Jeremy Clarkson hits back!

There is in some states in Aussieland. In Victoria, there is a limit on the power per tonne, and in NSW they've banned all Turbocharged and Supercharged cars.. which is quite daft, because they've even banned 660cc turbocharged daihatsus... There has to be some regulations and exceptions.
:jawdrop:
Does the idiot who created that law even know what a car is?

Sure he does, but you see, he isn't young.

I have to say, when I said young people shouldn't have too fast cars, I mean't one self should limit what one drive, with COMMON SENSE.

Banning turbo cars, right, what if you want a WV Polo Diesel with a Turbo?

There's a Norwegian Poet, named Arnulf ?verland, who once wrote "Du skal ikke t?le s? inderlig vel, den urett som ikke rammer deg selv [...]" or "You should not stand very well, the injustice that does not limit you (as a person) [...]"

I am a rubbish translater, but you get the point. The madman behind that Aussie law should read that poem.

its the complete lack of skill that some drivers have. speed is fine until your not in control of it.
One of the hallmarks of an experienced, skilled driver is their ability to judge road conditions and adjust their speed accordingly. The quality of the road, amount of grip, visibility, surrounding traffic, etc. are all factored into the equation.

This is the fundamental reason why speed limits are rather silly. A well-trained driver simply does not need to be told what speed is "safe." They have the ability to determine a prudent speed in this car on this road at this time under these conditions. A poorly trained driver lacks these skills...and shouldn't be on the road in the first place. Driving is one of the most dangerous things the majority of us will ever do in our lives. It should be accorded due seriousness.

Ultimately, traffic fatalities will only decline once we focus on real driver training. Simply learning how to parallel park and make a K-turn is grossly insufficient.

That's really stupid. This just means you can go as fast as you wish without risking harder punishment. Really stupid.

What the twat where they thinking?

what is harder than suspension? They can't send you to jail, remember, Speeding is an infringement of the law, it is not criminal.

what is harder than suspension? They can't send you to jail, remember, Speeding is an infringement of the law, it is not criminal.
Longer suspention. And I believe you can go to jail for speeding in Norway. And they could issue a bigger fine.

But speeding isn't too serious, in my mind.

^You can go to jail for DUI, but not plain speeding regardless of how fast you drive... if the only offense you have done was speeding (no influence, no hitting people, no running from the cops), it is a fine and at most license suspension... yes they could make the suspension longer, but what would be the threshold?

and AFAIK, in most law systems, I don't think you can go to jail even if you topped out a Veyron in a school zone (Unless you hit someone).

and AFAIK, in most law systems, I don't think you can go to jail even if you topped out a Veyron in a school zone (Unless you hit someone).

You can and people do in this country as they will do you for Dangerous Driving or Driving without Due Care and Attention.

I don't have too big of a problem with speed limits, since (for the most part) they keep everyone going ar roughly (give or take) a similar speed. You won't have a 68 year old in a Buick going 40 being rear-ended by a 33 year-old in a SL63 doing 80, who wasn't expecting another car to be going so slow on the road. If nothing else, the posted speed limits keeps people within 15 mph, or so, so you're not constantly coming up to cars going different speeds.

Don't get me wrong, I think most speed limits are at leat 10mph too slow, but there are a lot of shitty cars that may not be able to handle the speeds with proper control...

Just a ocuple thoughts...

But you get idiots like that old guy you mentioned as an example over here and they can still cause issues for people just doing 70 (the limit) on the motorway! I nearly hit someone the other day when joining a motorway as they were going so slowly!

For the most part I agree with Clarkson's views on speed entirely.
Also, I have always thought he is top of the tree in his industry...But one thing is peeing me off slightly just now -- him making light of Hammond's injuries so he can keep saying he is living proof that speed don't kill - ok, maybe he's right - but at least be man enough to admit the guys having to battle with more than just a broken arm or something.
Sorry - fully expecting to get my butt kicked for this - but he's trotted out this line at least 3 times to my knowledge and was telling us just 48 hours after the accident that Hammond was Ok, which clearly, at the time wasn't the case - Your point is basically correct, Clarkson, but stop being so economical with the truth.;)

I do agree with you on some points.

There are lots of proof that a high speed crash will cause serious injoury and/or death in very many cases.

The question is, does this mean that speed causes accidents to the extent some imply?