Clarkson: Jeremy Clarkson hates you Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. You travel over a quarter of a million miles in either direction through space and what do you do when you get there? Play golf?

Yes.

If we'd done that we'd have launched two Saturn V's simultaneously with a moon buggy on each, first to the moon and complete three laps of the Sea of Tranquility and back to earth is the winner.

Ah, the British space programme... Remind me, how many times have you gone to the moon? How many men have you put into space? Hell, how many satellites have you launched? I'm thinking it's one satellite, zero astronauts, zero moon landings. Better get to work.

And while we're on the subject of the space race and stupidity, NASA invested millions of dollars to create a ballpoint pen that would write in zero gravity.

No, they didn't.

Reactions: MWF
We may be fat, stupid, and largely incestuous... but we played golf on the moon. Good luck topping that one.

It's for the former reason that i believe the latter was just acted out on a sound stage somewhere ;)

"I'm thinking it's one satellite, zero astronauts, zero moon landings."

That's correct. Our government didn't spend most of the 60's wasting billions of taxpayers' money playing "keeping up with the Jones's". Oh hang on, yes it did. It subsidised the Concorde project to the tune of God knows how much.

Yes.

Ah, the British space programme... Remind me, how many times have you gone to the moon? How many men have you put into space? Hell, how many satellites have you launched? I'm thinking it's one satellite, zero astronauts, zero moon landings. Better get to work.

No, they didn't.

Stop acting so smug, 'we did this', 'we did that'. Pretty much everything in America, or the base of anything that made it a successful country like the legal, economic, social, higher education and military systems, came from Britain in the first place as im sure you already know (its actually ridiculous how similar you are); but people just look at the little things that make very little difference, like burgers or whatever. (only joking)

I know alot of americans and get on with them as well as anyone but I just can't bear this ignorant 'we saved your ass in the war!!' style attitude; its because of people like you that everyone gets the idea of americans being ignorant, which is largely unfair.

Of course, there are many merits to subscription television. We have it here in the United States, in fact. Many people enjoy quality programs on networks like HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax. Those people do so through an act of their own free choice, and are not compelled by threat of legal retribution. I, for example, own a color television. On this television, I often play video games and occasionally watch DVDs. I never watch television shows. If I lived under your regime, I would be forced to shell out nearly $400 every year, which happens to be nearly twice the value of my television. By the way, did I mention I'd receive no benefits from this tax?

Viva la revolution.

I don't see why you regard this as such a big thing...you do realise that it isn't just television that the money goes to, the most listened to radio stations and most visited websites. Anyway, how is this different than paying slightly more income tax because your governments' budget needs to cover something you don't personally agree with?

Last edited:
We may be fat, stupid, and largely incestuous... but we played golf on the moon. Good luck topping that one.

Thats if you believe they actually went to the moon. ;)

Oh dear, I said this wouldn't end well. It's just a sea of 1 poster, neg-reppers.

As for Griswold talking about Boycotting the sponsors... TopGear doesn't have any, the only people funding the shows on the Beeb are us license fee payers, and you think that Brits will refuse to pay because an American doesn't like what Jeremy says. Lol.

Five astronauts, thanks.

And then plenty satellites on Ariane rockets, as we're a member of the ESA. It seems a bit unfair to pick on the UK for this when we're 6 times smaller in population and in size terms smaller than some of your states.

I, for example, own a color television. On this television, I often play video games and occasionally watch DVDs. I never watch television shows. If I lived under your regime, I would be forced to shell out nearly $400 every year, which happens to be nearly twice the value of my television. By the way, did I mention I'd receive no benefits from this tax?

I don't think you fully understand how the license fee works. If you don't watch TV; you don't pay it. Yes, you might have to go to a few lengths to persuade them you don't watch tv - "Look guv, no aerial, honest" - but there're a fair few people who use TVs just for games or DVDs or whatever.

Well he hasn't made fun of us Canadians yet. That has to be a good thing. Right?

America-light, right? :p

Oh wait yes, they do have a sponsor...I'm not 100% now but doesn't Chevy sponsor Top Gear as the car for the star in a reasonably priced car? I guess I'll do my share as an American by boycotting GM then. :)

The BBC wouldn't have been allowed to accept the Chevy as a gift, because product placement and the like is banned on UKTV. They would have had to go and purchase (and pay for) the Lacetti themselves.

Well he hasn't made fun of us Canadians yet. That has to be a good thing. Right?
There is one episode where Clarkson says "baggy-trousered Canadian bloke" in reference to Jacques Villeneuve, but I can't remember which one.

The BBC wouldn't have been allowed to accept the Chevy as a gift, because product placement and the like is banned on UKTV. They would have had to go and purchase (and pay for) the Lacetti themselves.

Hence it's a reasonably priced car rather than a slightly better that might last longer.

With regards the TV License and the rest, i always find it great that initiated from the taxpayer's initial funding of the BBC (because it's only the BBC) the Americans log onto the BBC website as much as their own news websites because they view the BBC as more reliable and less bias. I think the BBC generates as much from advertising and overseas sales that it might not really need the license fee, though every little helps.

How can I say this?

Ah yes!

facepalm2sn8.jpg

If you cannot be made fun of or make fun of something, please kindly remove the dipstick from your rear orifice. Thank you very much.

First of all, in one episode, Clarkson refers to south america as a place who only has drugs.
I live in Brazil ( and for the geographically poor, it IS in south america), and did not feel any urge to boycott the show, I just laughed.

And about the british TV fee, I would glady pay more than 3x that for a TV with the quality you guys have, I've lived in London for about 1 year and a half and the TV is awesome. (I also fell in love with the tarmac)

Finally, what's about this "Who's best" competion? Don't you guys have anything more to do than behave like children saying "My toy is better than your's"?
I'm German, lived both at my homeland and in the US, and both countries have their pro's and con's, find the one that suits you best and live there.

PS: European cars are undoubtly better than their american rivals.

Hello all,
My first post on this Forum in response to this OP, for information a similar or verbatim rant appears here:

www.answerbag.com/q_view/885225

.. (didn?t check it word for word!)

At first, I thought this may be anti-Marketing ?knocking copy?, by NBC?s competitors, perfect timing while the suits decide to commission the American Top Gear or not.
(Pilot filmed last Saturday - good reports filtering out from the Journalists & Internet etc.) It does look like a bit like a ?buffed up? press release.

However, now I am not so sure. He?s probably a ?lone nut? Forum trouble maker with some Jezza issues. (Well, quite a few it would seem!)

So, Griswold please confirm you are not connected with any TV Networks or similar, then we can be sure of the latter option above.

We support freedom of speech, agree with your views or not, but continue to enjoy the best car-based entertainment show in the world!

Sometimes I really do think he hates the rest of the world, but I think its all in good fun. Fine he hates American cars, so? Does that stop Americans from buying them ? ABSOLUTELY not! I know it wont stop me. I love European cars just as much.

It helps the ratings, and if you cant laugh at yourself sometimes then something is wrong with you.

If you cant bear then it don't watch the show, or just ignore it. Its really not that hard.

I Shall continue to watch TOP GEAR!!!!!!!!! Thankyou! :cool:

Clarkson makes fun of everyone because everyone truly deserves it. Every single person on earth is stupid, ignorant, dishonest, apathetic and pathetic in some way or another. Most comedy just takes things that humanity generally isn't proud of and makes light of it. I live in America and I will tell you first hand that most everyone here is stupid and ignorant in some way, and I could probably say the same for any place surrounded by imaginary lines on the planet. Everyone should get over it; we're all human and therefore we're not perfect. Laugh about it when you can.

Anyway, if Clarkson was given an hour devoted to make fun of me personally I would probably still laugh.

Oh, and NASA is undoubtedly the best space program. Period. :cool:

Congrats to the .uk for the most trolls in one thread!

I think the BBC generates as much from advertising and overseas sales that it might not really need the license fee, though every little helps.

Without wishing to get into an in-depth discussion about the LF, it generates about 25 times as much income as BBC Worldwide does.

Status
Not open for further replies.