Jay Leno's track time

cabso1

Car(s)
Nissan Maxima 2.0
Was anybody else disappointed with Jay Leno's track time being 1:48.something?

Being a huge petrolhead et al, I'd have expected him to be more nearer to the top.

The cop story was hilarious.

Last edited:
Yes because he's a gearhead/petrolhead, no because he's fat.

Therefore Yes + No / 2 = average, which is pretty much what he got.

I think it just goes to prove that liking cars doesn't automatically mean someone is a good driver.

First, the Lacetti is confused by fatties - this has been mentioned more than once. Second, Leno is also an old fatty. He was never going to challenge the young, slim drivers in that car.

Plus shifting with the wrong hand. Remembering how garbage a Lacetti's gearbox is when you're on the correct side of the car, imagine what it'll be like on the other side.

Last edited:
It takes a special breed to be a fast driver. I'm reminded of Clarkson's attempts at posting a 10 minute lap at the NRing in a Jaaaaaaag. And Sabine beating that time in a van. I don't think it means much. Jay posted a decent time.

I'm sure Jay wanted to do better but he just loved being there. He's actually quite a decent driver compared to most here in the U.S. I'd say. It's true when they say we don't have very many twisties.

I demand a poll!

It takes a special breed to be a fast driver. I'm reminded of Clarkson's attempts at posting a 10 minute lap at the NRing in a Jaaaaaaag. And Sabine beating that time in a van. I don't think it means much. Jay posted a decent time.

she beat that time in the [same] jaaaag. sadly, she didnt beat the time in a van, as much she tried tho.

First, the Lacetti is confused by fatties - this has been mentioned more than once. Second, Leno is also an old fatty. He was never going to challenge the young, slim drivers in that car.

Plus shifting with the wrong hand. Remembering how garbage a Lacetti's gearbox is when you're on the correct side of the car, imagine what it'll be like on the other side.

Exactly.

I was going to comment saying how bad he was, but this is a very good point. While I'm sure he has several cars in this drive configuration it still would be a pretty unnatural movement.

In that Eric Bana movie "Love the Beast, Jay Leno had guest starred and they talked about motor racing. IIRC Jay Leno said something to the effect that he didn't like racing competitively like he wouldn't like having sex competitively; Leno made a similar joke/reference to this during his lap on TG. He fully acknowledges that he's not very good at it; and prefers other venues of vehicle enthusiasm like driving the car on the road and fixing something up in the garage.

All that said he still has balls and drives all sorts of crazy stuff ranging from a Dodge Tomahawk to taking crazy ideas like a tank car out for a spin; and he still has a ton of enthusiasm - he just has a different driving style and has a deep appreciation of mechanics/history/the whole picture kind of deal.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Weight does add a few points. I suppose he's not a fast track driver then.

Can't add a poll because I don't know how to. :)

I'm sure Jay wanted to do better but he just loved being there. He's actually quite a decent driver compared to most here in the U.S. I'd say. It's true when they say we don't have very many twisties.

Maybe not in your part of the country. We have loads of them here in Tennessee.

Not every car enthusiast is a racing driver. Very few, actually.