• 2011 Dodge Durango

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 2011 Honda Pilot

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Andrew911tt

Car(s)
2008 MazdaSpeed3 GT
I really want to see a comparison between the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 Ford Explorer, 2011 Dodge Durango and 2011 Honda Pilot.

When I stated to look at this segment about a year ago there was nothing that could keep me from getting a Honda Pilot but then then Jeep, Ford, and Dodge really stepped up. The new SUVs form these companies are really nice all around vehicles.

Is there anyone else who is finding this match up a really interesting thing to watch.

MSRP
2011 Honda Pilot: $28,045 - $41,175
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee: $30,215 - $46,180
2011 Ford Explorer: $28,190 - $44,500
2011 Dodge Durango: $29,195 - $43,795

Engines
2011 Honda Pilot:
  • 3.5L V6: 250 hp / 253 lb-ft
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:
  • 3.6L V6: 290 hp / 260 lb-ft
  • 5.7L V8: 360 hp / 390 lb-ft
2011 Ford Explorer:
  • 2.4L T-I4: 237 hp / 250 lb-ft
  • 3.5L V6: 290 hp / 255 lb-ft
2011 Dodge Durango:
  • 3.6L V6: 290 hp / 260 lb-ft
  • 5.7L V8: 360 hp / 390 lb-ft

MPG
2011 Honda Pilot:
  • 3.5L V6 FWD: 17/23/19
  • 3.5L V6 AWD: 16/22/18
  • 3.6L V6 RWD: 16/23
  • 3.6L V6 4WD: 16/22
  • 5.7L V8 RWD: 14/20
  • 5.7L V8 4WD: 13/19
2011 Ford Explorer:
  • 2.4L T-I4 FWD: ?
  • 3.5L V6 FWD: 17/25/20
  • 3.5L V6 AWD: 17/23/19
2011 Dodge Durango:
  • 3.6L V6 RWD: 16/23
  • 3.6L V6 AWD: 16/22
  • 5.7L V8 RWD: 14/20
  • 5.7L V8 4WD: 13/20

Towing
2011 Honda Pilot:
  • FWD: 3500 lbs
  • 4WD: 4500 lbs
  • 3.8L V6: 5000 lbs
  • 5.4L V8: 7400 lbs
2011 Ford Explorer:
  • 2.4L T-I4: 2000 lbs
  • 3.5L V6: 5000 lbs
2011 Dodge Durango:
  • 3.6L V6: 6200 lbs
  • 5.7L V8: 7800 lbs

Seats
2011 Honda Pilot: 8
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 5
2011 Ford Explorer: 7
2011 Dodge Durango: 7

Lenght
2011 Honda Pilot: 190.9"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 189.8"
2011 Ford Explorer: 197.1"
2011 Dodge Durango: 199.8"

Weight
2011 Honda Pilot: 4608 lbs
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 4660 lbs
2011 Ford Explorer: ~4600 lbs
2011 Dodge Durango: 5331

2011 Ford Explorer

2011 Dodge Durango

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2011 Honda Pilot

Last edited:
I would pick either the Jeep Grand Cherokee, or the Dodge Durango, the Ford looks too similar to the Acadia (not sure if I spelt that right) from GMC, I like special styling. But I like how the Jeep is based on the M- Class Mercedes chassis, and the two designs by Dodge, and Jeep really have improved, really surprised.

I mean they transformed the plain old Durango into a whole new car

I mean before it looked so plain, and they thought it was a good idea to turn it into a Chrysler Aspen, which was the same thing basically with more luxury features.
Durango%20interior%20front.jpg

2004_dodge_durango_slt_4wd-pic-19688.jpeg

Wasn't a fan of the Grand Cherokee's unless it was the SRT-8 or the second gen Overland or freedom editions

0706_z+sporty_suvs_comparo+jeep_grand_cherokee_srt8.jpg

wj_overland_600.jpg

Pilot looks too dam boxy

The Durango just looks like a lifted Magnum if it had made it through to the new version of the Charger. I can totally see the appeal because of that, but it's not for me. I've also had nothing but luck with Ford products, and nothing but issues with Chrysler products. Pilot might be a nice car, it's just geeky. :p

I think I have been leaning toward the Ford because it is 3 rows and the new ecoboost engines are really nice. But that Jeep looks really good. The other problem is that the Jeep is a real "off road suv" and that is not what I need. The Explorer is a car/suv with some trail abilities which is more of what I am looking for.

Last edited:
I think I have been leaning toward the Ford because it is 3 rows and the new ecoboost engines are really nice. But that Jeep looks really good. The other problem is that the Jeep is a real "off road suv" and that is not what I need. The Explorer is a car/suv with some trail abilities which is more of what I am looking for.

As I understand it, the Jeep is primarily an on-road SUV, but has more off-road capability than other offerings, depending on the package. I've not seen the new Explorer in person, the new Cherokee is very attractive, and I really like that they did a lot of work to keep some of it's off-road roots. CBA to look myself, but what are the base/maxed MSRP's of these things?

Base MSRP:

2011 Honda Pilot: $28,045 - $41,175
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee: $30,215 - $46,180
2011 Ford Explorer: $28,190 - $44,500
2011 Dodge Durango: $29,195 - $43,795

Last edited:
First gen Pilot was handsomely styled, with only a cheap as chips interior dinging it IMO. The 2nd gen is uglier, drives worse, and has an even worse interior. Pass.

New Explorer seems to be "Ford Freestyle/Taurus X" Part 3. That's not a bad thing IMO, as I thought both of those D3 platform MPV's looked better than the Flex. Take that general Freestyle look, massage it and stretch it a bit and "tada!" new Explorer. The interior looks very nice and, because it shares a platform with Ford's current/past "minivan replacements" it has the deep storage well behind the third row that makes leaving it up a more doable affair for most people.

Durango gives off this "super long" vibe in photos...I'm sure its not terribly long but idk... I do like the interior and how they are pitching it as having real SUV capability w/ crossover styling and refinement. Grand Cherokee looks great too...If I was stuck between these two models...and I didn't absolutely need that last row, I'd go with the Jeep.

For me, it would be Jeep first followed by Explorer then Durango in terms of what I'd buy. Of course, being the minivan whore/fanboy I am, I'd consider one of those over any crossover/suv if I needed the third row, as they all probably drive better than any of these.

WTF?? Steelies with hubcaps on the base Explorer? come on now...how much would it have cost to have alloys standard on all trims? To be fair, the Pilot also has cheap looking wheels, but they aren't black steelies with hubcaps lol.

Last edited:
I'd go with the Jeep. Close second to the Ford.

Despite my previous disposition towards the new Jeep I still think it's one of the better "soft" SUVs on the market.

Going for the Jeep. The others don't have as much off road potential as it. Plus it looks good and it's based on the current Mercedes ML(so is the Durango)

Slightly OT, OP did you come back from a very long hiatus? Your username looks familiar from a long time ago.

The Jeep is the elegant one that doesnt try too hard.

if i were ever to buy one of these full-size SUV s, it would have to be, hands down, the Jeep Grand Cherokee. of the 4, the Jeep still has the ability to do some major off-road duty on it's stock set-up (although i might want to slap on some BF Goodrich All-Terrain Tires on there). the Explorer has become nothing more than an overgrown station wagon that would get stuck on your neighbor's flower bed on 4WD low. the Pilot is a decent attempt from Honda, but the uni body design makes it weak in towing and it's front-wheel-drive lay out doesn't help it's cause either. the Durango on the other hand is almost as rugged as the Grand Cherokee, but it seems like it's following that same trend that all full-size SUV s are going for, better aerodynamics, lower body height, and suspension more design for highway comfort than tackling the Rubicon.

but if i actually had the money to buy one of the 4, i rather have this...
lexus-lx470.jpg

a used Lexus LX470. looks great clean, an i bet it looks better with a set of BFG's and mud all over it.

Of the lot I wouldn't have any of them. The Ford isn't really an SUV anymore. It's a Taurus that someone overinflated. So it's going to be garbage off road. The Jeep and Dodge products......hell no. The Dodge minivan we have has 120,000 miles on it, with 115,000 of those being put on by my grandparents(We even have every service receipt!), yet has more problems than my Ford pickup that's sitting at 275,000. WAY more problems. And then there's the Dakota, which shattered a bellhousing and coughs out the throttle body for no valid reason. And then there's the other Caravan with 200K that runs like ass and has a driver's door that's about to fall off. Ltierally. My cousin has that one. So that rules the jeep and dodge out. Shame, really, as these two are the only proper SUVs in the selection. The other two are car-based crossover things.

But then the Honda isn't available with a stick, and it's FWD biased. So it's going to be junk in the rough stuff. It will be the most reliable vehicle there, though.

I'd choose the Honda if I was being forced to at gunpoint, but honestly, I wouldn't buy new if I were looking for something in this segment.

Of the lot I wouldn't have any of them. The Ford isn't really an SUV anymore. It's a Taurus that someone overinflated. So it's going to be garbage off road. The Jeep and Dodge products......hell no. The Dodge minivan we have has 120,000 miles on it, with 115,000 of those being put on by my grandparents(We even have every service receipt!), yet has more problems than my Ford pickup that's sitting at 275,000. WAY more problems. And then there's the Dakota, which shattered a bellhousing and coughs out the throttle body for no valid reason. And then there's the other Caravan with 200K that runs like ass and has a driver's door that's about to fall off. Ltierally. My cousin has that one. So that rules the jeep and dodge out. Shame, really, as these two are the only proper SUVs in the selection. The other two are car-based crossover things.

But then the Honda isn't available with a stick, and it's FWD biased. So it's going to be junk in the rough stuff. It will be the most reliable vehicle there, though.

I'd choose the Honda if I was being forced to at gunpoint, but honestly, I wouldn't buy new if I were looking for something in this segment.

The problem with what you are saying as I see it is that both Ford and Dodge/Jeep are different companies now that are starting to catch up to what the Germans and Japanese can do. That is why this is so interesting.

These look like they are the start of a new crop, that is why this is so interesting.

It depends on what you're using it for, but as a family runaround I think I'd take the Explorer. Yeah, not a proper SUV, who cares, the Explorer was always relatively poor off road anyway, and if offroading is your main worry find a used Wrangler. I like it because every other Ford I've driven in the past year - and the local Ford dealer has been doing a lot of "test drive one and we'll do a charity donation" events so I've been driving a lot of them (I'm just so charitable :p ) - has been really fantastically good, including the Taurus on which the Explorer is based.

Grand Cherokee, the others are just glorified minivans. The Grand Cherokee at least has some off road capability. If I was looking for CUV I would probably go with the Explorer, but I'd much rather have a regular car than a CUV.

Last edited:
The problem with what you are saying as I see it is that both Ford and Dodge/Jeep are different companies now that are starting to catch up to what the Germans and Japanese can do. That is why this is so interesting.

These look like they are the start of a new crop, that is why this is so interesting.

I wouldn't be so harsh on Dodge if the three I've had to work on hadn't been such utter piles. The Durango is the best SUV there if you get one that actually works, but my own previous history with Mopar products tells me to stay away and go for the Ford or the Honda....which are both cars with big tires trying to say they're SUVs.

Idunno, perhaps the new Fiat management will make Mopars reliable. I haven't heard Top Gear ripping on Fiat reliability like they do Citroen and Renault, so there's hope yet. Still...Fiat isn't exactly known for building a good 4x4. So will that reliability cost the Cherokee and Durango some of their SUV qualities? That remains to be seen and I'll revise my judgement once the Fiat-built models have been on the road for a few years and proven themselves.

and the local Ford dealer has been doing a lot of "test drive one and we'll do a charity donation" events so I've been driving a lot of them (I'm just so charitable :p )

How many of those were fast cars? I know if Burchett had a deal like that I'd drop my F150 off for some front-end work, then test drive every manual trans performance car on the lot.

I'm very charitable if it means I get to drive nice cars :D