Jay Leno on US TG: I hope we don't ruin it (his words)

You know, fifth gear has sponsors too doesnt it? Doesn't stop them from panning a car when its boring or bad. This all simply goes back to the desire on both sides of the atlantic by euro-philes to see anything American be inferior to anything European.

At least i know this adam character wont bow to corporate, he wont even listen to his bosses tell him to stop leaking info about the show, whats he going to do to some suit?

^ Aaaaand corporate sponsors NBC pulls the plug since Adam won't listen. Goodnight folks, thanks for watching!

In the 80's/90's TG slated a Renault... and when Renault said to the BBC "apologise or well pull all of our advertisements from your network" The TG crew LOL'd.

How do movie review shows exist with commercials for crappy Adam Sandler movies at the breaks?

One thing is for sure, if they do start censoring him a lot we will at least know it is happening, he will have no problem bitching about his bosses on his morning show. Also, if they ask him to go easy on a kia he will just pull his trademark move of not showing up to work until they fix the problem.

I completely understand Leno's concerns, and it is a shame really. America has the creative talent and the technical skills to pull it off, but pinheaded producers who don't understand the real appeal of the original and are just looking to sell a rip off the original won't have the required "passion" (for lack of a better word) to craft a show that could navigate the corporate sponsorship problems to be successful in the US.

So, why not sell the original show to PBS and let them run it here. They could use some livening up of their schedule. It would piss of both the ecomentalist and the auto companies with one stroke and how many opportunities do you have to do that? After all, how hard could it be?

Gear is probably just going to be just like Top Gear, except without the car reviews or anything that's strictly car related.

I have you seen any recent episode of TopGear? They aren't "strictly car related" anymore. Not for a long time.

I'm not getting my expectations too high for "Gear". As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't have to live up to TopGear. That's idiotic. TopGear is the best of the best (or at least, it was). Gear would have a big mountain to climb to match TopGear, and even then, the raving fanboys would still bash the US "rip off".

As long as Gear is better then the usual crap car shows we see here in America, I'll be happy.

Regarding sponsorship, and conflicts as such:

"Money talks, bullshit walks".

You know, fifth gear has sponsors too doesnt it? Doesn't stop them from panning a car when its boring or bad. This all simply goes back to the desire on both sides of the atlantic by euro-philes to see anything American be inferior to anything European.

At least i know this adam character wont bow to corporate, he wont even listen to his bosses tell him to stop leaking info about the show, whats he going to do to some suit?

NBC is an entirely different company though. The big tv stations make a lot of money off of advertising from the car manufacturers. More importantly they'll probably assume the only ones willing to advertise for such a program are the car companies. So they may hamper the show, perhaps why they wanted Corolla, they know he won't listen.

The flip side to that is, if they do what they want then they could capture a rather lucrative share of viewers and sell advertising to anyone with money. I know the age group that TG apparently captures is a highly sought after age group of men to have for advertising dollars.

All we can do is wait and see. I'm still skeptical, but excited at the same time.

Last edited:
The big tv stations make a lot of money off of advertising from the car manufacturers

And the others (aside from public broadcasters) make money from what, the journalistic integrity fairy?

Last edited:
Sure i'll include it if you want, it doesn't change a single thing. Even the smallest of channels have targeted advertising.

Does anyone watch the Powerblock on SpikeTV? I used to watch it a while ago when C/D TV was still on and there was Trucks! and Horsepower TV. You got car reviews, people building high powered American cars and a show dedicated to building hardcore trucks/SUV's. Plus they used car part manufacturers as sponsors as opposed to car companies. I liked those shows but I doubt a very large number of people watch them.

I have a feeling that if NBC is going to keep this show, it is going to end up being like another predictable reality show but involving cars.

I have a feeling that if NBC is going to keep this show, it is going to end up being like another predictable reality show but involving cars.

Just like TopGear, which is what Gear is based on. So it all works out. :p

Sure i'll include it if you want, it doesn't change a single thing. Even the smallest of channels have targeted advertising.

NBC has never been a company known for sticking up for their radio or tv personalities, only what brings them the all mighty dollar. They either try and drop them fast, or force them to change their act. NBC dropped Howard Stern after 2 years despite his popularity, and the entire time stern was there Stern fought with them.

can he power slide like clarkson can ....ever single tv show he been on except the man show die....

A) Powersliding isnt difficult, and clarkson can barely do it.

B) Carolla is on at least one hit TV show right now, plus a radio show that has a pretty good sized audiance. He's not a comedian, he's a ranter. He's clarkson.

i think Adam corolla will kill the show....he has no sense of humor...and plus what does he knows about cars? can he power slide like clarkson can ....ever single tv show he been on except the man show die....

What does Clarkson or Hammond know about them? You're talking about a man that thinks a turbocharger is witchcraft and anti-lag is just completely unfathomable.

Isn't there a quote from Clarkson where he actually says that he doesn't know how a car works?

clarkson n co know a lot more than they let on... they just dont want to be known as car bores. its all just an act for the camera to appeal to people who actually dont know and dont care for how cars work, so long as they can hop in theirs an drive away. theyre more likely to stay tuned in than if they see someone explaining at length the 4-stroke cycle.

i find it extremely hard to believe that with his obvious enthusiasm for engineering, he doesnt know anything about how cars function. same with May.

he does know how they work, he just doesnt care to let everyone know.... plus, its funnier to proclaim witch craft is the cause rather than babbling on about velocity triangles and showing endless equations for working out static and stagnation pressures and compression ratios an total-static efficiencies and rothalpy etc etc (see how tedious that is loL!)