use the cooling tick I was relying on last week. :(

I'll try though, but since it didn't work for the last two days, my hopes aren't big.
This is what I see 2-3minutes after I start lfs:
http://img8.imageshack.**/img8/7245/untitled9li.th.jpg

Well, as I said, gonn give it a try, but chances are I'll disconnect after a few minutes. :cry:

PS: gonna send it for repair on monday, can't postpone it anymore, so hopefully it'll be fixed for next race.

That sucks pdanev. Last race we had some some good battles.