Autoblog: Jay Leno recreates C'etait un Rendez-Vous on LA's "N?rburgring"

[tinfoil hat]

Al Gore has secretly experimented on California's ecomentalists and made them radiation-proof so that they can join him in reworking the world into his appearance once we, the others, are all dead and buried.

[/tinfoil hat]

:lol:

Then zombies it is. :D (See above post.) Remember, every corpse wrenched back into an unholy semblance of life is a corpse that doesn't end up in a landfill! (Borrowed fromThe Order Of The Stick webcomic.)

Last edited:
The real eco-loonie eater... LOOK AT THAT MOUTH! ;)

audi-r15-studio-11-1280.jpg

And if Audi get their act together, it could see LA (Long Beach).

Yeah, the real complaint (as in, what they're complaining about as a matter of law and regulation) is the noise, though they also cite 'earth-destroying carbon emissions' and 'the need to reflect the sensibilities of the host community.' Friend of mine who still lives there went to a City Council meeting and saw people complaining about the event. He said that it seemed to be getting some small amount of traction - especially the suggestion that non-complying teams could be fined big bucks by the city.

Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs? Yeah that will work out. Good thing CA is in the black and has no need of the money.

Killing the goose that lays the golden eggs? Yeah that will work out. Good thing CA is in the black and has no need of the money.

Oh wait. :lol:

California is, of course, run by idiots and lawyers - though that's often the same thing.

Just today, California demanded that the rest of the country bail their failed and bankrupt government out to the tune of at least $8 billion, or they might have to cut social services. Mind you, welfare and free schooling for the illegal aliens will be cut last and they'll close every park, track, library and other public facility first. Oh, and they'll be upping their environmental fees, adding additional enviro rules (which don't make sense) and increasing enforcement of their insane rules, because they have to save Mother Gaia! (Did you know that it was illegal to have a wood fire at Christmas in California, for example?) That's not going to hurt business (and therefore tax revenue) at all, right?

California not only killed the golden goose, they've made an entire industry of it! (And somehow managed to not make a profit at that, either....)

Last edited:
^ There are places in the world which are run ONLY by idiots. Oh, and thieves. And the only thing "Mother Gaia" has to be saved from is the eco-loonies themselves.

Back on topic, :drool: at the V8 rumble of the SLS. Such a shame they're not thinking of selling the engine in order to plunge it into a LMP-type car.

On the subject of California, I've devoted an entire chapter in my world takeover plans to recovering that wonderful place from the criminals-to-humanity that inhabit it.

Just to be clear: I love California. I hate the people who live there.

Why we allowed the pinnacle of human development (cities where no cities should be, thousands of miles of road whose only purpose is to be awesome) and the most varied collection of incredible landscape on earth to fall into the hands of our worst is beyond me - but it's still possible to reclaim it without harming what we've accomplished there (which is a damn sight better than I'm going to do to most other places that resist my rise to power)

On the subject of California, I've devoted an entire chapter in my world takeover plans to recovering that wonderful place from the criminals-to-humanity that inhabit it.

Can I Join you?

I promise I won't ask for much once we've achieved world domination. Although I wouldn't mind having Pelosi's house, so I can turn half of it into an armory full of semi and fully automatic and .50+ caliber things, and the other half into a garage, filled with Humvees and tanks (I'd make sure to get at least 5 M4 Shermans, just because they run on gasoline) and race cars.

and its not even all the people who live here either, its mostly just a few heavily populated pockets of leftist loonies who are allowed to dominate everything because of gerrymandering and corruption.

Remember, after all, this is the state that once had Ronald Reagan as its Governor. A lot of people who voted for him for Governor and for President are still around... ok, most of them were probably smart enough to realize when this state was beginning to slide off the deep end and GTFO'd. but still, there is hope... I think. stay and fight is my view.

and yeah... the SLS... I'm still not sure I'm completely ok with the looks... but I think that engine just might make up for that.

Last edited:
Can I Join you?
My trusted Lieutenants already know who they are. You, on the other hand, aren't one of them. Do not despair, however - don't resist when they come, and you will be interviewed and the appropriate resources redistributed from those who were not so intelligent.

The only problem is a lot of the people live in California aren't from there, they moved there. Basically living in CA turns ppl into the kind of folks you hate, so even if you clear out the current population, the people who will take their place will transform into the same, its a dilemma and the only way to make it a nice place again is to forbid any humans from living there.

Yeah, but that's only because it's preexisting and Long Beach doesn't have much else of a source of income.

Don't forget Fontana was built in the 1990s.

The other thing to remember about Los Angeles is that it has, by far, the BEST car culture in the world. Everywhere else might as well be an automotive wasteland.

Steve

Don't forget Fontana was built in the 1990s.

The other thing to remember about Los Angeles is that it has, by far, the BEST car culture in the world. Everywhere else might as well be an automotive wasteland.

Steve

If by "Car culture" you mean "Rich people who buy a lot of nice cars and park them on the street to show off, who coincidentally live vaguely near a bunch of Mexican lowrider shops and Asian rice shops, with a handful of alright custom shops" you're quite right, you don't get that anywhere in the world except LA.

But that crap isn't what cars are for - cars are supposed to be driven, and it's absolutely disgusting to me just how little of that actually takes place. Life in Los Angeles is dictated by the freeways - boundaries are drawn by them, entire lives lived along them - but the damndest thing about it is that you can't actually drive until you get outside that checkerboard grid and into the mountains and deserts - and fucking nobody does it.

I doubt the hippies would allow it to become a Le Mans like event.

They are less of the problem and more likely the massive number of people that live on it. And there really isn't anywhere on that road for people to actually sit and watch the race. The only chance it might have had was being a tarmac rally stage some 30 years ago.

Yep, exactly. They hate the automobile so much in California it would never happen. Very cool idea, and cool videos too!

Nevermind the fact that most of the Santa Monica Mountains (as well as Mulholland Dr itself) were paved over practically for the sake of driving enjoyment. Ask Madcow when I took him out there what it's like up there... not much for anything that was out trying to have a blast.

Much of california roads are not drilled THROUGH mountains or made straight but purposely carve out the side of a mountain or in some way built so that the driver is involved. The exception of course being the freeways.

Don't forget how much of the aftermarket industry is based here, hell 90% of the US based foreign auto industry is here. Most of the car mags are based out of here as well.

The only problem is a lot of the people live in California aren't from there, they moved there. Basically living in CA turns ppl into the kind of folks you hate, so even if you clear out the current population, the people who will take their place will transform into the same, its a dilemma and the only way to make it a nice place again is to forbid any humans from living there.

Pretty much. Too many people came in from out of the state and are ruining it. They've already cost us most of our race tracks. What didn't help us was the industry that died off in the 80's turning much of anything south of I10 and west of 605 into a wasteland and much of the residents moving except those that want to live off the government dime.

Anyone else seems to move next to an area with a race track and demand it be shut down. This is what happened to Lyons raceway, same for Riverside, Pomona is getting the ax soon :cry:

The problem with down here in the south I think is most of us car guys just don't seem to speak up, as we all have to have jobs to pay for our hobby addiction and then spend our free time on our cars/trucks/bikes that the bored hippies with trust funds and those on welfare fuck it up for us.

If by "Car culture" you mean "Rich people who buy a lot of nice cars and park them on the street to show off, who coincidentally live vaguely near a bunch of Mexican lowrider shops and Asian rice shops, with a handful of alright custom shops" you're quite right, you don't get that anywhere in the world except LA.

But that crap isn't what cars are for - cars are supposed to be driven, and it's absolutely disgusting to me just how little of that actually takes place. Life in Los Angeles is dictated by the freeways - boundaries are drawn by them, entire lives lived along them - but the damndest thing about it is that you can't actually drive until you get outside that checkerboard grid and into the mountains and deserts - and fucking nobody does it.

Uhhh what? I'm sorry, I must have missed this part because I see a lot of different types of cars being driven (and hard) quite often. Also since when does being part of the car culture mean you have to be rich? Go hang out in Malibu for a while, I promise you'll see quite a few Exotica being driven vigorously. LA doesn't just mean downtown, remember it stretches from the SB mountains all the way to the Santa Monica's.

I also notice the massive number of car enthusiasts in general that meet up and go for drives (some more aggressive than others), help out on each others cars, and even help those in that crowd build a business around said cars.

Us SoCal roadster (miata) owners actually have a growing reputation as "those god damned southern california track rats." Usually because some of us* show up in street cars in full dope status and promptly wipe the floor with the competition... then drive 9 hours south down PCH back to LA.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/200...l-roadster-lifestyle-by-linhbergh-nguyen.aspx

I could go on for days, as I haven't even touched on the hot rodders, low riders, VW crew (which is FUCKING HUGE), among anything else.

I hear CONSTANTLY from people all over the world "I wish we had something REMOTELY close to the Socal Car culture."

Now if only my fucking state wasn't run by idiots who can't balance a check book...

Last edited:
Oh and those that want to see these roads back when people raced on them, just watch this little bit of Dennis Hopper driving drunk in a 63 Vette against a hopped up Porsche 365 replica/ VW Bettle

[youtube]KynMbNsDCfY[/youtube]

And a live sucker of a thread

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-...3-what-happened-mulholland-king-hill-rsr.html

In that thread is a bunch of stories about people that raced mulholland back in the day... man I wish I could have been born when my oldest brother was instead of 12 years later :(

Last edited:
Well yeah, but I was 18 years old, and had gotten off an airplane and had come to the conclusion after about 20 minutes of futzing around at a bus stop that public transport sucks even in places that do have it - so I needed something - and the only rental agency that would rent to an 18 year old AT ALL was U-Haul.

Holy crap!! I did that once a few years back, when my car was in the shop for a weekend!!

*laughs*

Dude. If you lived in LA, it must have been in an alternate galaxy. The LA I grew up in was absolutely outrageous. In truth, the cops slammed down on most of the best roads after the 1980s saw a lot of deaths from people taking really fast cars and doing foolish things on those roads. If you ever saw an all primer '67 Mustang fastback that looked like a beater but sounded a lot like a Trans-Am car that had license plates on it...well... that was my brother and I. These days, you do have to go slightly farther out than Mulhullond to stretch a car's legs...but not much farther.

Even just a handful of weeks ago I was out in a group of exotic machinery on a 90 minute drive -- and we weren't the only folks on the roads by any means.
There was enough room to stretch the legs of the 16M I was driving, though :) -- but quite modestly (especially since it wasn't MY Ferrari)

Steve

Dude. If you lived in LA, it must have been in an alternate galaxy. The LA I grew up in was absolutely outrageous. In truth, the cops slammed down on most of the best roads after the 1980s saw a lot of deaths from people taking really fast cars and doing foolish things on those roads. If you ever saw an all primer '67 Mustang fastback that looked like a beater but sounded a lot like a Trans-Am car that had license plates on it...well... that was my brother and I. These days, you do have to go slightly farther out than Mulhullond to stretch a car's legs...but not much farther.

Even just a handful of weeks ago I was out in a group of exotic machinery on a 90 minute drive -- and we weren't the only folks on the roads by any means.
There was enough room to stretch the legs of the 16M I was driving, though :) -- but quite modestly (especially since it wasn't MY Ferrari)

Steve

If something like that comes up again you need to PM me man! I'll join in just to cruise if nothing else :D

Perhaps I'm wrong - there are two of you.

When I say "LA" I mean it in a very general "The logical area called $city must include all the urban sprawl and some surrounding rural area for flavor" manner - bounded roughly by a box with the points:

Ventura, Palmdale, Victorville, Banning, Laguna Beach.

However, of the people and culture I'm most familiar with, draw a box from LAX to Lynwood to Long Beach Airport, and then straight south until you hit water. Everywhere else, upon further reflection, there's no way in hell I could've run into anyone doing anything interesting because other people still work weekdays, regardless of how much I'm on vacation. Of course all the interesting roads are going to be deserted at 1PM on a Monday.