Jay Leno's reason why...

Lambos r4ever

Car(s)
Honda Prelude
... the Chevy Tahoe won the "Green car of the year".

Motormouth: Jay Leno
We want it both big and green
Jay Leno

The basic difference between England and America is size. For instance, in England your ?jumbo king super-large? beverage is our small. So there?s nothing funnier to me than when English people come to America and we say: ?Would you like something to drink??

And they say: ?Yes.? ?Would you like a large?? we say. ?Yes . . . I?m quite thirsty,? they say, and they get a 44oz tub that they could bathe in!

It?s the same thing with our automobiles. Big with you is tiny for us.

I hear I got a bit of stick on Top Gear last Sunday for voting the Chevy Tahoe as green car of the year over here. So let me explain.

Most environmentalists in the States ? the ones that really push it ? live in Vermont, keep their house at 52F, have 40-watt light bulbs and watch TV for 20 minutes a night because that?s all the energy in their solar-powered generator.

Most Americans don?t want to live like that. Most Americans want to continue to live the way they always lived and if possible do it more economically.

The Chevy Tahoe and its brother or sister, the Suburban, are two of the biggest-selling vehicles in America and the fact that suddenly there?s a petrol-electric hybrid version available seems a step in the right direction.

Since all the hybrid vehicles came out, there?s been a tremendous upsurge in the price of used Tahoes because a lot of Americans like to pull boats as well as haul their own big posteriors around and they need large vehicles to do it.

The fear has been that these vehicles might go away as we?re forced into some little sun-powered econo-box, but this big Tahoe Hybrid shows that?s not necessarily going to be the case.

I think the Tahoe Hybrid won because, look, if you?re gonna drive a Chevy Suburban/Tahoe you?re probably getting about 12mpg. But here?s a hybrid version and you?ll get 22-23mpg. It?s not going to be up there in the 40-50mpg range like a Toyota Prius or some of those other cars but that?s not what it?s intended to do.

I don?t think the Tahoe Hybrid is necessarily a milestone. It?s a stopgap. What I think is a milestone is that GM has got a terrific concept in its car called the Volt that can go almost 600 miles on a very small amount of fuel. It is primarily an electric ? it?s a plug-in ? and you can use it if you commute 40-50 miles a day.

You can actually use it for weeks without putting any petrol in it, unless you were going to perhaps take a big trip or something.

I think all hybrids are stopgap measures because manufacturers are forced to make two power trains and they?re expensive and nobody discusses the energy involved in making some of these hybrids with the batteries and the power trains and all that sort of stuff. So I think the hybrids are brilliant and really interesting but I believe that ultimately in a few years you will see concepts like the Volt. Plug-ins will be the new way to go.

Just in case you?re starting to think I have given up on the internal combustion engine, I have not. In the future I believe what will happen is that we will all drive some sort of green vehicle and then on the weekends our classic or sports cars will become the equivalent of a quad bike or jet ski ? a vehicle that you use for a bit of recreation but not every day on the highway.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article3015985.ece

Spot on.

that doesnt totally sounds like leno's wording, using brit terms and all, did a british editor give his article a bit of working over?

that doesnt totally sounds like leno's wording, using brit terms and all, did a british editor give his article a bit of working over?

What do you mean? He uses units like ounces and Fahrenheit.

most Americans need big vehicles? or u all have boats?

A large vehicle is not practical for most people in Europe due to space constraints. In North America, it is practical to have a large vehicle because there are few space constraints outside of metropolitan urban areas.

Simple enough?

Jay Leno has been doing articles for The Times for awhile, he always puts in the correct terminology where he can. In a couple of the articles he even corrects himself. I have read Clarkson's articles in The Times for awhile, and on a few occasions, Leno has stepped in and written an article for Clarkson's column, while Jeremy was on vacation.

I honestly believe it's fairly common for American writers to be familiar with, and use, British grammar and vice versa, when writing for the appropriate readership. I myself professionally copy edit (sub-edit) for both varieties of English (and might soon be venturing into the hybrid land of Australian English), and I've found that most authors I've worked with are pretty conscientious about punctuation and word use.

I do think it's pretty cool that Leno writes for The Times, though.

He's a clever guy and makes a good rebuttal. It's obvious too he respects Top Gear and the presenters.

I still wouldn't call a car that gets 23mpg a green car, nevermind "of the year" because "it's a step in the right direction". That's like saying a murderer is "nice guy of the year" because he only killed 3 people this year, not 30 like last year.

(ludicrous analogies win!)

Jay Leno has been doing articles for The Times for awhile, he always puts in the correct terminology where he can. In a couple of the articles he even corrects himself. I have read Clarkson's articles in The Times for awhile, and on a few occasions, Leno has stepped in and written an article for Clarkson's column, while Jeremy was on vacation.

thats pretty cool that he writes with the appropriate lexicon for the british readership. it would sound weird as hell to hear him speak that way tho, esp with his NY italo-american accent, lol

I honestly believe it's fairly common for American writers to be familiar with, and use, British grammar and vice versa, when writing for the appropriate readership. I myself professionally copy edit (sub-edit) for both varieties of English (and might soon be venturing into the hybrid land of Australian English), and I've found that most authors I've worked with are pretty conscientious about punctuation and word use.

I have to apologize for my atrocious grammar, punctuation, and word use.

I'm sorry, I seem to no longer know how to write.

I also wanted to comment on the fact that Imperial Gallons are different from Standard U.S. Gallons. The Imperial Gallon is larger than Standard U.S. Gallons, so the figures you get for miles per gallon are going to be much different using the Imperial Gallon. Mileage figures using the Imperial Gallon are going to look to be greater than when using the Standard U.S. Gallon. 21-23 MPG is not great in Standard U.S. Gallons, but it isn't terrible either.

most Americans need big vehicles? or u all have boats?

a lot of americans who have huge vehicles certainly dont need them and have screwed up priorites. however a huge percentage of the population reside/work/play outside of the large congested urban centers, in areas where land and space comes cheap, and many of them do engage in regular outdoor activities that require large cargo carrying capacity, towing boats, sea doos, ATVs, etc. as well as using their trucks to carry other junk on a regular basis. however these usually do not include the soccer moms who absolutely need a range rover to transport their 2.2 kids in absolute safety.

I don't know about Leno's reasons...

How can he call it the "Green Car of the Year" when he admits that it's not up there with the Prius. He chose it mainly because it's a high volume vehicle and you get (up to) 10mpg more than a non-hybrid version. He even admits it's not a milestone. I think GM have had some 'influence' behind the scenes :p

I still wouldn't call a car that gets 23mpg a green car,

It is around here. All the cars here at my house get around 15.

Er, wait, is that 23 American MPG or UK MPG? Huge difference.

Er...if I came off as trashing your writing, I apologize--that was entirely NOT what I was getting at. I was trying to support your statement--I must've lost something in what I wrote, myself.

I also wanted to comment on the fact that Imperial Gallons are different from Standard U.S. Gallons. The Imperial Gallon is larger than Standard U.S. Gallons, so the figures you get for miles per gallon are going to be much different using the Imperial Gallon. Mileage figures using the Imperial Gallon are going to look to be greater than when using the Standard U.S. Gallon. 21-23 MPG is not great in Standard U.S. Gallons, but it isn't terrible either.

I can understand his argument, even if I don't agree with it.

For some reason this brings to mind a Bill Bryson column, when he complains that a lot of Americans don't understand English English - a New York Times book reviewer complaining about anglicisms like a hall being "the size of a football pitch", or a film - Shakespeare in Love? - where one of the audience members in the cinema keeps saying "What are they saying? because she doesn't understand the English accent.

I know these are overexaggerations played for comic effect more than fact, but they still amuse me.

I don't know about Leno's reasons...

How can he call it the "Green Car of the Year" when he admits that it's not up there with the Prius. He chose it mainly because it's a high volume vehicle and you get (up to) 10mpg more than a non-hybrid version. He even admits it's not a milestone. I think GM have had some 'influence' behind the scenes :p

He's saying that its the green car of the year because its showing people that they can still live normal lifes and still have a large car that can do all the things they want a car for while still being green. Besides, the Prius probably won last year.

For a truck that can haul 6700 lbs of boat/trailer/shit, that is awesome. Every 6 imperial MPG is 5 US. Thats nearly 27mpg in Britannia.

It is around here. All the cars here at my house get around 15.

Er, wait, is that 23 American MPG or UK MPG? Huge difference.

American.