Japanese "Best"; French "Worst" tourists according to European hoteliers

superchevy

Car(s)
'03 honda s2k
Japanese "Best"; French "Worst" tourists according to European hoteliers

Japanese top good tourists' league
Behavior, spending habits, dressing and tipping judged in survey

Updated: 8:25 p.m. ET May 22, 2007

LONDON - The best tourists in the world are the Japanese, followed by Americans and the Swiss, a survey based on views from hoteliers across Europe said on Wednesday.

Japanese tourists stood out for being polite and tidy, securing 35 percent more votes than the Americans who came second.

Swiss tourists were commended for being quiet and considerate, unlike the Britons who were judged to be the fifth worst tourists because of rude behavior, noise and a miserly attitude to tipping.

But despite their faults, hoteliers do look favorably upon British spending habits voting them the third biggest holiday spenders after Americans and Russians.

Based on responses from 15,000 European hoteliers, the survey carried out on behalf of travel Web site Expedia showed that the worst tourist nation was France, followed by India, China and Russia.

Britain was second in the worst-dressed tourist table which was headed by the Americans, and fifth in the least-generous table which was headed by the Germans.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18810084/

compared to 2002 report: germans "best"; britons "worst"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm
www.expedia.co.uk/daily/press/releases/Best%20Tourist.doc

i can't find a complete list of the 2007 list. the only suprise on either list, to me, was the chinese being the 3rd worst tourists in the '07 survey.

But they take photos of EVERYTHING! Even me!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18810084/

compared to 2002 report: germans "best"; britons "worst"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm
www.expedia.co.uk/daily/press/releases/Best%20Tourist.doc

i can't find a complete list of the 2007 list. the only suprise on either list, to me, was the chinese being the 3rd worst tourists in the '07 survey.

I know someone working in a hotel and he is constantly annoyed by Chinese tourists because they don't seem to have a clue about proper behaviour.

I never understood the whole tipping scheme; I mean, if you e.g. buy a car, you won't give the salesman an additional 10% of the purchase price. So why would it be different for restaurants and hotels. Just adjust the prizes and drop the tipping (instead of stating it on the menu), it's just so confusing.

62z2ezr.jpg

French: look, aye emm geeveeng a ceegarette too ah bebeh!
Japanese: rook, smoking baby! I take pictule!

I never understood the whole tipping scheme; I mean, if you e.g. buy a car, you won't give the salesman an additional 10% of the purchase price. So why would it be different for restaurants and hotels. Just adjust the prizes and drop the tipping (instead of stating it on the menu), it's just so confusing.

The problem with tipping is every country has its own tipping ideas.

In some countries it's built into the bill, in some you leave whatever change you have in your pocket, and judging by a couple rants by waiters I've read online you get stoned out the restaurant if you don't leave enough dollars in the US (as apparently they need the tips to bring them up to the minimum wage).

Here i'd round the fare up to the nearest pound, give a barber 50p, and probably wouldn't leave anything in a hotel, as the odds are it'd be a Travelodge or Holiday Inn.

As for the survey - I'm not that surprised at the French being worst, or at the Americans being worst dressed. I fear we Brits get cruelly shoved into the same category as the English people who fly to Majorca for the sole purpose of getting pissed out their face though.

Chinese people don't tip because it's not customary in China to tip. Tipping your waiter in China is frowned upon to a certain extent. Plus we're horribly cheap bastards.

There is a difference between leaving $1 or so tip for a $10 meal than a $2500 tip for a $25000 car. If a waiter is courteous and nice, what's another dollar? Especially if you are on vacation or dining for a special occasion, another dollar shouldn't make a difference.

Here, it's not mandatory to tip, it's not even recommended, you just do it if you're pleased with the food and service.

In America for restaurants the usualy tip is 15% of the bill. 20 if the service was great, 10 is it sucked.

I agree with the Japanese being on top, I live in Yosemite National Park and we get maybe 10,000 Japanese tourists a month. They are all very polite and orderly.

Never seen a French tourist, so I cant say anything about them.

Also, Germans tend to be very polite and dignified....

I have never giving any tip. Not a custom. Its added to the bill here.

Isnt it in american that half a waiters salary comes from tips. And if the waiter doesnt get enough the employer should pay the rest (although no restaurant does this).

Chinese people don't tip because it's not customary in China to tip. Tipping your waiter in China is frowned upon to a certain extent. Plus we're horribly cheap bastards.

Well, count the Canadians in too as lousy tippers, at least when they come to the US.

Well, count the Canadians in too as lousy tippers, at least when they come to the US.

My chinese-tendencies cover up my canadian side completely :D

Since tipping is a custom highly dependable on what you're used to back at home I'd wouldn't give too much on it. At best it could be rated under: Does adjust to local customs.

Based on my experiences in Orlando, with a lot of tourists...I agree about Japanese being the best. I'd also say Brazilians, Germans, and Canadians are also pretty good.

Do the Japanese holiday abroad a lot though? Relative in terms of percentages compared with other countries? I don't think I've seen many Japanese tourists when I've been holidaying in a foreign country. The Dutch, on the other hand, seem to be bloody everywhere.

I'm afraid I'd have to agree on the British holiday-makers. Thing is most of them are the type that set out to get as drunk as possible and make as much of a nuisance of themselves as they can whilst staggering home from a club at 4am. The "normal" ones would be ok I'm sure.

I fear we Brits get cruelly shoved into the same category as the English people who fly to Majorca for the sole purpose of getting pissed out their face though.
I completely agree - no Scot would dream of going abroad and get drunk.

Isnt it in american that half a waiters salary comes from tips. And if the waiter doesnt get enough the employer should pay the rest (although no restaurant does this).

Every state is different on that. Some states if they make enough in tips they don't have to pay a dime, other states their tips can only count for a certain percentage.

You say giving a tip is added to the bill there, you mean the servers pay is included in the price of the food or that they tack on a a percentage at the end for a "tip"?

ioynerien said:

The car salesmen gets a nice chunk of change if he can work you well and keep you paying high, if not it's up to the finance manager to make up for the loss. Plus people in the states generally dislike car salesmen.