Japanese Special Editions/Limit Production Specs

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
We've talked about Japanese special edition models a lot here, whether they're the Pike Factory Nissans or those really wacky Toyota youth-oriented models (the JDM ones, not Scion). I think they're a fun part of Japanese car culture that doesn't exist to the same degree anywhere else.

So anyway, I wanted to know more about them. I want to know what you guys think about the business case for these models, the ones you guys think are coolest or weirdest, which ones should have made it to full production, and which were rightly doomed to remain on the islands. I personally like the way Toyota creates retro trims for other cars, like their Classic and Origin. But what prompted me to make this post was a Land Cruiser I found on a used car site in Japan that was definitely an LC80 but nonetheless was styled with a front clip that unmistakably was meant to resemble the LC60.

4081132_2.jpg

4081132_6.jpg

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan car/toyota/land+cruiser/16214274/

While I know a bunch about lots of these models, I haven't ever heard of this one. Does anyone have details on this model?

Interesting one, perhaps part of the big "retro" crazy Japan had during the early 90s. There were a lot of custom cars coming out of little coach building places like the Copel Bonito or the Mitsuoka Ray. Seems a bit odd to replicate a vehicle that was only out of production for a few years though!

I passed a Mistouka Viewt (not too uncommon, seen a good few around), convertible the other day. That really was odd seeing a soft top one. Driven by a middle aged Japanese lady, with a very elderly Japanese lady passenger. In North Yorkshire.

Pajero Evo

Mitsubishi_Pajero_Evolution_Gen2_V55W_1997-1999_frontleft_2012-03-04_U.jpg

tumblr_inline_mhn7tmAFxy1qcbnbm.gif

The good thing is, over here we see alot of imported Jap stuff.

Last edited:
Toyota Origin

Toyota_Origin_Chiba1a.JPG

I saw a lot of them on tradecarview but for reasons only known to them, tradecarview now only gives me listing for shitty korean cars. Less Crown Majesta and more 300,000km Hyundai Porter