Jeep Gladiator Sales Low

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
I find this quite strange as it seemed to be wanted so badly by the community and yet like most things the community of such a model, it comes out too expensive for those that can afford it or those that want it never would have been able to pay for one. I don't know but either way, its surprising to me as the Jeep truck is the newest platform compared with the likes of Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado.

Source: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-pickup-truck-sales-figures-by-model/

Jalopnik Story: https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-gladiator-is-struggling-1841569645

Thoughts?

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
It doesn't surprise me at all engine is shit, being a Wrangler variant it's terrible on-road, being a pick up it now has to compete with the likes of the F-150, which all come in a whole bunch of different configurations.

A Wrangler pick up was always going to have an extremely limited appeal, I'm surprised they even bothered making it.

Vipergts662

Car(s)
2016 Holden Commodore (chevy ss), 2020 Explorer ST
The die hard Jeep people at work are not impressed by the looks they say the proportions are off, they want nothing to do with it. It is growing on me but the bed just seems out of place.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
It doesn't surprise me at all engine is shit, being a Wrangler variant it's terrible on-road, being a pick up it now has to compete with the likes of the F-150, which all come in a whole bunch of different configurations.

A Wrangler pick up was always going to have an extremely limited appeal, I'm surprised they even bothered making it.
I'm with you on most of that... but the engine isn't shit. That V6 mated to that ZF8 is a pretty good combo. But yes, the Wrangler always has been and continues to be a terrible road vehicle. You'd have to be a die-hard off-roader to buy a Gladiator over a Ram, an F150, or a Tacoma.

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Having driven a Gladiator Rubicon at length, I can confirm that the Pentestar is perfectly adequate for the truck. As far as on-road ride, its perfectly acceptable and quite cushy in fact, even with 2 stick axles. Suspension and tire design has really come a long way for that to be an instant turn off, and yeah, you will have error states not found with more conventional suspension type, however most people will not comprehend the difference. Granted, a base Gladiator with its more road oriented tires may have a worse response. And Chrysler has come a long way with their interiors, the JL/JT cabin, at least in fully loaded guise, was quite a nice place to be. You have all the tech you could ever want and decently comfortable seats. Really the only 3 downsides to the truck in my opinion were the awful windnoise from the removable top, the awful sound system that could be attributed to the removable top and doors, and the very shallow cargo bed. But since most people don't use trucks for truck things, that last one can be discounted.

Oh, the other thing wrong with it... the price. The fully loaded Rubicon I spent a weekend with was $65k. That's Shelby GT350 money. Even a moderately equipped one is about $45-48k which is a lot for what you're getting. If they managed to get the fully loaded truck into the low-mid $50k range, I think it would've been a much bigger hit..... which is exactly where the truck lands after this most recent round of $9k dealer incentives.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
I've seen a handful on the road here, most seem to be lower spec (probably for the reason @CrzRsn stated above). Personally, I think they have odd looking proportions and I generally try to stay away from Mopar products.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
I hope it's a big improvement over the JL - I find those horrible on-road vehicles. Terrible ride, terrible interior, no handling - F150 and Ram are infinitely nicer.

Edit: JK, not JL

Last edited:

CrzRsn

DONOR
Car(s)

You mean JK? Gladiator is just a JL with a bed. The rear suspension architecture of the Gladiator is basically just a scaled version of the new Ram 1500. Also Its not exactly a vehicle designed to handle, so don't know why you're complaining about that, it does its job exactly as its designed to. Furthermore, I find it funny that you mentioned F150 and Ram in the same breath when they have vastly different rear end setups. The Ford is a traditional leafspring setup while the Ram is a 5-link with either coils or airbags, the ride is vastly different between the two, especially if you hit a bump mid-corner - with the Ram being the superior choice in this metric.

GRtak

Forum Addict
Apparently the big game commercials are popular for it.

By the way, the $65k @CrzRsn quotes is Corvette money, with the potential for change.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Oops I did mean JK, not JL. Even if Wranglers aren't designed with on-road performance in mind, that's where most consumers actually use them. Hence my observation that other pickups are far superior for on-road performance (I know F150 and Ram aren't the same - just pointing out that both are better for 95% of pickup truck environments than the Gladiator). I doubt that a lot of people want to drop $65k on a truck that's based on a Wrangler when they can have a nice cushy Ram for less money.

CrzRsn

DONOR
Car(s)
Didn't someone make an electrical V8? Basically using solenoids instead of pistons but same exact action?

I know Koenigsegg was using solenoids instead a valvetrain, but as far as 8 solenoids in a V formation connected to a central crankshaft, I can't why you would do that other than just for fun.

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
I remember solenoid valvetrain, thought it was a neat idea. Looks like no one built it for fun or otherwise, which makes me sad :( (yes there is no practical upside of it)