Jay Leno on US TG: I hope we don't ruin it (his words)

So, now, for the record..

all of us that panned this show - without seeing a single second of it - and got bashed for having the exact same opinions that Jay Leno just said... do we get to be smug legally? Or at least do we at least get a badge with a big chin on it?

Many of us said the exact same things, and we were bitch slapped for it.

Well, i may not get a badge - but i'm pretty smug right nowl.

all of us that panned this show - without seeing a single second of it - and got bashed for having the exact same opinions that Jay Leno just said... do we get to be smug legally? Or at least do we at least get a badge with a big chin on it?

There's a difference between Jay Leno being humble and stating that he wouldn't want to be a letdown to his favorite show, and blindly running around like Chicken Littles screaming that it's going to suck, it's going to fail, all Americans are fat and stupid, the networks are big greedy moneygrubbing leviathans, it's only going to be about pickup trucks and drag racing and Pabst Blue Ribbon, Ford and Chevy are the redneck spawns of Satan, Americans barely have the brains to stand on their back legs, and everybody's going to sue each other before the first commercial break.

So, now, for the record..

Many of us said the exact same things, and we were bitch slapped for it.

Well, i may not get a badge - but i'm pretty smug right nowl.

Sorry, i didnt know that jay leno was the emperor of NBC. This unfunny idiots useless commentary proves nothing, he doesnt know anything more about the show than what he heard from some useless casting agent.

Very disappointed in Jay's "no mixing work and pleasure" attitude.

Also disappointed that Jay would take such a "meh" attitude -- if Jay Leno isn't powerful enough to make Top Gear work, who is? Why would he just accept that it sucks, instead of taking it as his mission to make it not suck?

Great "Can't Do" attitude there.

Last edited:
Very disappointed in Jay's "no mixing work and pleasure" attitude.

Also disappointed that Jay would take such a "meh" attitude -- if Jay Leno isn't powerful enough to make Top Gear work, who is? Why would he just accept that it sucks, instead of taking it as his mission to make it not suck?

Great "Can't Do" attitude there.

My feelings EXACTLY.

I am very disappointed in Jay. :(

^ Now that I think about it, maybe we have too high an opinion of Jay. This may sound like sour grapes, but let's take a step back and look at Jay objectively.

Professionally, he was a B-level stand up comedian who managed to royally screw David Letterman out of inheriting the Tonight Show from Johnny Carson with a lot of backstabbing including when he stabbed his backstabbing agent in the back, or stabbing Howard Stern in the back by hiring Stuttering John (who then proceeds to do nothing). The Tonight Show might be hard work, but then again it may be fueled by the writers and Jay just shows up an hour before taping, does his thing, and goes home. I'm betting the latter. It's definitely a lazy formula and IMO not even that creative. I think Letterman puts more work into his show and is funnier, but the Tonight Show is an institution and people watch because of that. And I think Jay is jockeying to screw either Conan O'Brien (who is to succeed him in 2009) or Jimmy Kimmel (by taking his job at ABC).

Car wise, he does appreciate cars and has a nice collection, a very nice collection. But one thing that always irked me is that he doesn't seem to respect some of his old cars and always puts an LS1 and Corvette suspension under everything. Best example, he restored a 70s Oldsmobile Toronado, which was an innovative car in its day (front drive, airbags, precursors to third brake light, etc.) and Jay bastardized it by converting it to RWD with an LS1 and Corvette suspension. As much as I kind of like Foose-izing a classic car with modern running gear even I realize this is a crime!

nonsence, jay leno will NOT ruin top gear usa period, not sure about adam.
but i doubt that he will accept the job.
but he says he won't combine his job with his hobby but what is with jay's garage then ?

nonsence, jay leno will NOT ruin top gear usa period, not sure about adam.
but i doubt that he will accept the job.
but he says he won't combine his job with his hobby but what is with jay's garage then ?

Did you read any of the article?

He said he turned down the Gear job because he thought NBC would ruin it. He also said that he doesn't consider Jay's Garage a job because he doesn't get paid to do it, he just goes into his garage and talks about his cars and other cars. To him it's just him sharing his hobby, not a job.

I totally agree with jay's words.....
Like Jeremy Clarkson would say: "I?m choosing the words for my conclusion with even more care than usual. So here goes".........US TopGear is Crap.