Jay Leno on Top Gear

...I can't see him spending every minute ... driving impossibly exotic cars...

Funny, that's all I picture him doing in his free time, with the exception of building/maintaining impossibly exotic cars.

Depending on your idea of exotic, but the man owns extremely common cars to the very rare. I've been told he never drives the same car twice to work (unless he has 2 of the same car).

Anyone ever consider the fact that Leno does leave the USA once in a while, perhaps thats one of his ways of watching the show?

He needs to get the guys from TG on his show a couple of times, and show some clips, I'm sure that would spur interest.

He needs to get the guys from TG on his show a couple of times, and show some clips, I'm sure that would spur interest.

+32098349043297502437503249587023987502935709238750923

If they showed some clips (and their personalities), the public outcry to get more would be too much for networks to deny.

I would love to see Jay Leno as a guest on TG as well. However I don't know if the majority of the British public know who he is.

Leno's talk show sucks in general and is inferior to Letterman and Conan. But it's wildly interesting that Leno actually watches Top Gear and has been writing for Sunday Times about cars for ages now.

No, Letterman < dog crap < Leno < Conan < Craig

Torrent, or some sort of satelite?
nope, only bbc channels transmitted over NA are: bbc world, bbc canada & bbc america.
None of them have up-to-date episodes on ... and the only way to get the bbc channels live is thorugh the internet ... there's one site that does this, though I don't believe it's really legal what they're doing, nor is the audio-visual quality very good.
That's why b-torrent rocks.

Since Leno is "in the biz" I'd say he gets the most recent episodes on tape UPS or FedEx'd to him within a few days.

No, Letterman < dog crap < Leno < Conan < Craig

Letterman < Leno?

Surely you jest.

Letterman and Conan are way, WAY ahead of anything Leno has done... ever. Their shows are offbeat, intelligent, and Leno's ... well, it isn't. Perhaps that's why his ratings are better than Conan's and Letterman's; the average American doesn't want to think about his entertainment after a hard day at the mill. He wants to see a huge chin, on top of a huge neck.

Don't get me wrong though, I think this type of guerrilla marketing of Top Gear would certainly be the way to go. Get the three guys on to bicker with Leno, show some clips of exotic cars, the names of which most American's can't pronounce, and have Jeremy drive a blue Ford GT all over New York while people shout out, "Nice Ferrari!" The public will no doubt wonder why we have Mr. Bean, a show about a man who if you knew in real life, you would murder him, but not Top Gear. Why?!?

Top Gear in America would be brilliant, controversial, and hilarious. Kind of like South Park. So while I won't watch Leno over Letterman, I do think he is exactly the springboard the BBC can use to further the Top Gear audience.

Top Gear USA

Top Gear USA

I think Top Gear would be brilliant if it were brought to the USA in all its glory. However, I don't think it should be changed one bit. I would never want to see the three of them in an "American" show.

I'm an American myself and I can honestly say alot of the joy I get from watching Top Gear comes from its... Britishness. :) I do not know why.

I do agree that we need much better car programming on here. But I don't think you could ever recreate Top Gear with different people. I don't know about other folks but watching the three of them reminds me of how my friends and I are. We're all car nuts and we've got a Jeremy (whose dad is in fact British) a Richard and a James (me haha, even used to have long hair). I think that's why alot of people can relate, the show just has so much character and LIFE!

Off topic as usual for me. Anyway, I would love to see Jay on Top Gear or vice versa. Seems like they'd have alot of good stuff to bicker about ;)

Patrick

I bet Jay has a giant satellite or something like that where he gets BBC. He does work for a network company after all. I just don't imagine him to be tech savvy enough to be downloading from torrents.

I would love to see Jay Leno as a guest on TG as well. However I don't know if the majority of the British public know who he is.
So? Did they know who Christian Slater was?

Leno's talk show sucks in general and is inferior to Letterman and Conan.
Letterman = old, boring geezer
Conan = weird, stupid, annoying, high-pitched weiner
Leno = funny

Hey, just my opinion :D

nope, only bbc channels transmitted over NA are: bbc world, bbc canada & bbc america.
And they all suck. They basically cut out the majority of the in-studio segments -- news, guest, cool wall, friendly banter -- basically, all of the stuff which, in combination with the reviews, makes Top Gear such a great show. Watching it on BBC CA is really painful.

What a great article, very well written.

I want to meet him and he can drive me in all his cars :)

Watching it on BBC CA is really painful.

:canadian: I couldn't agree more. Thank god I've got every single ep. now so I don't have to watched that edited pile of :censored:!

I for one wouldn't want them any more exposed to N.A. I know I'm a total TG newbie (only been seriously watching since the beginning of August) but I think the exposure level is just right. Plus I don't see anyone ELSE around me screaming "POWARRR" when they drive down Highway 1 hehehe.

That was a great article, btw. There's a man who really appreciates cars.

That would be great to bring Top Gear to America. If they could have it uncut on Speed perhaps? Though a basic channel would probably be better.

Though knowing the current trend of Hollywood, or whoever it is that makes the tv shows it'll go something like this:

Top Gear gets aired > Some asshat makes an "american" version of Top Gear > It doesn't last long because the hosts aren't that great...