Japantastic (56K warning)

Oops, screwed up.

trdpeoplemover.jpg

enginecutaway2.jpg

nissanrims.jpg

This is the line for an icecream shop "cold stone icreamery". I think its American? I want to try it out, but Tokyo being the way it is there's always a crazy line and nowhere to sit down and enjoy your icecream.

icecreamcue.jpg

Oops, screwed up.

trdpeoplemover.jpg

enginecutaway2.jpg

nissanrims.jpg

This is the line for an icecream shop "cold stone icreamery". I think its American? I want to try it out, but Tokyo being the way it is there's always a crazy line and nowhere to sit down and enjoy your icecream.

icecreamcue.jpg
Yes it is an American chain. They have them all over here. Their gimmick is that they mix your icecream with a whole bunch of things. You pick out a flavor of ice cream and toppings and they mix it all together for you. The ice cream is pretty good but hardly worth that line :)

You should've seen the line for crispy creme donuts.
It was a 50min wait!
And when Burger King reopened recently they were over capacity.

^I'd go to the nearest convenience store and buy myself regular icecream. XD

You're right, I pretty much avoid queuing for anything.
Don't like paying for crappy attractions either.

You should've seen the line for crispy creme donuts.
It was a 50min wait!
And when Burger King reopened recently they were over capacity.

You're right, I pretty much avoid queuing for anything.
Don't like paying for crappy attractions either.

mmmm Krispy Kreme

A 50 minute wait is worth it for fresh Krispy Kremes.

/The ones that get trucked in around here suck.
//Damn day-olds.

I just discovered this thread, hansvonaxion, keep it coming. I'm particularly fond of things we don't have in the US, but also cool to spot American cars in Japan, it's so out of context.

http://img261.imageshack.**/img261/9823/dsc00406iy4.jpg

I have been to Tokyo twice, once at JAL City hotel and 2nd time at Hotel Pacific, I think they're both Minato-Ku? While traveling the subway, going to Akhiabara, etc. I saw a surprising number of exotics. Again maybe it's the context that makes it shocking.

I'm particularly fond of the cars we don't get here, but also the strange non-sensical English names cars get (e.g. the Diahatsu Naked, Nissan Cedric, etc.). Also the deceptively-named "Limousine Bus" :) Keep 'em coming!

BTW I'm sure you are aware of www.engrish.com? Lots of "lost in translation" pics there.

^I'd go to the nearest convenience store and buy myself regular icecream. XD

That's how I lived (especially since I don't like fish). Mmmm, lots of Lemon Pepsi in cans shaped like bottles for some reason, and other vaguely familiar stuff. Don't forget the "Pocari Sweat".

http://img261.imageshack.**/img261/8397/dsc00405zd2.jpg

Thanks for posting. :)

There are a lot of manhole covers here. I dont know if its to do with the subways, or perhaps there are a lot of private companies that all make their own manholes, but they had a segment about it on TV once and they showed a street that was about 50m long and it had dozens on it! Some of them were pretty much butted up against each other. If I see anything similar, I'll snap a shot.

I swear the place is gonna collapse sometime.

A couple of years ago I was doing a lot of travelling around the world on business and I made an interesting observation about societies based on their manhole covers of all things. In Tokyo the manhole covers are very ornate and intricate, almost artistic. In America they are plain and mass produced, although every now and then you find an old one that has some interesting details.

I'm particularly fond of things we don't have in the US, but also cool to spot American cars in Japan, it's so out of context.

While traveling the subway, going to Akhiabara, etc. I saw a surprising number of exotics. Again maybe it's the context that makes it shocking.

I'm particularly fond of the cars we don't get here, but also the strange non-sensical English names cars get (e.g. the Diahatsu Naked, Nissan Cedric, etc.). Also the deceptively-named "Limousine Bus" :) Keep 'em coming!

BTW I'm sure you are aware of www.engrish.com? Lots of "lost in translation" pics there.

I think thats why there are so many European and American cars in here.

engrish.com is great.

Went for a BBQat the weekend, saw heaps of interesting stuff but couldn't stop. Anyway, heres a few I did manage to snap.

riverpano.jpg

bbq.jpg

mercbadgedminivan.jpg

M5black.jpg

preludegreddy.jpg

Last edited:
...The hell is that last one? Miniature horse racing?

Looked through the thread on friday but forgot to comment then. Great stuff, makes me want to book a trip to Japan for a summer holiday :)

I'd like a Copen, but they're fucking expensive over here... for some reason.. it has like 3 bhp.

It's 50.000 USD

Skylines aren't exactly small either. Despite being 2 door they are about the same length as an Evo.